• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jackdaw subspp, NE England (1 Viewer)

Mark Lew1s

My real name is Mark Lewis
Having seen this bird well in good light, I'm fairly happy it's a monedula (i.e. 'Scandinavian') type rather than soemmerringii ('Russian') type Jackdaw (notwithstanding the possibility of intergrades, of course).

I'd welcome any thoughts from anyone though - I don't have a great deal of experience of these!

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 100
Or could easily be a local spermologus bird, an apparent 'eastern' Jackdaw in Northumbs (at Killingworth) a couple of years ago lost its credentials when it was seen collecting nest material.

Where was this one?

It seems to be symmetrical Mark (both sides but fading on the nape?). Symmetrical leucism at play....not unlike this one taken a few weeks ago, albeit on the wings?

Attachments

• A white winged Jackdaw..jpg
    A white winged Jackdaw..jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 95
Or could easily be a local spermologus bird, an apparent 'eastern' Jackdaw in Northumbs (at Killingworth) a couple of years ago lost its credentials when it was seen collecting nest material.

Where was this one?

Why would nesting cause a loss of credentials? Eastern phenotypes are as close as Holland so nesting surely not out of the question.

Looks like a nice monedula to me too, underparts look good and a good collar

And on the staying to breed thing, I think (off the top of my head) there are several occasions where this has been reported - I guess its not that surprising if young birds end up in the wrong place... May result in birds that look (slightly) eastern that are in fact local just with some gene flow, or just be eastern birds that are now breeding in the wrong place...

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back