• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with Norton Internet Security (1 Viewer)

AnnieW

I recently reloaded Norton after having to do a complete system rebuild. As a result I have sonehow managed to add Birdforum cookies to the list of `always' block which now means I am constantly having to re-login whenever I move around the site.

How do I find the list of blocked cookies and remove the inoffending Birdforum one ... I've done this previously but am blowed if I can remember how - and for some reason keep being disconnected from the Symantec web site when I try and look there for help !!

Yours in anticipation -

Annie

Annie fire up bird forum then look in the top right hand corner of the page you should see Web Assistant and a globe with a drop down arrow click on the globe you may have a tick next to Block cookies on this site if so untick it this should then allow your cookies on bird forum

Andrew Rowlands said:
Andy - thanks I can get to these pages clicking directly on your link. I knew the problem was something to do with Privacy Control (as when I disabled it I was OK) .... however, I still have a problem. The advice you pointed to indicates that if you are using NIS2003 (as I am) there should be an <advanced> option under the <configure> choice - however, I don't get any <advanced> option - all I can do is set the Privacy Control level.

I've tried reinstalling Norton in case something had gone wrong with the installation - but no joy !! The plot thickens - and it's drifing me potty as I KNOW i've done this before !!

Thanks anyway -

Annie

simon said:
Annie fire up bird forum then look in the top right hand corner of the page you should see Web Assistant and a globe with a drop down arrow click on the globe you may have a tick next to Block cookies on this site if so untick it this should then allow your cookies on bird forum
Simon - sorry I don't follow this. I don't see any Web Assistant on Birdforum - am I being dense ??

Annie

AnnieW said:
The advice you pointed to indicates that if you are using NIS2003 (as I am) there should be an <advanced> option under the <configure> choice - however, I don't get any <advanced> option - all I can do is set the Privacy Control level.

You may have to find the option via the main NIS control panel - double-click on the icon near the clock then look through the options available.

Andy.

AnnieW said:
Simon - sorry I don't follow this. I don't see any Web Assistant on Birdforum - am I being dense ??

Annie
Assuming you are using Internet Explorer right click on the toolbar at the top and you will get a list of available toobars. There should be one called "Web Assistant".

If this has not got a tick next to it select it and the small toolbar should appear. From this you can configure whether to accept cookies etc from a site.

Hope this helps.

AnnieW said:

Annie

Annie you cna get the web assistant toolbar by doing as robin states in his thread or by going to View, Toolbars and ticking web assistant

Andrew Rowlands said:
You may have to find the option via the main NIS control panel - double-click on the icon near the clock then look through the options available.

Andy.
Andy - thanks for trying to help !! I've now managed to find the list of prohibited sites through the NIS Web Content Security Options - Birdforum wasn't listed as a prohibited site (cookie wise) but I specifically included it as a permitted site - but still not working !!

I know it's a Norton problem, not an IE problem, as it's fine if I temporarily disable NIS ....

Anyone else any bright ideas ??

Yours hopefully

Annie

robinm said:
Assuming you are using Internet Explorer right click on the toolbar at the top and you will get a list of available toobars. There should be one called "Web Assistant".

If this has not got a tick next to it select it and the small toolbar should appear. From this you can configure whether to accept cookies etc from a site.

Hope this helps.
Robin (& Simon) - I don't think the problem is with my IE internet settings, as that is configured to always accept cookies - I have always relied on using Norton if I wanted to override this as a default. And - as noted above, I don't have the problem if I disable NIS .... thanks anyway for your suggestion - I'm open to anything (within limits !!) at the mo !!

Annie

Delete your Internet Explorer cache, Annie.

Right click the IE icon on your desktop, choose Properties and then click the Delete Files button (you could try deleting your cookies from there, too) it often cures ailments in browsers.

Andy.

Hi Annie,

In case you still can't 'get in' without turning off your protection; go to www.my-etrust.com/microsoft download the free security package, check your mail and follow the instructions to get your installation number then go offline. Uninstall the Norton package, reboot then install the new one. Reboot again and you should be ready to go; more new stuff to learn but you should be just as safe.

Good luck,

Andy.

AnnieW said:
Robin (& Simon) - I don't think the problem is with my IE internet settings, as that is configured to always accept cookies - I have always relied on using Norton if I wanted to override this as a default. And - as noted above, I don't have the problem if I disable NIS .... thanks anyway for your suggestion - I'm open to anything (within limits !!) at the mo !!

Annie
The Web Assistant toolbar is used to configure NIS not your browser. Have you tried to see if you can open the toolbar. Choose View, Toolbars from the Menu - the Web assistant toolbar should be there.

robinm said:
The Web Assistant toolbar is used to configure NIS not your browser. Have you tried to see if you can open the toolbar. Choose View, Toolbars from the Menu - the Web assistant toolbar should be there.
Robin - OK, I hadn't realised that it had an impact on NIS; however, I don't appear to have a Web Assistant tool bar. I'm running IE 6.0 - is the web assistant part of the standard installation, as I don't remember having it before I rebuilt the system ? I'll carry on playing and see what I can come up with !!

Annie

Andrew Rowlands said:
Delete your Internet Explorer cache, Annie.

Right click the IE icon on your desktop, choose Properties and then click the Delete Files button (you could try deleting your cookies from there, too) it often cures ailments in browsers.

Andy.
One step ahead Andy - I tried that earlier to no avail !!

I might just try your other option of a new package - it's the first time I've had any problems with Norton after running various versions for years - but I guess there's a first time for everything !! Thanks again for the help ....

Annie

AnnieW said:
Robin - OK, I hadn't realised that it had an impact on NIS; however, I don't appear to have a Web Assistant tool bar. I'm running IE 6.0 - is the web assistant part of the standard installation, as I don't remember having it before I rebuilt the system ? I'll carry on playing and see what I can come up with !!

Annie
The Web Assistant toolbar is installed by NIS during its installation. I can't offhand remember whether you had to specifically choose it. It certainly makes a huge difference as it allows you to configure NIS for cookies, pop-ups etc all from within the browser. Almost worth reinstalling NIS for.

robinm said:
The Web Assistant toolbar is installed by NIS during its installation. I can't offhand remember whether you had to specifically choose it. It certainly makes a huge difference as it allows you to configure NIS for cookies, pop-ups etc all from within the browser. Almost worth reinstalling NIS for.
Robin - Thanks for that.I'll try installing NIS again (but not tonight !!). I'll let you know what happens ....

Annie

I'm running IE 6 and I've just installed NIS2005. On this web page I have a little icon in the tool bar called Norton IS which gives options like 'block pop-ups on this site' 'block cookies on this site' etc. Doubt if that helps but thought I'd mention it!
One thing I've read is that you should make sure that you have disabled all antivirus and firewall software (including the Windows XP firewall if you've got it) and disconnected from the internet before you install NIS or it may not load properly.
Good luck
Ken

Good luck with this Annie but if all this fails then bin Norton!

Norton is notorious for causing conflicts with certain Windows machines. I had similar problems myself and could only rectify the problem by uninstalling Norton. Anything that Norton supplies you can get for free anyway without any of the hassle. IE now comes with it's own pop-up blocker as does several other alternative browsers. Switch on the Windows firewall. It's perfectly adequate for most people. Finally, go to http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ and download the free anti-virus program. Remember to update it at least weekly.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back