• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rookery monitoring (1 Viewer)

gareth_blockley

Smile people
Afternoon,

I have a Rookery on my local patch and would like some tips on how to successfully count the nests / monitor breeding success without disturbing them. I have read mid-april is the best time to do a count of active nests.
The Rookery is in mixed plantation (mainly pine and alder) with most of the nests in the pine trees and therefore actually quite hard to see if they are active or not. If I walk underneath the nests all the birds flush and I can't actually see which nests are active. There is no vantage point that I can use to see the nests from outside of the wood.
So, anyone have any tips please?

Cheers
Gareth

Afternoon,

I have a Rookery on my local patch and would like some tips on how to successfully count the nests / monitor breeding success without disturbing them. I have read mid-april is the best time to do a count of active nests.
The Rookery is in mixed plantation (mainly pine and alder) with most of the nests in the pine trees and therefore actually quite hard to see if they are active or not. If I walk underneath the nests all the birds flush and I can't actually see which nests are active. There is no vantage point that I can use to see the nests from outside of the wood.
So, anyone have any tips please?

Cheers
Gareth

Do what you've done. Most of the nests if not all will be this years anyway. Winter gales destroy most nests. All my Rookery counts are carried out just by walking through and counting the nests. Keep a record year on year. I re-visit and re-count every two weeks starting from January when they start to build until mid may. Visiting at the beginning of January will tell you if any of last years nests survived the winter.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back