• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell E2 vs. Vortex Viper (1 Viewer)

boxpo2000

Hello all. I've been doing so much reading and I'm torn between these two models for my next purchase. I had a pair of the B&L Elite's a few years back and loved them, but I've also been reading great things about the Viper.

Anybody have any opinions on this match-up?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Hello all. I've been doing so much reading and I'm torn between these two models for my next purchase. I had a pair of the B&L Elite's a few years back and loved them, but I've also been reading great things about the Viper.

Anybody have any opinions on this match-up?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Here is a link to a review of mid-priced binoculars that ranked the Viper above the e2, especially in terms of optical quality (navigate to the extended version of the chart to see the rankings):

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2007roundup/binoculars_midpriced.html

Here is a link to a review comparing the Viper with the more expensive Bushnell Elite.

http://www.birddigiscoping.com/2006/11/vortex-viper-binocular-review.html

The author of this particular review works for vortex optics, but I think he is quite objective.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Here's my quick opinion, extracted from this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102373

--AP
Vortex 8x42 Viper--Nice comfortable view due to excellent eye-relief and sweet spot, though a bit restricted (347 ft FOV). Fast but precise focus, nice ergonomics and styling. These seemed quite functional optically, though they had quite a bit more CA (even in the very center of the field) than my Leica 8x42 Ultravid which have never impressed me w/respect to CA control. Color rendition seemed very neutral to me (I've read that others have found them on the warm side). All in all a fine bino but the price seems high ($500) because I'm not sure how they're any better than the best of the cheaper offerings.

Bushnell 8x42 e2--Shockingly bad. These must be one of the most overpriced binoculars currently available ($500). They have a narrow FOV, considerable astigmatic and other aberrations outside the very center of the field, buckets of CA.

All in all a fine bino but the price seems high ($500) because I'm not sure how they're any better than the best of the cheaper offerings.

You are certainly very knowledgeable about binoculars and entitled to your opinion, but just for the benefit of the original poster, I note that your assessment differs dramatically from others'. The birdwatching.com website, for example, rates the vipers "the best binocular buy of all" -- in any price range. See the link here: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/binocularpicks.html

I think this just confirms once again that different people have different tastes, and value different things, when it comes to binoculars. Always best to try before you buy if you can, because your particular taste may differ from that of others.

Cordially,
Jim

I've done a couple of quick at-the-dealer comparisons of the e2 vs my Viper. For my money the Viper is both brighter and sharper than the e2. I've had no problems with color fringing of any sort from the Viper. It's there in any binocular, but I do not notice it in the Viper. Didn't notice it in casual looking I did with the e2, but I really do not seem to notice color fringing much. The only binocular that has ever given me pause in that regard is the Pentax SP.

Last edited:
I can't speak specifically to your question, but Vortex has evidently had serious quality control problems for parts of its line. Before making a decision you might want to slog through some of these postings:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=111752&highlight=Vortex

There does seem to have been a rash of recent postings where people have reported problems. But I have not seen any reports of problems with respect to the Vipers, and a few postings of problems on this forum is simply anecdotal evidence and does not really prove that vortex is having more problems than anyone else. Also, the Vipers are made in Japan, while some of the lower end models are made in China.

Cordially,
Jim

Last edited:
. . .and a few postings of problems on this forum is simply anecdotal evidence and does not really prove that vortex is having more problems than anyone else

Responses to questions of the type "Anybody have any opinions on this match-up?" are necessarily anecdotal and there's no harm in that. What else does the consumer have to go by? Puff pieces by company employees and brand loyalists? Unscientific (and often advertiser-influenced) "surveys" published in popular magazines?

Responses to questions of the type "Anybody have any opinions on this match-up?" are necessarily anecdotal and there's no harm in that. What else does the consumer have to go by? Puff pieces by company employees and brand loyalists? Unscientific (and often advertiser-influenced) "surveys" published in popular magazines?

Consumer Reports publishes surveys from thousands of respondents listing failure rates for automobiles, television sets, vacuum cleaners, etc. That is the type of non-anecdotal evidence that would give a more meaningful assessment of the reliability of a particular product. I am not aware of any such surveys for binoculars, but it is certainly not inconceivable that someone might have information that was broader in scope (e.g. someone who works in optics repair).

In any event, I believe it is always useful to emphasize that evidence is merely anecdotal and should be considered circumspectly for that reason. However, I did not mean to suggest it should be disregarded--I agree it bears watching.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Going along with those anecdotal observations is ample anecdotal evidence of Vortex's impressive customer service. They sound like they might actually be better than Swarovski at swift repair and or replacement. So it wouldn't be much of a gamble to give them a try.

