• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Jersey - First visit, May 2016 (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Well, not too long to wait now. First ever visit due in the coming Spring. Cannot wait! Coming over with Limosa and heading to Cape May.

Rob

FYI sandy hook is often better than cape may in spring. Brigantine used to be one of the easiest spots to see bittern (next to gull tower)

Many thanks for the best wishes. All my documentation arrived on Thursday and I have bought my ESTA. Really looking forward to it now. Mossie spray, as road-tested in Gambia last November, will be in the bag. Great couple of books on the area as xmas presents, so some good reading too.

Rob... just some info about Brig(Forsythe) for you.

They are doing work to the Wildlife drive there until late Fall. The wildlife drive is closed on weekdays and a portion(only to the Tower on the South dike) is open on the weekends. The roadway down to the Gull Pond Tower is open as usual. Just wanted to make sure you knew so you can adjust plans accordingly.

http://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147587823

While not an exact replacement for, but an alternative to Brig, is Heislerville WMA(many of the same species... but Brig is larger and you'd see more at Brig when drive isn't limited). Heislerville is also a bit closer to Cape May too. Heislerville is also near Bellplaine and Jakes Landing Rd. Good luck, you will not be disappointed with Cape May any time of the year actually. I'm about 2 hrs. north of Cape May and usually make at east 2 trips down for each season. Hopefully some nice vagrants and surprises show up while your down there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back