• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

impressions on the Canon 10x42L IS (1 Viewer)

SUPPRESSOR

England
My Canon 10x42s arrived today all the way from Hong Kong taking just 4,working days to arrive and costing £812 including delivery,not a bad price for a new pair of bins of such quality.

Kimmo has written a first class review of this model and as far as the optics go I have nothing to add, they do indeed offer a first class image.

I have read that other people who have tried these binoculars have had issues with the eye cups and both the rain guard and objective covers so I was a bit concerned I might find the same.But I am pleased to say this was not the case.
I don't wear glasses so have the eye cups fully extended and they offer me a perfect fit and feel with no blackouts they fit so snuggly that eye placement is spot on every time.
The rain guard is of very good quality fits nicely and does not fall off even when the bins are turned upside down.
The objective cover is of the same high quality and it can be a bit of a faff to fit on properly , but, if one takes the trouble to fit in on snug it stays put as it should.
The supplied neck strap is also of a high standard and I find it comfortable.

Another nice surprise was how good and steady the image is without the image stabilizer turned on,as good as any binocular I have had and I have had all the top models at one time or another.

So if you are thinking about having one of these binoculars try and spend a bit of time looking through one they might just fit you too,on the other hand if you are only able to manage binoculars that weigh the same as a sparrows breast feather don't bother!!

Suppressor.

Another nice surprise was how good and steady the image is without the image stabilizer turned on,as good as any binocular I have had and I have had all the top models at one time or another.

Can you be more specific? When you say "top", do you mean that the 10x42 equals an alpha class Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski? Specifically regarding color aberrations and sweet spot size?

I see that it is as heavy as the 18x50 is, which I have (and a 12x36 also). I'm happy with the 18x50 (after all it is a porro, with field flattener and UD glass and all). What would one gain with the 10x42 over the 18x50 which has higher resolution? Except the bigger exit pupil, since you get an even bigger with a good 8x42?

Last edited:
My Canon 10x42s arrived today all the way from Hong Kong taking just 4,working days to arrive and costing £812 including delivery,not a bad price for a new pair of bins of such quality.

Suppressor.

Congrats Suppressor - I'm sure that when and if I get another pair of bins it will be an IS pair.

Was there no import duty? Who did you use to purchase them?

I know a couple of tour guides use these so perhaps they will gradually become more common.

Can you be more specific? When you say "top", do you mean that the 10x42 equals an alpha class Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski? Specifically regarding color aberrations and sweet spot size?

I see that it is as heavy as the 18x50 is, which I have (and a 12x36 also). I'm happy with the 18x50 (after all it is a porro, with field flattener and UD glass and all). What would one gain with the 10x42 over the 18x50 which has higher resolution? Except the bigger exit pupil, since you get an even bigger with a good 8x42?

Hi,
Read Kimmo's review on the 10x42 I think his reviews are as good as they get,but,yes I think they give an alpha image.
suppressor.

Congrats Suppressor - I'm sure that when and if I get another pair of bins it will be an IS pair.

Was there no import duty? Who did you use to purchase them?

I know a couple of tour guides use these so perhaps they will gradually become more common.

Hi,
No import duty.
Expedite electronics . Now down to £809!!
suppressor

...yes I think they give an alpha image...suppressor.

Suppressor,

I understand you had and sold the 12x50 SV, and now have the 10x42L IS. I own and use the 10x50SV, but also thinking of picking up a Canon 10x42L. Optically, do you think the Canon would be equal to the gorgeous, easy on the eyes, optical quality and excellent FOV of the Swaro I have?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions you can offer!

Ted

I understand you had and sold the 12x50 SV, and now have the 10x42L IS. I own and use the 10x50SV, but also thinking of picking up a Canon 10x42L. Optically, do you think the Canon would be equal to the gorgeous, easy on the eyes, optical quality and excellent FOV of the Swaro I have?

If you just look at the amount of detail you get, even the lowly Canon 10x30 runs circles around your SV 10x50 (and ANY other 10x binocular that isn't stabilized).

Hermann

Suppressor,

Ted

This particular Canon is unbelievable. I've been comparing it to the markets best alphas for years. It outperforms my alpha zeiss, 8, 8.5SV and even the fujinon in numerous areas. Sharper to the edge (never ever seen an edge like this...totally different class even to Fuji and SV), larger apfov, and a better solution to a flat field (you never even think about it). It's control of glare is in another league to the SVs. It's a sunset monster. It's resolution and contrast are simply not exceeded. Imo this redline canon is one of the best glass ever made, it's just that its a plasticky brick!...with that IS which has been known to be erratic depending on how the bin is stored...or treated.

....but then when you engage IS....the other alphas are finished, even if it is a brick.

I'd like to see the old redline cannon go up against the new SF...optically and technically id wager my money on the plastic brick...and that's without engaging its Jedi mind trick IS.

