• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blasts from the Pasts - more sketches (1 Viewer)

Julian H

At the request of several people, here's a couple more pen and inks reproduced from the recent Rare Birds Where and When book - Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a young male Desert Wheatear (Blackpool Airport, Lancs, early 90s?).

The Oriental Pratincole at Gimmingham, Norfolk was a major unblocker at the time...twitched from the Birdwatching offices (where i was working at that time) on the afternoon of it's discovery. I hitched over to Norfolk the following week to see it again for good measure, and also saw the Desert Warbler at Blakeney. The crowning moment to that weekend was getting up for breakfast at Richard Walker's house in Swaffham. Before the first drops of coffee touched my lips, the phone call.."Pacific Swift at Cley...NOW!" sent panic waves across the fens. 20 minutes later, hardly believing my eyes i was watching this mega hawking insects over the reserve. Good memories!

Enjoy,

Julian

Attachments

• DEWH.jpg
    DEWH.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 46
  • ybcu.jpg
    ybcu.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 51
  • ORPR.jpg
    ORPR.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 77
I share those memories with you Julian...[i'm sure we've met several times in our twitchy pasts]...regards from the Leicester low listers..[L3]....:t:

ps...great sketches by the way....more please....!

Thank you. I am sure we have....I know the Frays (makes them sound like a couple of London 'bovver boys) and the likes from the Scilly days.

Time flies...especially when you realise how long ago some of those birds were...getting all nostalgic flicking through the books!

Now I feel like my Dad recanting how he never had a new pair of shoes and how lucky I am, blah, blah...

:)

drawings are meticulous like and engraving...and the book wows me too, esp since I can read the writing, something that escapes me in my own book

hope to see more of your work

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back