• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Wagtail (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

The attached photos were taken by the River Esk near Longtown two days ago. Is it a "Channel Wagtail" ( Motacilla flava flava x flavissima), a female Blue-headed Wagtail, or something else?

Comments appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Yellow Wagtail 1.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail 1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Yellow Wagtail 2.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail 2.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Yellow Wagtail 3.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail 3.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason I posted this question here is that I originally submitted photo 1 to Birdguides as a Yellow Wagtail (flavissima), without giving the matter much thought - although it did seem to be comparable with some of the other flavissima photos in their database. Birdguides immediately re-assigned it to the Channel Wagtail (flava x flavissima) category, which was fine with me. However, it was then suggested by another member that it might be a female Blue-headed Wagtail (flava)...

However, VS's comment would appear to rule this out (also, I've since looked at quite a few pure flava photos and I didn't see any with a greenish/yellowish colouring to the crown of the head).

If there are no other comments I'll just leave things as they stand.

It was the obvious grey mixed into the mantle and back feathering that made me think possible Grey Wag influence rather than Blue-headed. Hopefully someone else will comment on that

Thanks for expanding on your comment J-P.

All I can add on this issue is that photo 1 was taken more or less directly side on, and so if there is a Grey Wag influence, it doesn't seem to have affected its tail length!

Thanks for expanding on your comment J-P.

All I can add on this issue is that photo 1 was taken more or less directly side on, and so if there is a Grey Wag influence, it doesn't seem to have affected its tail length!

True, I did look at tail length too and doesn't seem particularly long, nor does it seem to show any more obvious tertial tips than a Yellow Wag ssp. It could well just be a Channel, but I presume Grey Wag x Yellow Wag may be a possibility with the colouring in the mantle and back

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back