• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (1 Viewer)

Audouin's still around this morning, giving much better (scope) views in lovely lighting from home - they are such a lovely gull. Wind dropping through mid-day and the fig leaves have stopped flapping and a Willow Warbler appeared. After a probable about 3 weeks ago this is the first this year. There will be many in the autumn but spring birds are thin on the ground.

59. Willow Warbler

After 17 days with no additions (in April too!) I finally started the list ticking over again yesterday with a male

58 Barn Swallow
flying around the farm down in the valley at least half a mile away (we'd seen it the day before as we passed the farm so it was just a question of scanning from here in that direction, still no sign of one any closer though);
Then a nice surprise this morning, showing really well, but of course by the time I'd got the camera out it was not so cooperative, anyone want to tell me what it is (see only photo I managed attached)?
59 ?????????????

That makes a paltry 5 species added in April, I've a lot of catching up to do!

Attachments

• 24.4.17.jpg
    24.4.17.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 51
Yesterday morning barn door on the sky...

#33. White-tailed Eagle

and this morning three Mallards (#34.) made overfly. Two drakes was chasing female.

Then a nice surprise this morning, showing really well, but of course by the time I'd got the camera out it was not so cooperative, anyone want to tell me what it is (see only photo I managed attached)?
59 ?????????????

That makes a paltry 5 species added in April, I've a lot of catching up to do!

My best shot is Willow Warbler. But you have there Bonelli's too, so...:smoke:

Had my own nice surprise this midday - popped out it the warm sunshine (that was one surprise in itself still) to hear a Cuckoo 'cuckooing' as it went north. At least I assume it was just passing through - there is habitat up that way. So ..

57) Garden Warber
58) Cuckoo (h)

Simon wins the lollipop,Wood Warbler it is, as Wari suggested, Bonelli's breeds around here but luckily for me Wood Warblers like to sing as they migrate so it advertised its presence!

Languishing in poor weather ...added a rare spring Kestrel this week to make it 83. Hopefully Richard's Wood Warbler is on its way, or any of its chums.

83. Kestrel

44. Common Loon (heard).
45. Yellow-rumped Warbler
46. Blue-headed Vireo. One of my favourites.

If anyone would like to add Eastern Phoebe to their garden lists, there is one in ours that I am willing to send out. Setting up a nest on our garage once again. This I have no problem with. The fact that it feels the need to tell the whole world about it at 5am every morning? Not so keen!

47. Common Merganser. 6 flew past the window as I hit save!

Dan 58, me 59 and Simon on 60, anyone want to bet on the year-end winner there?

Simon, thanks for the Chordettes link, you must be as old as me!

PS Snowing here this morning, the Blackcaps are a bit confused.

Dan 58, me 59 and Simon on 60, anyone want to bet on the year-end winner there?

Simon, thanks for the Chordettes link, you must be as old as me!

PS Snowing here this morning, the Blackcaps are a bit confused.

It should be you, on the basis of potential numbers of different migrant species.

It is kinda fun to have different levels of competition - mid, high or low.

Its silly o'clock, ideal still mild conditions - and there's a very welcome wonderful sound coming from much closer than normal - think its within 50 metres, can't see it but;

61. Red-necked Nightjar

Off to Doñana and around for 5 days in the morning ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back