• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

jimmy2faces said:
Yes that's me.

If you head down paddock house lane you come to a barn (where they burn the willow), and a building called Prog Hall (this is where I work). One of my colleagues had been working late the night before and told me about a noise they'd been hearing late at night - knowing I'm a naturalist. He said it was really annoying. Anyway as he was telling me it started up again, and I immediately knew what it was. It was calling from the horse paddock which is next to the public footpath that heads roughly west from paddock house lane. I heard it intermittently until around lunchtime at which point the local farmer (Gareth) moved his horses into this field. The next morning my colleagues told me they had heard the noise again, but from the east, and I thought I could here it too in the distance. It was much further away though, and at the time couldn't go looking.

Most of birds reported in that area are made by me. For example I've also had whimbrel in the area too. Fustratingly there are wondering winter geese in the area, but I haven't pinned them down as yet. There's loads of other good stuff - bullfinch, y'hammer, little owl, lesser whitethroat, quail, and of course all the red kites.

When I went up to look for the Corncrake, I saw a couple of Cuckoo. Yellowhammers doing well in Kirk Deighton/Wetherby area - audiable from house and often visit bird table in late winter. red Kite and Buzzard recently added to garden list.
I think at times I underestimate what might be present in my local area. I'm sure Eccup reservoir must turn up more than is reported. The trouble is it is so hard to work. Does anyone know the best way of working it -key vantage points other than the south side where all the dod walkers file past?

Lawts said:
When I went up to look for the Corncrake, I saw a couple of Cuckoo. Yellowhammers doing well in Kirk Deighton/Wetherby area - audiable from house and often visit bird table in late winter. red Kite and Buzzard recently added to garden list.
I think at times I underestimate what might be present in my local area. I'm sure Eccup reservoir must turn up more than is reported. The trouble is it is so hard to work. Does anyone know the best way of working it -key vantage points other than the south side where all the dod walkers file past?

Hmm not sure. keith dickinson works that area I think so he my be able to help.

The whole section between harewood and wetherby isn't touched. I think I may dig out an ordnance survey and see where I end up. The number of small copses must hold some good stuff I'm sure. Most of the birds I've had at Sicklinghall are flyovers or clling so can't be missed.

stanacko said:
Hi Marcus,
Is the Rodley reserve only open Wednesdays,Saturdays & Sundays ?
Regards Stan.

Yeah, annoying huh. I've passed other days and it's been open, but these are the only official days. It says 10-4, but most days it's open about 8 to 6

Blacktoft Visit 29th July

Hi

I was asked to give a bird list for this visit to Blacktoft with the RSPB group. I have included report that appears on Ex Beebers Forum and listed any other birds seen at the reserve or on adjoining land. I would say at this point there is some disagreement about the Kittiwake, and there was on the day. I must say I agreed it had a look of a Kittiwake but agree it is more likely to have been a Common Gull in that area. No one was able to view it well when I was in the hide.
Blacktoft Visit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

It was the annual RSPB group visit to Blacktoft RSPB reserve yesterday, and what a day. We left Newcastle in the warmth and sun and arrived at the reserve in even greater warmth and sun. It was a day for shorts and suncream for some members. Neither for me! I thought the hides and my hat would offer enough protection from the sun. Before I move onto the birds let me say the place was buzzing with insects and Butterflies, especially, where all over the place. With my limited skills I reckon I picked out lots of Red Admirals, Peacocks, Small Whites and Large Whites, then there was also a few Commas, Painted Ladies and Meadow Browns. No doubt I missed some. Lots of less attractive insects too but I seem to have managed to escape serious bites on this occasion.

I made right away for the hide where 2 Spoonbills where recorded. I wasn't disappointed and had great views. There had been some discussion as to whether or not these birds which have been seen at Blacktoft over recent years might be escapes. I think not, as I have read recently that the birds are breeding so well in Europe they are now visting the east coast of Britain regularly. On this particular pool there were several Grey Herons, and good numbers of Ruff, in various stages of plumage, Dunlin, Avocets, Black Tailed Godwits, Snipe, Redshank, Spotted Redshank and Greenshank. Also spotted amongs the gulls was a Kittiwake???. I assumed this had flown inland up the Humber. Moving on to the farthest hide to the right of the centre, the pool was found to be fairly quiet but we did have good views of Marsh Harriers. Some in the distance, some much closer. I love watching these birds in flight just above the reeds and grasses and their plumages were picked out well by the sun. I reckon I saw at least 2 pairs today and probably more. I watched one male fly over the pool directly in front of one of the hides.

