• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small green bird, Itatiaia, Brazil (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
Getting near the end of the Itatiaia pics. This was a small green bird with red feet, living in the forest.

Attachments

• _01-11.jpg
    _01-11.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 160
  • _02-6.jpg
    _02-6.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Max and Roberta. I believe you may be right and this probably is a female Manakin, unfortunately there are quite a few in Brazil, all looking near identical, but fortunately not too many in range.

According to van Perlo, if a Manakin, the possibilities on range are White-bearded or Blue (of which I saw a few males Lekking).

Red-headed, White-crowned, Blue-backed, Eastern-striped are just out of range (north of Rio).

My book doesn't have Golden-collared, only Golden-crowned or Golden-headed but both are way up in the Amazon region, so I think not likely.

The Blue Manakin looks bigger than the White-bearded, but I'm not sure if the sizes in van Perlo refer to the male only or both. The Blue Manakin male has a longer tail. Here's a pic of one in a lek (taken elsewhere) for comparison.

Attachments

• _Blue Manakin_01.jpg
    _Blue Manakin_01.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back