• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's daubings (1 Viewer)

Wonderful drawings - as Ed points out, the masses are described perfectly with the use of flat tone - this gives a real substance to the work whilst retaining a liveliness and that fleeting qualty of the animals. Superb!

excellent work - I can only echo what's been said about the inside shape creating the whole and resolve to hide my attempts at sketching deer that look like Blackpool donkies on a day trip to an abbatoir.

Great sketches! We have an elk heard nearby, and the bulls are 'bugling' - not sure how the sounds compare, but ours are definitely impressive to hear.

American elk and British red deer are more or less the same animal (Cervus elaphus) but there is a huge size difference. I guess the sound is the same.

Mike

American elk and British red deer are more or less the same animal (Cervus elaphus) but there is a huge size difference. I guess the sound is the same.

Mike

American elk make that weird (to an Englander's ears) high pitched bugling noise rather than a roar- I've read somewhere that bugle is the "ancestral" call from the asian ancestor of the red deer spp. and the roar is a more recent adaptation to forested habitat, but dunno if that's the case.

American elk make that weird (to an Englander's ears) high pitched bugling noise rather than a roar- I've read somewhere that bugle is the "ancestral" call from the asian ancestor of the red deer spp. and the roar is a more recent adaptation to forested habitat, but dunno if that's the case.

It seems that Sika Deer have the best bugling of all.

Here in the UK the confusion is already evident, and inter-breeding with Reds is well documented.

It seems they may all share roots.

Sikas in Dorset are quite amazing animals. Arne is a great place to get close encounters. ;)

Impressive Mike. I'm always amazed that anyone even knows where to start when faced with the complexity of a woodland scene such as this. When I'm an area like this I think how beautiful it is, and sometimes even take photos. But I always give up at the thought of getting it down on paper or canvas.

!!! - astounding piece.
Really wish you'd stop beggering about on Birdforum and get some more of this kind of thing done ;)

Three of us then!

Nice work, it's such a pleasure painting in the open, you've inspired me so thank you! Me and my acrylics will be going for a little stroll very soon.

Mike

more than just a walk - this is a full expedition in a few metres of scenery - so beautifully balanced too - excellent work, I hope you'll get time to do more like this soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back