• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aligning Custom Compact 6x25 (1 Viewer)

I just returned from the local Goodwill store, ran a search and landed on this thread. It's nice to know these bins are decent, for what they are, but I need to be careful with bumping it - throwing the alignment off.

Good pick-up. If they were in any kind of decent shape- I hope that you bought them. They are awesome IMO; and that is a steal of a deal.

What will Really make you realize how good those are ( esp. if you got a good sample)- is to sit down with one of those 40+ year old Bushnell 6x25 compacts and compare to new samples of a Swaro 8x20, a Leica 8x20 , Zeiss 8x20 and a Nikon 8x20. Spend some time looking through all of them- and you would be blown away at how good those Bushnell compacts are.

IMO- that 6x25 is the better one of the same era compared to the 7x26. Could also just be how nice a 6x view is and how big of a FOV that those 6's have ( I think it is 8 deg.- 420/1000)

Last edited:
Heads up for persons reviewing this thread. In post number 18, I incorrectly state that the Bushnell 6x25 "...lacks the double eccentric rings..." That statement is absolutely wrong. I must have had a drop in blood sugar to make that statement. The custom model does in fact have double eccentric rings to help collimate the binocular. A fall causing misalignment is probably due to a prism shift in its seat. Whether the eccentric rings can correct the shift is a matter of trial and error. I recently "broke" into a 6x25 custom and made adjustments to bring the binocular into alignment. It is a little tricky since several retention rings have to be moved in order to get to the lens ring to move it, but it can be done. Sorry for the confusion my incorrect statement may have caused.
John

Lilcrazy2:

Be patient with Cory. Working for me in the Navy, AND 7 years as a civilian, I can attest that so many who some believe are SO great aren’t qualified to tie his shoes—either in repair OR customer service! This includes many who work for manufactures—read, “IMPORTERS.” You may verify this with the many happy customers over on the Cloudy Nights bino forum. ...
Cheers, and Merry Christmas,

WJC

Amen to that.
I'm one of his happy customers, for whom he salvaged more than one glass, including some fairly obscure models.

Good pick-up. If they were in any kind of decent shape- I hope that you bought them. They are awesome IMO; and that is a steal of a deal.

What will Really make you realize how good those are ( esp. if you got a good sample)- is to sit down with one of those 40+ year old Bushnell 6x25 compacts and compare to new samples of a Swaro 8x20, a Leica 8x20 , Zeiss 8x20 and a Nikon 8x20. Spend some time looking through all of them- and you would be blown away at how good those Bushnell compacts are.

IMO- that 6x25 is the better one of the same era compared to the 7x26. Could also just be how nice a 6x view is and how big of a FOV that those 6's have ( I think it is 8 deg.- 420/1000)

Thanks for that. They seem to be in great condition. I don't have any of those alpha brands other than the old Zeiss in my sig. I spent $14 for the Zeiss. Perhaps that is comparable if not, only in price.

Stephen B. - I concur with your finding that the Custom 6x25 seems better than the 7x26. Perhaps the larger exit pupil helps with eye placement - perhaps the 6 power seems more usuable with its 8 degree wider field. The inherent advantage of the porro prism v. the roof prism may account for the pleasing view one sees with the six power. I have speculated that the quality old porros with modern coatings would compete favorably with all the alphas of today.

John

Well that was easy. I guess I bumped the bins so now they are no longer collimated. My eyes can adjust (not pleasant) for terrestrial views but not when looking at stars. I see two stars in one now.

A few months back, I picked up a very minty looking Bushnell 7x26 Custom Compact, metal version with the later style eyepieces. They looked great, but they were out of collimation, mostly vertically. I looked at a passing jet and saw two flying in formation! Anyway, I sent them to Cory Suddarth based on what I read in this post. Cory got them back into alignment and now I have a nice binocular. Not my only pair of these to be sure, but I just have a special place in my heart for the older metal Custom Compacts. Cory did a great job. Now, if I could only find a source of new rubber eye cups. Someone should start a business selling these for all brands.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back