• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wow- yet another first (and a lifelifer for me!) (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

Wow- yet another garden first (and a lifer for me!)

This very second, was out the front with my dog and looked across to my back feeders and there was a Turtle Dove. I am so very excited! Sorry for that I suppose they aren't that rare, but never, ever seen one in my entire life before. Not sure they are usually around this part of Wales anyway? Just to make sure I ran indoors and had a great look through the bins at him. :bounce:

I love spotting a new bird, but then most birds are new to me! ;) There is something magnificent about looking at a new bird through bins, the colors, the feather configuration and the new behaviors. They are all so different. I hope I don't lose the sense of wonder as I continue to bird.

Great stuff. I don't know about Wales but they are not that easy to find and to have one in the garden is great :t:

Last Turtle Dove I saw was in Blean Woods in Kent in July 1992!
Was a really hot day and I was able to stand right below him and he just kept purring away.....great birds! They occasionally occur up here in Northumberland so I'd love to see one and get it on my Northumberland List!

GILL

He came back! For two glorious minutes and 20 seconds, I managed to grab my video camera and get him on film through the kitchen window. It was 6.15 tonight and I was doing the pets teas. He was feeding on the ground along with a male house sparrow and chaffinch, and there were two collared doves up on the table. I am still thrilled to bits :bounce:
I wish I was able to put the clip here, but I haven't the equipment or technology, so here's three screen captures instead. ;)

BTW I looked in my old field guide book, which is about 8 years old, and according to them they don't or didn't get to this part of Wales, so maybe its still very unusual. Hope he sticks around.

Attachments

• turtle dove 1.jpg
    turtle dove 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 112
  • turtle dove 2.jpg
    turtle dove 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 135
  • turtle dove 3.jpg
    turtle dove 3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 113
WOW...he's gorgeous!!!

They really ARE a lovely bird.....hope he sticks around for you. And don't forget to send your record in to your local bird recorder....you could get your name in print LOL

GILL

they're great birds, although not common they turn up here every year in small numbers, think they dont spread that far north.

one of those migrants I look forward to hearing every year, now is best time to see them when the trees aren't fully in leaf, they do a great job of hiding in bushes and purring for the rest of the year :)

Gill Osborne said:
WOW...he's gorgeous!!!

They really ARE a lovely bird.....hope he sticks around for you. And don't forget to send your record in to your local bird recorder....you could get your name in print LOL

GILL

Oh that would be cool, how do I do that? I do the BTO garden birdwatch, but don't know about contacting anyone else.

Every bird was a 'first' for all of us at one time. I don't know about Wales, but Stonelees (a reserve near Pegwell/Sandwich Bays in Kent) has a healthy population.

songbird said:
Oh that would be cool, how do I do that? I do the BTO garden birdwatch, but don't know about contacting anyone else.
You should find details of your county recorder here:

http://www.bto.org/birdtrack/bird_recording/county_bird_recorder.htm

An excellent garden tick BTW, I've yet to find one closer to me than Rye Meads RSPB (though I have been given some good information this year which will hopefully see me adding one this year a little closer to home ;) )

Thanks Simon. I think when I lived in your part of the world I must've gone round with my blinkers on, there were probably TDs around (used to go to Rye House every week for the speedway! ) ;)

was watching 2 this afternoon when I got back to work, had a lovely view as they flew right past me and settled in a Pine, seems the morning is best time to find them, dont hear them calling so much later in the day for some reason.

Mine's back right now, he's with six collared doves, sadly seems that there is only the one, and I am slightly worried as he isn't as nervy as them, the slightest movement from me in the kitchen window and they are off, but not so Mr TD, don't want the sparrowhawk around right now. :(

That's a notifyable species in Wales, Jan - are you prepared for the onslaught of County birders and Welsh year-listers?

Clean cups, biscuits, collecting bucket ...

Get the kettle on ;)

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
That's a notifyable species in Wales, Jan - are you prepared for the onslaught of County birders and Welsh year-listers?

Clean cups, biscuits, collecting bucket ...

Get the kettle on ;)

Andy.

OMG! I hope you are joking. ;) I couldn't cope with many visitors!
I went to BTO Birdtrack to enter my record on there and guess which bird is shown on the home page ....but of course that isn't for Wales alone.

I've just got back from a weekend break in Norfolk, and the one notable omission from the birds I expected to see was...Turtle Dove (despite going to the recommended sites).
Come to think of it I did'nt see any when I went there 2 years ago.
Such a shame, as they are very scarce here in Lancs. I'm thinking I'll have to make a special effort to see one soon as they seem to be going, going, gone, and it is a long time since I've seen one now.

Fantastic Bird even out of the garden....real do!

Keep those pictures comin'.

I had one visit the garden late April in 2003 with several Collared Doves...raised a few suspicious eyebrows when I went to meeting at the bird club.

Hope he turns up more and more!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back