• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New ID tool? (1 Viewer)

Excellent idea. For starters if you're not confident in judging primary projection by eye this could be very useful. You'd just need to put the leg work in on proofing with images of known species. I occasionally do use the same principle with a ruler, but this is much more accurate. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent idea. For starters if you're not confident in judging primary projection by eye this could be very useful. You'd just need to put the leg work in on proofing with images of known species. I occasionally do use the same principle with a ruler, but this is much more accurate. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent idea, especially when guides such as Nils talk about pp being 50% of the tertials or 150% etc

Good idea, but how would it cope with a bird with particularly large or small eyes?

This is a problem and one I found when i started looking at more photos but the average between Glauc and Iceland is still different it obviously varies between individual birds and so poses problems with small/large eyed small/large billed birds!

This is a problem and one I found when i started looking at more photos but the average between Glauc and Iceland is still different it obviously varies between individual birds and so poses problems with small/large eyed small/large billed birds!

Is it possible to measure from the centre of the eye, this position being less subject to proportional variation due to constant skull proportions?

That's my background in engineering coming out!
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back