• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Convertion mm vs X factor (1 Viewer)

jose

Alledged user
Does anyone know where can I find a convertion table that will tell me what a lens lenght is relatively in magnification factor?

Generally 1x per 50mm, or 2x per 100mm.

So a camera with a 300mm lens gives approx the same view as a scope with 6x mag; 400mm gives 8x; 500mm gives 10x; 600mm gives 12x.

Same applies if using teleconvertors...

500mm+2x = 1000mm = 20x Mag.
600mm+2x = 1200mm = 24x Mag.

Hope that helps.

The factors are different with most digital cameras, though - at least I believe so. The factor is ... er ... I forget already. Roughly a third, so 500mm in a standard 35mm format is the equivalent of about 750 or 800mm if you are using it with a digital SLR.

Doubtless some kind soul will drop by shortly and give us the correct figures.

Sprry...yes, I'm speaking about straight mag on a lens, and would be correct for straight 45mm or a DSLR with a full frame sensor (35mmx24mm).

If your Digicam/camera body has a different sensor size - eg like APS or smaller, then would be a slightly different magnification. EG. the Canon D60/10D has an extra 1.6x increase to those I gave above. Other cameras have different sizes..and yo need to check the manual...

Some will argue it's a crop and not a magnification factor...but the end result is the same.

So for the Canon 10D
a 500mm becomes a 720mm giving 14x
a 600mm becomes 960mm, giving 19x

add a teleconvertor (2x) and you get...

500 + 2x = 1000 x 1.6 = 1600mm = 32x
600 + 2x = 1200 x 1.6 = 1920mm = 38x

If only the world where simple!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back