• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (31 Viewers)

Hello everyone!

First a message for the work party lads -

row row row your boat,
don't let it list, you'll scream.
When the John's both dive in
you'll think you're in a dream.

Pretty poor I know but I have started a rest period for three days before getting back in the saddle.

Best birds that I have seen so far include : Little bunting, Pacific diver, american wigeon, ferruginous duck, penduline tits, 3 red-necked grebes, water pipit, cirl bunting, 2 ring-billed gull, lesser yellowlegs, night heron, cattle egret, rc pochard. My 100th bird was the great grey shrike at Chilham, Kent. (15/1)

Currently I am on 148 for the year.This time, February 17th, back in 2010 i had just reached Salisbury and was on 139 for the year. So being at Penzance I am a long way ahead of that in both distance and number.

As you may know I am cycling to every RSPB and WWT nature reserve this year, as I did in 2010. Please have a look at my facebook page for photos - Biking Birder 2015 or the blog for more detailed tales at bikingbirderridesagain2015.blogspot.com

I am having an incredible time and what luck! I have only missed one or two birds so far. The bonaparte's gull didn't show at Dawlish warren despite searching for over a day and the richard's pipit at Osmington Mills disappeared a couple of days before my arrival.

Thanks to everyone who has sent good wishes messages. ATB

Hello everyone!

First a message for the work party lads -

row row row your boat,
don't let it list, you'll scream.
When the John's both dive in
you'll think you're in a dream.

Pretty poor I know but I have started a rest period for three days before getting back in the saddle.

Best birds that I have seen so far include : Little bunting, Pacific diver, american wigeon, ferruginous duck, penduline tits, 3 red-necked grebes, water pipit, cirl bunting, 2 ring-billed gull, lesser yellowlegs, night heron, cattle egret, rc pochard. My 100th bird was the great grey shrike at Chilham, Kent. (15/1)

Currently I am on 148 for the year.This time, February 17th, back in 2010 i had just reached Salisbury and was on 139 for the year. So being at Penzance I am a long way ahead of that in both distance and number.

As you may know I am cycling to every RSPB and WWT nature reserve this year, as I did in 2010. Please have a look at my facebook page for photos - Biking Birder 2015 or the blog for more detailed tales at bikingbirderridesagain2015.blogspot.com

I am having an incredible time and what luck! I have only missed one or two birds so far. The bonaparte's gull didn't show at Dawlish warren despite searching for over a day and the richard's pipit at Osmington Mills disappeared a couple of days before my arrival.

Thanks to everyone who has sent good wishes messages. ATB

Spotted Sandpiper in Falmouth and a King Eider just to the south on your agenda tomorrow Gary?

I have managed to wipe my contacts list in changing phones. If anyone wants me to have their mobile number please PM or text me (my number hasn't changed ). Ta

This from Helen Woodman:

FYI...

"You may not have heard that a gentleman was found collapsed on the track up to the Bittern hide this morning. He was taken to hospital. However his car has remained in the car park, his wife is unable to drive and his son is in Spain. The police have the keys and will arrange for it to be moved but are unsure as to when this will be."

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Little Egret (3)-----------------------Shelduck (10)
Curlew (10)--------------------------Lapwing (c180)
Snipe (30)----------------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Teal (c60)----------------------------B H Gull (c300)
Mute Swan (2)-----------------------Linnet (20)

MOORS:
Shoveler (33)------------------------Gadwall (8)
Tufted Duck (35)---------------------Teal (12)
Snipe (6)-----------------------------Cormorant (25)
Little Grebe (3)----------------------G C Grebe (2)
Mute Swan (2)-----------------------Oystercatcher (1)
Pochard (f) reported-----------------Skylark
Cetti's Warbler (2)

SAILING POOL/ED RES:
Little Grebe (3)----------------------G C Grebe (1)
Greylag Goose (24)-----------------Sparrowhawk (2 displaying)

RIVER SALWARPE:
Mistle Thrush (4)

Des.

This from Helen Woodman:

FYI...

"You may not have heard that a gentleman was found collapsed on the track up to the Bittern hide this morning. He was taken to hospital. However his car has remained in the car park, his wife is unable to drive and his son is in Spain. The police have the keys and will arrange for it to be moved but are unsure as to when this will be."

Vern has checked out the car park tonight , to make sure the geazers car is ok and asked the locals to keep an eye on it - nice one kid.
B :)

One Saturday morning in April 2010, having just returned home from Upton Warren, I'd just sat down with a coffee when I heard a "thwack" on the conservatory window. Fearing that another bird had died on impact with the glass it was with some trepidation that I ventured outside to find out what species had gone to meet its maker. Only to find a pair of Goldcrests, stunned but definitely alive on the ground under the window. Remembering a trick that Fergus Henderson, my ringing trainer, told me I simply cupped them in both hands for about 15 minutes until I felt movement. I uncovered them slowly because of the strong sunlight and after about 30 seconds they seemed to look at one another and flew away, apparently none the worse for their ordeal. I can only assume that they were in the throws of some courtship flying display when they crashed into the glass.
Vern, I include this as I think it shows it's pretty difficult to tell the sexes apart. This said, your bird is agitated and the crest appears orange(ish), so if I had to go one way or the other I'd stab at male.

Attachments

• Goldcrest.jpg
    Goldcrest.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back