• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First signs of spring (1 Viewer)

Migration is starting to pick up here. New arrivals this weekend included:

Yellow Warbler
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Broad-tailed Hummingbird
Olive Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Chipping Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, and Dark-eyed Juncos are still present in their wintering habitats.

Palo verdes are now in full bloom, prickly pear and other cactus species are just starting.

Seen local reports of Elf Owl and Hooded Oriole recently. It's getting harder to sit here in the office all day!

Finally seeing great blue herons inland from the ocean now that the lakes and ponds are icing-out. Got my first photo of one today since December.

Black Throated Diver

I still haven't seen a single summer migrant this year (closest is Chiffchaff but those overwinter here in Cornwall in decent number anyway so doesn't really count).

I did see my first sum. plum. Black-throated Diver on patch though today, a big bonus and an indication that wintering birds are still just about hanging on.
I think its always nice if you can get birds like the Black Throated Diver in Summer plumage on your local patch or any of the divers, here in
Derbyshire I have had nice views of summer plumaged Slavonian Grebe into
April and black necked Grebe too a pair once in may The Slavonian was
Present from February slowly building up to summer plumage and was a
joy to see in the spring as were the black necked grebe but being so
Land locked here in Derbyshire anything out the norm like the grebes I always
think is quite special I can add a Red Necked Grebe to the group also
on the 8th of may 2000 That was and still is I think the latest may record
And spring record in Derbyshire I only wished I had had a Camera with me
As this bird allowed close views not another bird watcher in sight till I
Reported it but it was never seen close to like that again during its
stay I was very priviledged I knew that at the time.

First Lucy's Warblers have arrived and are singing along the Santa Cruz River. Nashville Warblers are migrating through, and adult male Yellow-rumped Warblers are dwindling in numbers.

I noticed a fully fledged House Sparrow being fed in my backyard the other day.

I noticed a fully fledged House Sparrow being fed in my backyard the other day.

Are you sure it wasn't courtship feeding?

Or are do they breed that early in your part of the world (also think I've heard that some may nest in warm factory locations out of normal season, unless I imagined that ... ?!)

Are you sure it wasn't courtship feeding?

Or are do they breed that early in your part of the world (also think I've heard that some may nest in warm factory locations out of normal season, unless I imagined that ... ?!)

Definitely a fledgling - gape and all. But some birds here start breeding as early as January/February - the winters are pretty mild. Actually, having grown up in the Midwest, I wouldn't call what we experience in southern Arizona "winter" at all ;)

I was over the lakes district last Saturday and we seen Wheatears, Meadow Pipits, and a single Whinchat. Also a few fellow nest recorders have found breeding Woodlarks nest with 3 eggs.
Spring is here.

Skylarks on the Forsinard Flow nature reserve.

Toad and Frog spawn aplenty. No midges yet.... so its early spring ;)

Had the first wave of red-winged blackbirds a couple weeks ago, when the lakes were still frozen. They disappeared after a couple of days, but now there are more blackbirds along with an increase in grackles and starlings. The neighborhood has been getting gradually noisier, with changed behaviors like robins stalking the grass and enjoying birdbaths, instead of flocking to fruit trees. Today saw my first pair of bluebirds, and a mourning cloak (butterfly).

More signs of spring. The cat has brought in a frog for me and left it on the basement tile. Slightly injured on the front leg but well able to hop several feet repeatedly when let go.

And don't worry. The cats have an enclosure in the back where they would almost never have access to catching any bird.

Attachments

• 2014 04 03 17 42 19.jpg
    2014 04 03 17 42 19.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 14
Purple Heron in Cornwall was an early overshoot

Mallard with duckling brood also reported in Cornwall on the 2nd.

Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps much in evidence singing in local woods, overwintering Whimbrel still about, a few other bits moving about. Bumblebees everywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back