• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida late November/early December. (1 Viewer)

kas

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice, as I am struggling to find the information I am looking for on the internet (there is too much info!!)

Where is the best area to choose for birding holiday during the last week in November, first few days of December as I am hoping to fit a trip in.
I especially love birding round water, fresh or salt water and enjoy bird photography too. I am not the most serious of birders and definitely prefer quality time watching a bird, over ticking large numbers of species.

I realise its maybe not the best time go, but its the only time I can fit a holiday in for now.

All advice appreciated, Many Thanks.

I sure wasn't disappointed in the Everglades during that time of year years ago. You might look into that area.

I sure wasn't disappointed in the Everglades during that time of year years ago. You might look into that area.

Many thanks for that 👍 I will start looking into that now.
I was worried about choosing an area in case it would be quiet at that time of year.
I have been to Florida twice but both times were on family holidays to Orlando. we saw some great birds then so I decided I might try to go back for a birding trip.

Much appreciated 😊😊

Kas- If you are not limited to where you can go in the state of Florida, several locations come to mind for first visit by a photographing birder. Paynes Prairie (near Gainesville), Black Point Wildlife Drive (near Titusville), Corkscrew Swamp (near Fort Meyers) and Everglades National Park (near Homestead). South Florida offers a wide variety of locations, like Loxahatchee, which I've never been to but have heard is nice and the Florida Keys, for that tropical island vibe. Really, it's a fabulous state for birding and hard to go wrong wherever you end up.

Steve

I'm also going to be in Florida (central area near Orlando) during early December and was looking at the Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands for a day trip. Any recommendations or other places that might be better? Also wondering what the mosquito situation will be like in December, any input appreciated! Thanks

Central Florida recommendations: Orlando Wetlands Park - now open year round; Merritt Island, which includes the before mentioned Black Point Wildlife Drive; Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive, open Friday - Sunday and holidays.

In South Florida you will have plenty of options within about 1 hour round drive. That time of year is particularly good down here due to the migration and wintering birds arriving and filling in with the local birds. Some very good spots where you would easily see 40-50 species of birds within a 2-hour walk would be: Wakodahatchee Wetlands, Green Cay Wetlands, Peaceful Waters, Arthur Marshall Wildlife Refuge, Wellington Wetlands, and Spanish River Beach Park. all of those are within about 50 square miles in one county - Palm Beach. Most are free to access - Arthur Marshall may have the gate attended for a $5 parking fee...and Spanish River beach park can be very expensive to park but you can alternatively park along the side of the road at the meters and walk in. That would give you deep wetlands and wading birds, plenty of forest area for perching birds, and plenty of coastal access for ocean birds...and you could hit them all in a busy day, or spread out over several days hitting 2 per day.
Generally in Florida mosquitos won't be an issue in December - they exist, but even if it's warmer than usual, they're not very active in December and only around at night or very early morning if at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back