• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Waxwings Mere Sands Wood (1 Viewer)

Anybody know anything about the Waxwing(s) reported at Mere Sands Wood today?

Ok, in the absence of any replies, I'll answer my own question. Seven Waxwings still at Mere Sands Wood today, feeding in an apple tree next to the information centre, and at times coming as close as 2 or 3 metres. Fantastic birds!

Does nobody go birding in Lancashire these days???

Ok, in the absence of any replies, I'll answer my own question. Seven Waxwings still at Mere Sands Wood today, feeding in an apple tree next to the information centre, and at times coming as close as 2 or 3 metres. Fantastic birds!

Thanks for the heads up Colin. I usually combine birding with biking (the later giving rise to the former originally!) So, I haven't been out for weeks because of the Siberian conditions. The thaw's done its stuff so I might head to Mere Sands. Bit of a trekk but doable. Cheers

Damn! we went to Martin Mere today and would have found time to go and see the waxies if we'd known they were there. The only info we had was that they had been seen at mere Sands yesterday, didn't know if they were just flyovers or not!

Hi Colin
All I had seen was what was posted on Martin Mere's webpage yesterday so thought I'd give it a go and basicially saw what you did. great views. all that was missing was an armchair and cup of tea it was that easy.
I must agree that there isnt much info flying around about sightings in and around Merseyside

Usually post on the Mere Sands Thread but was out for a meal tonight so didn,t get on till now, but they should hang around tomorrow but no promises, plenty of apples and berries around

Frank
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

A word to the wise, if you're of a mind to bird local you can always ring up Mere Sands visitor centre and ask about current sightings. You can find the number in the Opus article or on the LWT website.

I'm gonna try for them today.

A word to the wise, if you're of a mind to bird local you can always ring up Mere Sands visitor centre and ask about current sightings. You can find the number in the Opus article or on the LWT website.

Well, you can if you're able to phone during the day on a day when they're open. At 22:35 on New Years Day the options are a bit more limited.....;)

Was a for future refernce kinda thing and for John's benefit.

Thanks for that Jaff, I had a bad experience phoning for information once though it wasn't Mere Sands but Martin Mere, I phoned and asked if the Red Necked Phalarope was still there before making the journey " yes it's definately still here" I was reliably told, of course when I got there it wasn't! In fact it hadn't been seen since the previous day! Can't go for them today but hope they stick around for a few days, probably be a bit quieter tomorrow after the hollidays.

Mere Sands are different, they'll let you know just as they did to me today that the Waxwings hadn't been seen when I rang up around lunchtime. Don't know what the latest is but it's likely they could have moved on.
If it comes to Martin Mere John ring the InFocus shop instead, ringing Martin Mere will just put you through to the front reception desk I think and most wouldn't know what a Red-necked Pharalope even is! InFocus are the ones that update the sightings on the website and will be able to give you a good shakedown of what's doing on the reserve but they don't always answer the phone if they're busy so you may have to try a few times.

No sign of Waxwings today or since about 2 30 pm yesterday but as this was the third time they have been reported over the last three weeks in the same place they may well return, they had quite a few people ringing up and asking so maybe they can get someone to put any sightings on bird sightings website in future if such a thing exists;)

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

Check Martin Mere Sightings page, link on other page

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back