• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (3 Viewers)

New to this site and just checking out the birding scene around Galway as I am a regular visitor to the county.
Lukasz's sightings lists around Galway are very helpful for getting to grips with sea and shorebirds of the area, especially for someone not familiar with coastal species !
I was looking at the area in Lukasz's postings "Gentian Hill cliffs".Can anyone advise if there is public access there or is permission required ? I have been around the Rusheen Bay site so I know the general area.
Also, is there a Galway Birding newsletter these days ? I would like to keep in touch with what's happening on the birding scene there as a regular visitor !
Thanks!

New to this site and just checking out the birding scene around Galway as I am a regular visitor to the county.
Lukasz's sightings lists around Galway are very helpful for getting to grips with sea and shorebirds of the area, especially for someone not familiar with coastal species !
I was looking at the area in Lukasz's postings "Gentian Hill cliffs".Can anyone advise if there is public access there or is permission required ? I have been around the Rusheen Bay site so I know the general area.
Also, is there a Galway Birding newsletter these days ? I would like to keep in touch with what's happening on the birding scene there as a regular visitor !
Thanks!

This thread has gone a bit quiet but I might be able to help.

I haven't been to Gentian Hill for over three years but used to go there regularly. As far as I remember it's technically forbidden to walk up on the cliff top and there are signs warning people off but those notices are generally ignored and you'll almost certainly see somebody walking up there on any visit. That's unless something has changed since I was last there. Presume you know but Gentian Hill is next to Silver Strand.

Try the Birdwatch Galway site for sightings too. The address is in my signature.

Someone who could point you in the right direction for the BWI Galway branch newsletter will probably be along soon.

ATB
Tom

Galway birding

Hi Woodville
As far as I know Neil Sharkey Is in charge of sending out the Galway branch newsletters. You can probably reach him here [email protected] and get in touch with him about the newsletter.
The last one was sent out in August and you should be able to download it at this link http://www.birdwatchgalway.org/

Hi Forktailedswift, many thanks for your posting , will follow up on Galway Birdwatch branch activities !

Nimmo's Pier 10.30am on Saturday 7th September

It's that time of year again when winter beckons and hails the start of Bird Watch Galways visit to Nimmo's Pier on the first Saturday of the month.
At 10.30am on Saturday 7th September, for a nice walk along the pier and Claddagh Beach. Just not about birds but also a social event to catch up with those other birders you have not seen since the last outing or meeting.

Attachments

• 1030096 29 08 13.jpg
    1030096 29 08 13.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 48
2 Pectoral Sandpipers at Muckrush yesterday evening. 2 Dunlin, one Lapwing, one Black-tailed Godwit and a few Snipe and Curlew the only other waders there! A few dry days and there would be plenty of mud at Muckrush and hopefully turn the place into a wader magnet.

Has anyone been monitoring the clearance / maintenance works on the Sandy river (Terryland River) over the past week or so? These works are required to some extent to alleviate flood risk. Nonetheless, I was shocked to see the level of clearance (especially along the riparian zone). The reedbeds and the fringing willows were undoubtedly of importance for ground nesting birds and migrants such as sedge warbler. The presence of Japanese knotweed in this area is also a worry as those areas of opened ground will facilitate the further spread of this species.

Does anyone know if any baseline ecological surveys were completed prior to these works taking place?

Hello everybody,

I'm a swiss birdwatcher who's coming in Galway for a few days and i'm really interrested to know if the Forster's Tern is still possible to see and where?

Thanks for answer!

Happy new year ;)

Samuel Progin

Hi Samuel

The last report of the Forster's that I have is from the 4th December. It can move to other parts of the bay sometimes but has only been seen in the Nimmo's Pier area so far this winter. Nimmo's probably isn't get a huge amount of coverage at the moment as far as I'm aware?
If I hear any news about it I will put it up on GalwayBirdNews Twitter feed (see the link below).

Hello everybody,

I'm a swiss birdwatcher who's coming in Galway for a few days and i'm really interrested to know if the Forster's Tern is still possible to see and where?

Thanks for answer!

Happy new year ;)

Samuel Progin

Hi Dermot,

Thanks for answer! I was at Nimmo's this evening, no Forster's but 1 Glaucous Gull ad. and 1 Kittiwake in the small Marina. Offshore were 4 Great Northern Diver and also 19 Brent Goose "hrota" on the fields.

Next try tomorrow...

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

It's probably worth mentioning (if you don't already know) that the Forster's Tern is best looked for on a low tide on the strand (area of mud/sand/seaweed) just outside of Nimmo's Pier to the west of the river mouth. Lots of Black-headed Gulls & Bar-tailed Godwits in this area as well as some wintering Sandwich Terns.

Low tide is at 12:09pm today.

Best of luck,
Niall

2013 in Galway

By my calculations we ended up with 206 species for the county in 2013, a below average year. I've attached the full list here.
Some obvious omissions were

Red-necked Grebe
Garganey
Velvet Scoter
Smew
Long-tailed Skua
American Herring Gull (long staying adult last seen back in Feb 2011)
Roseate Tern
Black Tern
Short-eared Owl
Tree Sparrow
Brambling
Twite (missing for the first time in recent years)
Lapland Bunting

Attachments

• Galway 2013.docx
    15.1 KB · Views: 51
Adult Ross's Gull at Blackrock this evening. Last seen at dusk opposite Leisureland. 1st W Little Gull also present.

Any news of the Ross's?
Yesterday at Nimmo's: 1 Glaucous Gull (ad.), 3 Ring-billed Gull (2 ad. and one 1st W), at least 14 Great Northern Diver on the bay betweeb Nimmo's and Mutton Island.

Ross's has not been seen so far today I believe Samuel but not for lack of effort at least 5 birders were looking for it today. When I left 3 little gulls had been seen opposite the Salthill hotel.

No sign of the Ross's despite the best efforts of a few brave souls. Would be very surprised if it's not still lurking in some corner of Galway Bay. Much windier today compared to yesterday and birds went to roost a good 20 minutes earlier today. Three 1stW Little Gull, adult Iceland, adult Glaucous, adult Med. gull and an adult Ring-bill the best between Nimmo's and Blackrock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back