• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 5DS R (1 Viewer)

Just that because the file size is large for each shot taken, the camera processor takes a little bit longer to deal with them, so you can't just go blasting away with it like with some cameras or you soon have to wait for the buffer to clear. Also post processing takes that bit longer if you have been trigger happy.

Thanks Rob. Makes sense. It wouldn't bother me since "spray n pray" is not usually a technique I use and I'm happy to work with cameras like the 5D which has to be one of the slowest DSLRs ever made!

Thank you all who are interested in canon 5DSR topic.
I take birds’ photos only by hands and never use tripod. All shown pictures are taken by Canon 500/4.0L and extender Soligor x1.7 (850mm).
This is an example of a photo “by hands”, showing a sitting bird.

http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/20160920/20160920v.html

Big problems arise when taking pictures of a bird flying towards you.
During two seasons of using 5DSR I wasn’t able to take a single picture of a bird flying towards me. At the same time I did manage to take pretty good photos using the same 500/4+x1.7 at Canon 7D mark II. You can take a look at these pictures in my blog-posts about Canon 7D mark II.
The issue here is very large lag of shutter of 5DSR

5DSR - 78ms.
7DII - 52ms.

So after a bird is caught by the focus, 78 ms will take it further away from the point of focus. Both 5DSR and 7DmII have more or less similarly shallow pixel, but pictures of a flying bird with 7DmII are acceptable, and with 5DS R are not.
That’ s why with 5DSR there are no problems with taking pictures of a still bird and it is impossible to take a good picture of a bird flying at a photographer. A bird flying at an unchanging distance between it and a photographer can get shot pretty well.
So I think Canon 5DS R is not very suitable for a photo-hunt. Currently I think over getting back to Canon 7D Mark II.
Shutter speed data 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III:
5D Mark II - 73ms.
5D Mark III - 59ms.

5D mark III, 500L + x1.7:
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/peganka/20161225.html
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/zhuravl_seryi/20161225.html
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/skopa/20161225.html
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/soyka/20161225.html
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/sip_belogolovyi/20161225.html

5D mark II, 500L + x1.7:
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/bolotnaya_sova/20161225.html

7D mark II, 500L + x1.7:
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/orel-karlik/20161225.html

Last edited:
That is what we want to hear Vladimir. What it's like to actually use the camera. In one post you have convinced me it's not the camera for me but I am seriously considering a 7D2 as a back up for my 1DX2. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Well I'm quite happy with the 5DSr but I mostly use a tripod and Lensmaster RH-2 Gimbal I'm not saying it gets every shot but I don't see a big problem if a birds flying at me .
The key is to keep on the bird and pump the shutter but I do that with my 1DXMKII its just the way I do things .
this is not pin sharp but I'm happy with it 5dsr 600f4mkII + 1.4 tc close crop 66%
Rob.

Attachments

• 0F7A0216.jpg
    0F7A0216.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 66%.jpg
    66%.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 146
Well I'm quite happy with the 5DSr but I mostly use a tripod and Lensmaster RH-2 Gimbal I'm not saying it gets every shot but I don't see a big problem if a birds flying at me .
The key is to keep on the bird and pump the shutter but I do that with my 1DXMKII its just the way I do things .
this is not pin sharp but I'm happy with it 5dsr 600f4mkII + 1.4 tc close crop 66%
Rob.

Merci!
I apply settings:
http://www.deryabino.ru/test/Case/20160929.html
What settings You used on the camera 5DsR?

I too am happy with my 5DSR, I haven't noticed any shutter lag, 2.6 hundreths of a second longer than the 7D2 is not going to make that much difference, the large viewfinder is a definite aid to finding birds in flight, and in my view the focusing system is at least on par with, if not better than the 7d2.

It's hard to convey the amount of detail that this camera is capable of capturing in a web sized image but it really is streets ahead of anything other Canon body I have used, including the 7d2 for fine feather detail.