And yes, the instructions do say to get a bucket of fresh water and to fully immerse the cannons to clean them.

A great Bino for sitting elbows propped on a balcony table...or a camping table.

Another popular mod with this bino is to screw two or three filter rings (glass removed ) into each objective to give the outer glass objectives (false themselves) a little more set back and protection. Also, if you cleanly slice off the rubber objective cover's remove assist rubber nodules/flaps which will stop them getting caught on the case every time you pull this bin in or out of its case. They also seem to snap more cleanly into the empty filter rings than originally otherwise.

Rathaus

Last edited:
Suppressor,

Ted

Hi Ted,
Yes I did have the 12x50 SV and it is a great binocular I P/E it for the new 10x42 Zeiss SF was,is,the Zeiss SF a better binocular no I don't think so,as good optically ,but,build wise I was not so happy.

Yes I still have the Canon 10x42L and it is as good as the very best birding binoculars I have ever looked through and thats before you engage the IS,something I don't do that often,but,when I do I am always impressed with it.

I have the binoculars hanging round my neck for four or five hours at a time with no discomfort and I find them very nice to hold.Solid build and useful if someone tried to mugg you!!!
suppressor.

Hi Ted,
Yes I did have the 12x50 SV and it is a great binocular I P/E it for the new 10x42 Zeiss SF was,is,the Zeiss SF a better binocular no I don't think so,as good optically ,but,build wise I was not so happy.

Yes I still have the Canon 10x42L and it is as good as the very best birding binoculars I have ever looked through and thats before you engage the IS,something I don't do that often,but,when I do I am always impressed with it.

I have the binoculars hanging round my neck for four or five hours at a time with no discomfort and I find them very nice to hold.Solid build and useful if someone tried to mugg you!!!
suppressor.

A little late, but Thanks to everyone (especially Suppressor) for your input! :t:

After much adieu, have a new 10x42L IS arriving next week (Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas present)!! B&H has a holiday exchange\return period till Feb1, 2017, thus have plenty of time to evaluate and compare to my arsenal of non-IS binos...should be very interesting!!! :eek!:

Ted

This particular Canon is unbelievable...with that IS which has been known to be erratic depending on how the bin is stored...or treated.

Rathaus

Rathaus,

What criteria has been discussed for "proper storage" to maintain a healthy IS in the 10x42L!?

Ted

This particular Canon is unbelievable. I've been comparing it to the markets best alphas for years. It outperforms my alpha zeiss, 8, 8.5SV and even the fujinon in numerous areas. Sharper to the edge (never ever seen an edge like this...totally different class even to Fuji and SV), larger apfov, and a better solution to a flat field (you never even think about it). It's control of glare is in another league to the SVs. It's a sunset monster. It's resolution and contrast are simply not exceeded. Imo this redline canon is one of the best glass ever made, it's just that its a plasticky brick!...with that IS which has been known to be erratic depending on how the bin is stored...or treated.

....but then when you engage IS....the other alphas are finished, even if it is a brick.

I'd like to see the old redline cannon go up against the new SF...optically and technically id wager my money on the plastic brick...and that's without engaging its Jedi mind trick IS.

And yes, the instructions do say to get a bucket of fresh water and to fully immerse the cannons to clean them.

A great Bino for sitting elbows propped on a balcony table...or a camping table.

Another popular mod with this bino is to screw two or three filter rings (glass removed ) into each objective to give the outer glass objectives (false themselves) a little more set back and protection. Also, if you cleanly slice off the rubber objective cover's remove assist rubber nodules/flaps which will stop them getting caught on the case every time you pull this bin in or out of its case. They also seem to snap more cleanly into the empty filter rings than originally otherwise.

Rathaus

Hi Rathaus,
Agree entirely on the idea of adding hoods to the Canon.
I found that 52mm lens hoods are cheap and effective.
I'd be happier if they were hard rubber rather than aluminum, but could not find any that did not widen after the fitting. :C

Rathaus,

What criteria has been discussed for "proper storage" to maintain a healthy IS in the 10x42L!?

Ted

It seems that the Canons like to be stored flat, rather than upright.
So I just use the strap to cushion them and protect the dresser top, with the tripod fitting side down.

Excellent, hope this is an indication that an enhanced mark 2 series is coming.

Actually, I believe it is just a "flash holiday special" that is to end in about an hour! However, after 11 years of virtually no change to the overall design (my manual still has a 2005 print date), a 10x42L IS II would be welcomed!! :t:

Ted

I use a Canon 12x36 IS II and couldn't stop myself from buying the 42 IS. I also have Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 in terms of image quality the Canon 12x36 is close with little softness compared to Zeiss, but when IS is engaged, its right at onpar with Zeiss if not better. I have put 12x36 on sale now and planning to give away my Zeiss conquest HD as a gift to a family member, with 10x42 IS as my one and only primary binoculars. Less gear and less clutter.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back