Here's my quick opinion, extracted from this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102373

--AP

Bushnell 8x42 e2--Shockingly bad. These must be one of the most overpriced binoculars currently available ($500). They have a narrow FOV, considerable astigmatic and other aberrations outside the very center of the field, buckets of CA.

Sorry Alexis. I appeal to your opinion but quite frankly its misguided. If you understand where the products are made and who engineers the optical system, you would understand. The Vortex is an off-the-shelf design by a Japanese manufacturer that has no credibility to speak of. The glass is very ordinary which resembles the kind used in Barska, Simmons or Tasco products. The product is heavy and very unbalanced and did you notice the jerky-nature of the focus wheel. On the otherhand, you should be impressed by the precision and well thoughtout design of the Elite e2 binoculars from a company that has been around a long time. The bino has very little aborations (chromatic or otherwise) due to the use of a special aspheric lens that is not, I repeat, not made of plastic like Pentax uses. Finally, the light transmission is astonishing and puts all the others to shame in that regard. Now, if its FOV that you want to pick on, try the Bushnell Excursion or or the new Double-Bridge ExcursionEX. Close-focus, Wide FOV and very Long Eye-Relief (19-21mm). As far as price, I have tried Swarovski, this Vortex, and Pentax DCF along with the Leica UltraVid. I get a better all around binocular for half a grand vs. spending twice or up to four times that much. Overpriced? I think not...not by a long shot.

Sorry Alexis. I appeal to your opinion but quite frankly its misguided. If you understand where the products are made and who engineers the optical system, you would understand. The Vortex is an off-the-shelf design by a Japanese manufacturer that has no credibility to speak of. The glass is very ordinary which resembles the kind used in Barska, Simmons or Tasco products. The product is heavy and very unbalanced and did you notice the jerky-nature of the focus wheel. On the otherhand, you should be impressed by the precision and well thoughtout design of the Elite e2 binoculars from a company that has been around a long time. The bino has very little aborations (chromatic or otherwise) due to the use of a special aspheric lens that is not, I repeat, not made of plastic like Pentax uses. Finally, the light transmission is astonishing and puts all the others to shame in that regard. Now, if its FOV that you want to pick on, try the Bushnell Excursion or or the new Double-Bridge ExcursionEX. Close-focus, Wide FOV and very Long Eye-Relief (19-21mm). As far as price, I have tried Swarovski, this Vortex, and Pentax DCF along with the Leica UltraVid. I get a better all around binocular for half a grand vs. spending twice or up to four times that much. Overpriced? I think not...not by a long shot.

Thanks for setting me straight on all this! I made the mistake of evaluating the optics based on the view through the binoculars. Next time I'll be sure to figure in the credibility of the manufacturer (can you direct me to a source for these ratings?) and I'll be sure to read Bushnell's advertising literature a little more closely before I judge how much CA or astigmatism their products have.

In all seriousness, I've tried only a few Vortex 8x42 Viper units, but they've all been fine binoculars, well balanced and with smooth focus. I've only looked through one Bushnell Elite e2--the one in the Bushnell showroom--maybe it was a lemon? I don't care how cheap it is compared to the top-end stuff, it's expensive compared to equal or better performing $250 roofs and $100 porros.

--AP

Hi all,

I will throw an english point of view in if you like,
I recently (About 3 months or so) saved up enough money to spend around £500-£600 ($1000-$1200) on some new bins it took me quite a while to save so wasnt going to part with my hard earned cash easily.
The bins I had been using were Bushnell 8x42 Natureview porros and havd been extremely pleased with them from the day i got them really good value for a starter pair of bins, so i was alredy looking at maybe getting the E2's or posibly even elites.
Anyway as i said above i reaaly wanted to be sur i got the right bins for my money an d subsequentlly tried loads of pairs from all manufacturers (even some second hand sets from the big 3) after all that i ended up with guess what Vortex Vipers 8x42.
Comparing them with the e2S THERE WAS NO CONTEST brighter sharper nicer colour rendition, and just felt better made in the hand.
Even against other brands i really favoured what i was seeing.
3 months down the line and having lived with the bins for some serious hours in the field I can honestly say they are amazing bins, I wear glases and even all day birding no eye strain at all light and great views in really low light (They really are the brightest i have ever seen) and tough too.

anyway to sum up I LOVE EM.
I dont care what they cost who makes them, whether they are mass made in japan tonga or outer mongolia, there great value bins that perform brilliantly.

Cheers Darryl

Hmmmm... A poster posting anonymously, who makes his first post promoting one binocular, and trashing several others. And who also has opinions not shared by anyone else on the forum. Also claims to be from the same relatively small city as the poster he is responding to (interesting coincidence). I have always wondered about employees of optics companies and/or optics dealers posting undercover on this forum. Hmmmmm.....

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back