The hides were not comfortable places in the heat and with the numbers of insects, but keeping the doors open with our bags helped let in some much needed draft. It wasn't long before we found pairs of Green Sandpipers. Of course there was lots of Lapwings about. Sedge Warblers were heard although there seemed to be a scarcity of smaller songbirds around. I did manage to see 1 Reed Bunting in flight and 1 Willow Warbler and parties of Goldfinch were also seen. Other members saw the Tree Sparrow near the carpark and the odd Reed Warbler but I failed with those. The hightlight of the day was perhaps watching 2 Bearded Tits on the edge of the pool just behind a Little Egret. The Bearded Tits were showing well, climbing the reeds and then coming out onto the mud. This is only the second time I have seen them. Ducks included Mallard, Teal Gadwall, Shoveller and Ruddy Duck. The latter two species not seen by me. There were 1 or 2 Great Crested Grebe about and a Little Grebe was seen by some members.

I walked up to the wetland area at Ousefleet knowing it would be bone dry. There was a large flock of Lapwings which look stunning when they took off and circled in the sunlight. Looking down towards the pool we got close up views of a pair of Green Sandpiper and watched large numbers of Black Tailed Godwits fly over. By now, mid afternoon there was a bit of a breeze geting up and it was a grand feeling. I suspected this was bringing the storms from the west. It remained dry and hot however. At this point I saw one of the Spoonbills in flight in the distance. Having a slow walk back we paid a further visit to one or two hides. It felt strange to find one of the pools which had been so busy with birds on our arrival to be now almost deserted, except for the odd Grey Heron, Moorhen and Coot.

This is a truely wonderful reserve as many on this forum already know. Amongst my favourite places to visit. There is such a good selection of bird species, some of which are rather rare in my part of the north east. I have said before, that in my opinion, it beats Leighton Moss hands down. I can never quite understand why it is always so quiet. Not that I am complaining about that. I dont especially like doing my bird watching from busy hides. Perhaps it is because the reserve has no tearoom. I can only say I hope that it stays that way!

Group total for the trip was 62 species incuding birds seen on the journey and heard only. I'm afraid it did not include the Hobby which had been reported just before our arrival. My own total was 48, with 8 of them new for the year list. A quality day indeed. Thank you Yorkshire!

Other species seen

Turnstone
B H Gull
L B B Gull
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Collared dove
Swift
Swallow
House Martin
Pied Wagtail
Yellow Wagtail (some uncertainty here)
Wren
Dunnock (heard only)
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Blue Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Rook
Chaffinch
Greenfinch

So glad you and your Group enjoyed the day, Brian. We've been there in all kinds of weather and always thoroughly enjoy it. One day immediately springs to mind - it was winter with it being a lovely cold day with blue skies at our end of Yorkshire - near the Lancashire border - and at Blacktoft it was freezing with all the water having a covering of ice. The two main birds we saw were bittern and water rail which had come out onto the ice searching for food. The rail was slithering right out in the open. Must have been the day we saw the least number of birds, but what quality!

Sandra

Sandra (Taylor) said:
So glad you and your Group enjoyed the day, Brian. We've been there in all kinds of weather and always thoroughly enjoy it. One day immediately springs to mind - it was winter with it being a lovely cold day with blue skies at our end of Yorkshire - near the Lancashire border - and at Blacktoft it was freezing with all the water having a covering of ice. The two main birds we saw were bittern and water rail which had come out onto the ice searching for food. The rail was slithering right out in the open. Must have been the day we saw the least number of birds, but what quality!

Sandra

Hi Sanda
I have never been to Blacktoft in Winter as it's usually been around this time of year. Perhaps i will get the chance to visit in winter in the future. I would like to get to Weldrake Ings then too, I think. I have never seen a Bittern. |=(|

brianfm said:
Hi Sanda
I have never been to Blacktoft in Winter as it's usually been around this time of year. Perhaps i will get the chance to visit in winter in the future. I would like to get to Weldrake Ings then too, I think. I have never seen a Bittern. |=(|

some photo's taken at blacktoft last week...

