• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Pancake lenses and vignetting (1 Viewer)

I would like to hear from anyone with experience of using a Canon EOS camera with a "pancake" lens (either Canon EF-S 24 mm f/2.8 STM, or the 40mm equivalent) for digiscoping.
My main query is: Which of those lenses would give the least vignetting overall, if used to digiscope/videoscope through a Swarowski AT(S) 80 scope with a 30mm WA eyepiece.

Thanks in advance, Alan.

I have just noticed this post so am probably too late to be of any help.

For digiscoping/videoscoping I use a Swarovski ATS80HD scope with the 20-60x eyepiece and DCA. I have a Canon 80D with EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens which does not cause any vignetting throughout the full zoom range. The EF-S 24mm lens will probably cause some vignetting due to its much wider angle. Another lens to consider is the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM which will give you a slightly larger image.

For practical reasons when digiscoping I would recommend you not to use AF but manually focus instead. This is because the lens barrel extends/retracts during focusing which will cause strain on the mechanism. My technique is to set the lens to infinity then use the scope to focus on the subject. To achieve accurate focus use the magnifying function whilst in Live View. Another tip, you can obtain a faster shutter speed in Live View compared to using the viewfinder.

Hope this may be of some help.

Mike.

Thanks for all your advice, Mike - it's never too late!

I have tried both AF and manual focussing in the past, and could never work out which was better. However, I never tried your technique. It sounds better than anything I've yet tried, so I'm looking forward to my next session already.

Best wishes, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back