It's not going to appeal to everyone, and I don't think there's any great advantage using it with anything other than top of the line optics, but for my type of photography, I wouldn't swap it for anything else currently in Canon's range.

As Robert says the full frame really helps to find the bird, it is a big difference from a crop camera

I always shoot in Manual and slow the tracking too -1 I don't tend to change the other settings often I only use center point but sometimes up down left right assist although I may also use the center block for say a redshank in flight or fast moving bird in the sky,i use the same settings on my 1dxmkII .
Rob.

Last edited:
The 5DS R came out after the 7D2 and I'm thinking both Robert and Rob have previously owned both.
Either of you tempted by the 5D4 ?

As a back up to the 1DX2 which would you go for now?
The 7D2 can be obtained for less than £1k new, the 5DSR around £2.5k, the 5D4 around £3.5k. Significant differences.
There's also the 5DS at around £2.0k to consider too.

What am I looking for ?
1)More reach but better bokeh by not using a teleconverter.
I have a 600mm f4, 500mmf4, and 70-200mmf2.8. I'd like to use them wide open more often.
2)A back up camera to be able to have two different lenses available for use at the same time without changing bodies.
3)Be able to use the lenses without needing a tripod, using a rest such as a window frame perhaps though.

What I don't need is high fps for the type of shot I envisage.
High ISO isn't a priority either as the IDX is excellent in both of these areas.

Your opinions would be most welcome.
Thanks Dave

Last edited:
Its very rare I shoot above ISO 800 with any camera and I bought the 5DSr for the MPs and crop ability the 1dx MK II should have been 30mps as the 5dmk4 is now.
I would still go for the 5DSr as it in effect makes shorter lenses longer without a TC and of cause give's a faster shutter speed to play with although I do find you need a 1 stop faster shutter like with the 7dmkII this just give's an overall edge to getting sharpness as compared to say 20MPs .
The file size is a pain sometimes but if you crop then do the PP work its not so bad .

For fast action I would always go for the mkII birds fighting ,take off or landing the FPS and fast reaction just really helps get the shot but for perched or slower flyers, birds walking towards you then the 5DSr is well able to cope after all even the mighty 1DXMKII does not guarantee you WILL get the shot .
All just my opinion .
Rob.

The 5DS R came out after the 7D2 and I'm thinking both Robert and Rob have previously owned both.
Either of you tempted by the 5D4 ?

As a back up to the 1DX2 which would you go for now?
The 7D2 can be obtained for less than £1k new, the 5DSR around £2.5k, the 5D4 around £3.5k. Significant differences.
There's also the 5DS at around £2.0k to consider too.

I was tempted by the 4k video of the 5D4 as that is an area that I am keen to explore, so got one from Digital Rev. Initial impressions of that side of things isn't that great, and a few raw photos I have taken with it of some gulls in good light shows that the fine detail is not as good as the 5DSr, as you would expect, though it's certainly not bad. I will probably take both bodies on holiday to South America in just over a month's time and by then I hope to have made a decent assessment of both, but I have a feeling that I will be selling the 5D4 when I get back and hanging onto the DSr.

I think a case could be argued for any one of those bodies you have listed Dave as a back up to the DX, they are all fine machines. I'd probably lean towards one of the 5D bodies though, myself.

Thanks Robert and Rob for your input.
After much consideration I decided that the best option was a used 7D2 which I managed to find at an excellent price and with a barely used shutter here on Birdforum. I need the body in the coming weeks so looking for a used 5DsR or 5D4 wasn't viable.
The extra pixels would have been an interesting feature to play with and I'd love a camera that was able to take time lapse but at the end of the day, ££££££££'s over nice to have features won. What I saved I'll put towards the next 1D body when it comes out. Hopefully it might well be 30MP's but I won't hold my breath. FPS seems to be the only consideration with pro bodies as far as Canon are concerned and I can see why too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back