Attachments

• avocet.JPG
    avocet.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 276
  • Dunlin.JPG
    Dunlin.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 264
  • avocets.JPG
    avocets.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 249
  • blackwit.JPG
    blackwit.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 265
  • reeve.JPG
    reeve.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 284
Great report Brian. Glad you had a good day. Blacktoft certainly is a magical place at all times of the year.
My favourite memory from the reserve was last winter, while watching the raptors roost. After a couple of Marsh Harriers and a Sparrowhawk, we were lucky enough to see an adult male Hen Harrier, along with a couple of Ringtails. Worth freezing my backside off for any day!
By the way, nice photos Jimmy2faces.

red-necked grebe at Hatfield Moor

Saw the red-necked grebe at Hatfield Moor today - beautiful bird in summer plumage and well worth a visit.

Lawts said:
I'm sure Eccup reservoir must turn up more than is reported. The trouble is it is so hard to work. Does anyone know the best way of working it -key vantage points other than the south side where all the dod walkers file past?

You can't legally do anything other than walk the path avoiding the dog c**p....but there are places where the fence is a little low and it is possible for a scally to get over the wire and have a quiet wander through the plantation and settle down near the water to scan the ducks......this is what I have been told..honest officer. I would never do that...LOL
You can also legally walk over the golf course as there is a public right of way....this can turn up both GS and Green woodies as well as a good number of warblers...willow, whitethroat, chiffs etc.
I haven't worked the Eccup area for a couple of years but used to turn up bullfinches in good numbers along the path, jays round the pummping house, willow and coal tits in the conifers, have had tawny owl round the back of the plantation.
Almost always got a sparrowhawk over the plantation, usually female oddly enough very rarely saw a male, and of course the kites used to be very numerous, max i have had there was 14 in the sky together but there have been larger counts.

Sandra (Taylor) said:

Blacktoft holds fond memories for me as my early boyhood interest in birds was rekindled with a trip there in 1983. The day started with me arriving on the wrong side of the river, (the actual village/hamlet of Blacktoft is on the north side)! Having relocated to the south, as soon as I entered the Xerox hide, (one of only two or three back then and with no vegetation built up around them) the chap next to me immediately announced "Spoonbill in flight there" and I managed to get good views as it flew off. I also added Cuckoo and Marsh Harrier as new on the day.

My second trip a couple of weeks later was much more bizarre. I arrived to find the car park heaving. I joined a queue to see a bird I'd never heard of. I had no rarity info. and had just turned up to do some general birdwatching. A couple of hours later I was watching a Hudsonian Godwit, (on my list before Bar or Black-tailed). In a packed hide waiting for the godwit to show, I remember whispering "Stock Dove" under my breath to my brother as one landed in front on the mud and this was also new for us both, although I'm sure it wasn't for everyone else in there!

It is a great reserve but be warned it can also be quite dead on occasions. When the waders have gone but the winter birds such as Hen Harrier haven't arrived, I've had plenty of trips where the highlights have been a Shelduck and the odd Coot!

As for the Spoonbills, there is no reason to suspect they are escapes. Spoonbill is annual at Blacktoft, and often one or two linger througout the summer. I've had dutch ringed birds there before today.

brianfm said:
Hi Sanda

Bitterns are now being seen at Blacktoft, although a better place to see them in Yorkshire is Potteric Carr. There can be several there in winter and they can be quite showy. The small reedbeds at Wintersett Reservoir and Pugney's C.P. usually hold Bittern in winter as well, and one usually scores.

Lawts said:
Bitterns are now being seen at Blacktoft, although a better place to see them in Yorkshire is Potteric Carr. There can be several there in winter and they can be quite showy. The small reedbeds at Wintersett Reservoir and Pugney's C.P. usually hold Bittern in winter as well, and one usually scores.

Cheers Steve. I had heard that Potteric Carr was very good for Bittern. I have yet to visit. It's on my list though.

Sandra (Taylor) said:

Sandra

That report fulfills a contractual obligation with Sandra ;)

It was part of the conditions of being allowed into Yorkshire that we provided a report lol.

Seriously my first visit, and a great reserve - probably less than 140 mile.

Steve

brianfm said:
Cheers Steve. I had heard that Potteric Carr was very good for Bittern. I have yet to visit. It's on my list though.

Winter visits for the bittern Brian....my first visit to Potteric in January this year gave me one of the best, closest and longest views of bittern that I have ever had

Users who are viewing this thread

Back