• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost mass 8x32 re-view! (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Hi,
I followed a link to a site that I found here on BirdForum that had a great re-view, on a large number of 8x32 binoculars, of a wide range of manufacturer's and prices but now I can no longer find it!
Can any one help me find it again?
Thanks

Pshaw! The Porters only used a 2x doubler for the resolution test. The "56x minimum" optics mavens won't accept those results, although the Porters used a 5 pt. scale, so we don't actually know the resolution results for each bin in arc seconds.

They did add this caveat:

"Even resolution scores, which we measured carefully, can have a margin of error. The difference between 5.0 and 4.8 may loom large on a chart, but such scores are actually not far apart. In the field, your eyes may not see any difference."

Almost every professional reviewer who tests bins uses a doubler or 2.5x to rest resolution since those are readily available. But they are all wrong, wrong, wrong, I tell you! Nothing less than 56x will produce scientifically accurate results!

Of course, I'm being facetious. A friend, who shall remain nameless ere he get snickered at by the 56ers, uses a 2.5x double and a halfer, and by and large the numbers he's shown me agree with those posted by the 56x mavins. Minor differences could be due to sample variation.

Thanks Ben for the link. I hadn't read their updated review. They did a similar review of midsized bins a few years back that was published (or at least condensed) in Bird Watcher's Digest, but they only compared a handful of models. This review has much more variety. It's also nice to have the chart so one can compare the specs and ratings on various models.

This time, they also included porros, which I'm glad to see.

I also like the comparison chart so you can see the scores for each category rather than just the final score, since some categories such as "Fit & feel" and "Diopter location" can be rather subjective and based on different criteria than you might find relevant.

It was interesting to see the Pentax 8x36 NV roof ($219) ranked slightly above the 8x30 Yosemite ($99) in resolution. That shows how far affordable-priced roofs have come in the past 10 years. I tried the 8x36 NV and was impressed with the views, particularly for the price point.

The other change is that you can buy a roof that is roughly equivalent to a low priced porro for $100 more. Chinese production has helped narrow the cost gap btwn roofs and porros.

"May you live in interesting times."

These certainly are interesting times for bino fans. More choices than ever at almost every price point (even a little less lonely at the top).

Sadly, the choice btwn premium midsized CF porros comes down to only two: 8x32 SE and 8x30 Habicht. The last of the midsized porrosauruses to escape extinction after the Cambrian Roof Explosion. Got to give credit to Nikon and Swaro for keeping the "species" alive.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the numbers (or small difference in the rankings) they most hit the correct review points and get the order roughty right e.g. don't put too much faith on the 1/2/3 order at the top you may think differently.

Given the bins I own and use that they review (FL, EDG, Meopta, Yosemite) they hit almost all the pros and cons correctly.

The one I'd haggle with is the diopter adjust on the EDG. I prefer it to the FL because the FL as a big detent at around zero (usually where I need the finest adjustment) and the friction on the pull-up on the FL relative to the twisting force to focus means you can knock the focus off just slightly when setting the diopter. I never get this on the EDG. I found the mechanism very straight forward.

"May you live in interesting times."

These certainly are interesting times for bino fans. More choices than ever at almost every price point (even a little less lonely at the top).

Indeed. And yet, the more I compare my SV to my SE, the more I think that God has New Binoculars...and they´re roofs.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back