• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need recommendations on an 8x compact (1 Viewer)

johnnymg

Greets

I need an 8x Compact and would like to get a bino that's reasonably decent quality but not crazy expensive like a Zeiss.

I'd like to keep the price ~ $200. Compact size is #1 priority and optical clarity/glare resistance #2. Need at least 13mm ER.

These Minox 8x binos look like a possibility but I'd like to hear from you folks before jumping: http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=4496&L=2

cheers ;)
JohnG

Last edited:
Greets

I need an 8x Compact and would like to get a bino that's reasonably decent quality but not crazy expensive like a Zeiss.

I'd like to keep the price ~ $200. Compact size is #1 priority and optical clarity/glare resistance #2. Need at least 13mm ER.

These Minox 8x binos look like a possibility but I'd like to hear from you folks before jumping: http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=4496&L=2

cheers ;)
JohnG

I have seen the Minox compacts and they were not anything special. Not bad per se but nothing that will gain accolades from the enthusiasts. You might actually score a Zeiss double hinge in that range if you look carefully. They have improved since those models but should still be quite representative and useful. Also, 8x20s will have glare, ie mad glare in some cases. But it's easy to shield from stray light. Just one of the things you learn to deal with using compacts. I recall from another post that I think Kevin made where the gist of it was essentially that a larger (than one's eye pupil) exit pupil would be conducive to less glare, ie an exit pupil > 2.5mm. Can someone confirm? I don't think I've noticed much glare with my 7x26 but I haven't really tried.

The recent deal on the 8x25 Columbia at Cameraland still sound like a great deal. I haven't seen them though. I'm sure if you call them they will give you the real scoop and the price and return policy are right.

This little Minox is not too bad, probably the best compact from Minox since it has phase corrected prisms. Be careful that you get a good one, since quality control with cheap chinese binoculars is often very bad. Phase correction is what you have to look for in a small roof prism binocular, it is not common at all under 200€. Other binoculars that I think are phase corrected are the Olympus 8x25 WPI and the Pentax 8x25 DCF MC II. They both have a rather small FOV, but built quality might be better.
If you look for the newer (black) Minox 8x25 BR BV be careful to check for phase correction, since it is not anymore listed in the technical data page.

johnnymg,

I have one and use it as my lunch break binocular. It does what it's supposed to do, I like the form factor and I think it's quite solid.
(Despite this, it has become slightly miscollimated, so I need to twist the barrels just a little.) The image is quite clear, not too narrow and the eye relief is acceptable as I just barely can see the field stop if I press them onto my spectacles.
The field of view is, or feels, relatively narrow.

Undoubtedly, it could be a little sharper but I guess that's what happens if you get a 25 mm bin.
I had a Bushnell H2O 10x25 before it and the shift was a huge improvement, the Bushnell being very dim and with very low contrast. It was just crap, to be frank.

The weakest part of the Minox BV 8x25 is how it handles backlighting. The glare can be very annoying - something you really have to consider before the purchase.

This review is the best I found for the Minox. If you copy the text and let Google Translate eh...translate it, it's not too bad. A few words are not being translated, possibly due to misspelling of the original German text, but as a whole it is at least possible to get the "spiritual meaning":

http://lx3.peperkorn-online.de/category/hardware/fernglas/minox/minox-bv-8x25-brw/

Kind regards

L

Last edited:
Think I might give the REI 8x25 (Columbia?) a try. Worst case, I just return it.

Will post back later in the week with my take on it.

cheers
JohnG

The 8x25 REI is not the same as the 8x25 Columbia/Kruger Backcountry. You might try calling Cameraland to see if they have one left, and if not then try Amazon

JohnG,

Keep in mind that the Columbia is pretty big and heavy (14 ounces) for a compact. Your first priority was size, right?

Consider this: the Olympus 8x25 Tracker reverse porro is cheaper, sharper, lighter (by about 4 ounces!) and smaller, especially in the case. The Columbia case is a hardshell and you have to flatten the bin to get it in. The Columbia does have a nice wide field of view though.

The new(er) Minox BVII 8x25 weighs just 9.1 ounces, but I haven't seen it. It may not be phase coated--I don't know. The Columbia is phase coated but still shows more CA than the Olympus and also the Leica 8x20 UV.

Just some thoughts,
Mark

Steiner 10x26 Safari Pro get a good review. not tried them myself, but will probably get a pair before long.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Steiner10x26SafariPro-36.htm

Hmm.... I don't know.

I had Steiner Skyhawk 10x26's and was pretty much disappointed with their performance. Pentax 10x28's were better, but not satisfying in the long range.

The alpha compacts I've looked through, are the only roof compacts that give clear and razorsharp views. Otherwise, much cheaper reverse porro's in the 8x25 models are the way to go IMO.

Best regards,

Ronald

Steiner makes some cool military looking things, and if I had a use for IF, I would get a 8x30 some day. But they are better off leaving the little 26mm toys for others. I seem to remember most of them as dim.

The 8x25 REI is not the same as the 8x25 Columbia/Kruger Backcountry. You might try calling Cameraland to see if they have one left, and if not then try Amazon

That's interesting because the other thread sort of implies they are the same bino. The specs look virtually identical.

JohnG

That's interesting because the other thread sort of implies they are the same bino. The specs look virtually identical.

JohnG

John

I believe the other thread only implies that Kruger may have furnished binos to both REI & Columbia via Xi'am Vision. While the FOV & weight may be similar, these are VERY different binos

The 8x25 Columbia Backcountry has additional AR coatings, phase coating, silvered prisms, H2C scratch & water repellant coatings, and are argon filled.

The 8x25 REI XR has none of the above and is nitrogen filled.

Also REI is not noted as being a "low cost" supplier. Any decent phase coated small roof such as the 8x25 Leupold Olympic, 9x25 Bushnell Legend, 8x25 Carson XM HD are going to set you back around $150-$200, and the 8x25Columbia was originally introduced at $219.

As others have recommended, the 8x25 Olympus Tracker PCI is an excellent reverse porro for around $60 or so, but is not waterproof.

Tom

John

I believe the other thread only implies that Kruger may have furnished binos to both REI & Columbia via Xi'am Vision. While the FOV & weight may be similar, these are VERY different binos

The 8x25 Columbia Backcountry has additional AR coatings, phase coating, silvered prisms, H2C scratch & water repellant coatings, and are argon filled.

The 8x25 REI XR has none of the above and is nitrogen filled.

Also REI is not noted as being a "low cost" supplier. Any decent phase coated small roof such as the 8x25 Leupold Olympic, 9x25 Bushnell Legend, 8x25 Carson XM HD are going to set you back around $150-$200, and the 8x25Columbia was originally introduced at $219.

As others have recommended, the 8x25 Olympus Tracker PCI is an excellent reverse porro for around $60 or so, but is not waterproof.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the additional clarification. I don't need waterproof......... just something light and not too flare prone. My compact Nikon 10x binos really break down when used with front lighting.

Edit: So I stumbled on this thread about the Eagle optics 8x: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=188394
This compact looks like an excellent candidate. Ready to order.........

cheers
JohnG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back