• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

just better and better - but tell me, where the hell do you find the patience to do work like this, I'd have torn it into little bits and glued it back together by now!

Ha, cheers Nick....I dunno really, I have the finished painting in my mind's eye and just keep striving to get it resembling that image - never does though - and f me, sometimes I really could just rip the damn thing off the board and stamp on it!! I guess our approaches are from literally the opposite ends of the spectrum - I could ask you how can you not put all the finicky details I love doing into your work?!? I just can't do fast 'n' loose, damned illustration work has sucked the ability from me! ;)

Amazing how this last day's work has brought everything together - fantastic piece. Just one thing - weren't submission days Saturday & Sunday??? I hope I'm wrong if you're taking this up there tomorrow. . . .

Last edited:
Amazing how this last day's work has brought everything together - fantastic piece. Just one thing - weren't submission days Saturday & Sunday??? I hope I'm wrong if you're taking this up there tomorrow. . . .
Sorry mate - just been to check. The days are Sunday and MONDAY - phew! Get it framed and up there toot sweet.

I remember this from last year's work in progress- there's a final phase to your painting where it gets given an extra snap in the tones..

looks very smart

Indeed Tim! ;)
Well, got it finished and in on time....Checked out the BP Portrait Artist of the Year exhibition too and, as always, some fab work in there. Finally got to sleep 9pm Monday night and woke up 3pm the following day - let's hope it was bloody worth it! So, fannied around with it, touching up bits here and there and at almost the last moment added another starling in the bottom left as the others seemed too centralised...even though it meant having equal numbers of starlings and hornbills, but hey, i think it balances it quite nicely.

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! (Large).jpg

And some detail shots...I think the last one makes a nice painting on its own actually....;)

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! detail (1)a (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! detail (2)a (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! detail (5)a (Large).jpg

You did an amazing job Adam!
It's not just the composition , movement and careful rendering of
feathers and shape but also the unsual subject!
I've never seen a composition depicting these birds before!
Respect!!!

Paschalis

You did an amazing job Adam!
It's not just the composition , movement and careful rendering of
feathers and shape but also the unsual subject!
I've never seen a composition depicting these birds before!
Respect!!!

Paschalis

Yes. This turned out very well. That added touch of blue in the front really sets it off colorwise. And an incredibly unusual subject as well.

As the comments between you and Nick, either here or on Nick's thread, mention they are two very different ways of working. I can't imagine working as you do. But I sure can appreciate the end results.

Superb stuff birdyboy...:t:

That final portrait close-up of single Hornbill stands as a complete pic in itself...!

ps..i was observing light and smoke yesterday, amongst other things, and this composition of yours came to mind...

So have this image as a present...;)

Attachments

• 025 - Copy.JPG
    025 - Copy.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 65
User - fantastically atmospheric piccy...could be anything behind that smoke...could be hiding a small smouldering fire or just as easily be the mist in a valley concealing a whole mountainside!
Ken - cheers for that...I'm just a traditionalist at heart ;)
Paschalis - praise indeed coming from you :)

Superb result - complex, engaging and entertaining image with a fascinating narrative - what more could one wish for!
Ok - put us out of our misery - did it get in?? - SWLA website has all accepted work listed there now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back