• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visionary (1 Viewer)

Chris.R.

Hi,
had opportunity to try out some optics recently at a wildlife centre nearby. Bins were very comfortable (important for me) Visionary Fieldtrek, had not heard of them before being a newbie - anyone got experience of using these bins good or bad reviews welcome.
They were going for around £115

Any advice welcome on this make.

Chris

Chris,

I'm guessing you mean Visionary FieldTracker. I'm not sure if there was a previous version but the current version is the EmeralD, reviewed here:
http://www.opticalhardware.co.uk/PD..._price_lists/visionary-fieldtrackerreview.pdf

It that was that one, then £115 would be a very good price. I've been told that they have been demoing a 'Diamond' version as well, but not seen a spec for that.

I believe they are made in Kunming in China and may be distributed by United Optics.
http://www.united-optics.com/Produc...tdoor_Binoculars/BW10_Series/BW10_Series.html
That shouldn't put you off. The same group of companies produce some very good pairs under different badges ( but with potentially slightly different specifications.)

David

Seems there is also a Visionary Fieldtracker Graphite which is non-ED and rather cheaper. The Visionary Fieldtracker Graphite (allotrope of carbon) should not of course be confused with the Celestron Granite (igneous rock) which is indeed an ED model :-O

David, Sherwoods-Photo have an as new Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32 in their demo section for £105. Good deal for someone ;)

I think Chris's (Norm) suggestion is the better candidate. I'd missed that one.

ChrisR, it would seem, the main difference between the two is the use of ED (extra-low dispersion) glass. This should reduce chromatic aberration (colour fringing) which can usually be found in high contrast situations, mostly at the edge of the view. Not everyone notices it, but ED glass is currently a major selling point. The trouble is, there are many grades of ED glass, and the best performance is found with thicker lenses of the most expensive types. You should judge for your self if the difference between the Graphite and Emerald is worth the increased cost.

Chris(Norm), Minerals confusing? Try Ba(PO3)2, Al(PO3)3, AlF3, MgF2, CaF2, SrF2, BaF2 0.5-3% Mg, 8-10% Ca, 12-20% Sr, 9-12% Ba, 7-9% Al, 5-9% P, 8-12% O, and 35-38% F......glass. ;)

David

I think Chris's (Norm) suggestion is the better candidate. I'd missed that one.
I was trying to spend your money David, not Chris' o:D

I'm not so scared of the chemistry, think it's the p's which lose me : physics, physiology, psychology etc etc.
Did you see the items in the "How it's made" and "How do they do it?" programs on making binoculars. Now that's my level |:D| One was filmed in the Zeiss factory in Wetzlar and t'other making a Steiner Commander XP 7x50 Compass.
B :)

David, Sherwoods-Photo have an as new Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32 in their demo section for £105. Good deal for someone ;)

This is a very good binocular. I have had one of their earlier versions (Platinum Raven) for 8 years. In fact, it is on my window sill right now which overlooks my back yard!

Bob

I was trying to spend your money David, not Chris' o:D

I'm not so scared of the chemistry, think it's the p's which lose me : physics, physiology, psychology etc etc.
Did you see the items in the "How it's made" and "How do they do it?" programs on making binoculars. Now that's my level |:D| One was filmed in the Zeiss factory in Wetzlar and t'other making a Steiner Commander XP 7x50 Compass.
B :)

No spending plans at the moment, but kicking myself I passed on the Viking MD 6.5x32 at £99

'Bang goes the theory' does it for me, but I've been hooked on the genre since Jack Hargreaves's time. I've seen the Steiner one not seen Zeiss one.

I thought I had a smattering of the sciences and 'ologies 'till I checked the lists:
http://phrontistery.info/sciences.html
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/ologies.htm

Yes Bob, I recalled it was highly regarded by users other side of pond and found a post or two by you when did a check last night. Seems your older model was made in Japan while the newer model is from a factory in China; newer model may even have the edge optically but, of course, not as tried and tested as yours.

David, I notice those Viking and Eagle Optics models seem to have very similar specs down to the unusually low close focus :
http://www.vikingoptical.co.uk/info/?p=1070
Not sure about the nitty gritty though; would the Viking model have dielectric prism coatings I wonder.

I notice some sciences only get to appear on one of those lists; seems like a bum hand for rumpologists...

I see what you mean on the optical specs, but the Viking is longer, heavier and uglier. I tried a few 6 and 6.5s and thought the Viking the sharpest (though the Meopro was close). If the Eagle is in the same league it's a very tempting deal.

David

Seems there is also a Visionary Fieldtracker Graphite which is non-ED and rather cheaper. The Visionary Fieldtracker Graphite (allotrope of carbon) should not of course be confused with the Celestron Granite (igneous rock) which is indeed an ED model :-O

Thanks for the advice I probably need to take a little more time exploring my options and spending my money wisely hmm :)

Thanks for the input everybody

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back