• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Farnham Heath & Frensham Common, Surrey (1 Viewer)

BrockwellBee

I am planning a day trip (early morning to early evening) to both of these sites in Surrey in mid-April (probably any day between 10th and 15th). As I have never been to either site, would anyone like to share their experiences of one or both sites? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I would love to see Woodlarks, Tree Pipits, Dartford Warblers and Woodcocks.

It would great to know about what birds I can expect and how challenging they are to see. Are the Woodlarks at RSPB Farnham Heath active and therefore readily viewable in mid-April? I have looked at most forums but there does not seem to be so much information about sightings for heathland species at both reserves.

Hi there,
Never been to Farnham Heath, only been to Frensham a couple of times.. however, I've visited Thursley Common (which is only a few miles from Frensham) countless times, which has much of the same species and more.. (Only seen linnet at Frensham but not at Thursley)... Apologies if you're familiar with this site.

Woodlarks: I've never been and not seen one, whatever time of year. See my avatar!
Tree pipits: Easily heard and seen on telegraph wires and tree tops.
Redstarts: Should be back on territory by mid-april, again easily heard and, if you wander anywhere near their nest sites, they will pop up and tell you off!
Nightjars: Guaranteed. 7 Churring males last June, April too early though.

Unfortunately, I've not seen a Dartford Warbler for 4 yrs now, there was one reported at Chobham common last year but they've disappeared from Surrey heathland sites due to the recent winters. And Woodcocks are better seen at alternative sites, never seen them roding at Thursley. I'll assume the 2 Great Grey Shrikes will have gone by then

Other interesting species include breeding curlew, stonechat, whitethroat, garden warbler, all the typical woodland species, GS and G woodpeckers, hobby from early May, buzzards, the odd peregrine, plus tawny owls can be heard if you hang around late enough for the nightjars.

It's a very big area to cover, PM me if you want more specific places to see the specialities.

Not visited Farnham Heath very often but given the effort made to clear a large area of forestry at the site to encourage Woodlarks, they should be seen & heard. There is a small visitor centre which is only manned on a part time basis, but information should be available on the RSPB's website.
Frensham Common will also have typical heathland species inc Woodlark, Stonechat etc, & also Thursley where I find Woodlark are quite easy to find especially on an early morning visit, learn the song for greater chance of success. Tree Pipits will also be seen at both sites from early - mid April, look for their parachute display flights from Pines. Woodcock are easier to see when performing their roding display flights at dusk particularly during May. They can be seen on all the West Surrey commons, I find Puttenham & Thundry Meadows to be reliable. Dartford Warbler are difficult to find now on the commons, but as the previous poster says Chobham has a few & also Crooksbury has a small returning population. In fact Crooksbury will also offer Woodlark, Tree Pipit, Redstart, possible Crossbill, Hobby, Nightjars (best during May/June), & Woodcock.
PM me if you want more info.

Cheers,

John.

I went to Frensham common in may last year and within five minutes saw my first (and only) Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. For what it's worth that was at the West (north side) side of great Frensham pond about 50 yards away from bacon lane on the path going along the edge of the pond. Although definitive the photos I got are awful and have been on a mission to see another ever since! This one was with a small mixed flock of tits.

Only other thing I'd mention was the map I took (from book where to watch birds in britain) made the path system and working out a circular route look quite easy. I got totally lost as there are hundreds of paths criss crossing each other, so make sure you get a detailed picture of the area beforehand.

Good luck! George

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back