• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea-watching for beginners (1 Viewer)

Firebird5

United Kingdom
Hi all,

One of the several major gaps in my British list involves seabirds. OK, I've got all the easily obtainable ones that can be had from annual trips to South Stack in Anglesey, but the likes of Little Auk, Leach's Storm-petrel, etc. are all missing.

Living, as I do, just outside Liverpool, can anyone advise local headlands or other good sea-watching spots nearby? What would be the best times of year / weather patterns to aid seeing some of these species? And, perhaps most importantly, are there any active sea-watching groups that I could tag on to for a day to help me not write off everything I see as unidentifiable black/white blobs flitting across the wave tops?

Thanks,
Simon

Hi all,

One of the several major gaps in my British list involves seabirds. OK, I've got all the easily obtainable ones that can be had from annual trips to South Stack in Anglesey, but the likes of Little Auk, Leach's Storm-petrel, etc. are all missing.

Living, as I do, just outside Liverpool, can anyone advise local headlands or other good sea-watching spots nearby? What would be the best times of year / weather patterns to aid seeing some of these species? And, perhaps most importantly, are there any active sea-watching groups that I could tag on to for a day to help me not write off everything I see as unidentifiable black/white blobs flitting across the wave tops?

Thanks,
Simon

Formby Point is the only headland. In the right weather though (north westerly gales) the best bet for Leach's is to watch them battling out of the Mersey from either side of the mouth (most people go to New Brighton / Leasowe as access is less easy at Seaforth).

Little Auk is still a rarity in north west England so there are no shortcuts to seeing one except in a moribund state.

Stephen

To see Little Auk you will most likely need to travel to the East coast - Flamborough is a good bet - in suitable conditions in November. Its not the easiest bird to see I have to say: but a bit of courage and you will manage it.

John

They pop up on the south coast sometimes too... Usually on the same days I'm looking out to sea and wondering if I'm missing any interesting seabirds. Leach's from what I've heard is kind of erratic and seasonal, with chances fluctuating tremendously depending on how nature sees fit...but we could say that for anything I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back