• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Johann Ernst Immanuel Walch in ornithology ...? (1 Viewer)

janvanderbrugge

Of all the Starling species on earth I suppose the South African Wattled Starling Creatophora cinerea has received the largest amount of synonyms; in part, of course, as a result of the curious wattles featuring this bird in its nesting season, which are partly or completely missing at other periods. Gmelin calls this species Gracula carunculata and according to Richmond's Index his name is based upon: Walch.Naturf. II.p.9. t.2.17. p.14.
This leads to Johann Ernst Immanuel Walch (1725-1778), a theologian and linguistic scholar of Jena, Germany, who in his later years became active in natural history. He wrote "Die Naturgeschichte der Versteinerungen" (the natural history of petrifactions), published in four volumes, 1768-1773.
Biodiversity Heritage Library has only volume I, in the Dutch edition by M.Houttuyn and J.C.Sepp, title "De Natuurlijke Historie der Versteeningen", Amsterdam, 1773. The title page says that the work was initiated by Georg Wolfgang Knorr and continuated by Johann Ernst Immanuel Walch. The book contains a large quantity of drawings of fossils of fishes, insects and other invertebrates; fascinating, but no birds.

Of course I wondered if Richmond's quote Walch.Naturf. perhaps should
read Walch, Naturg. (for: Naturgeschichte), but I did not succeed in finding any additional information about the several volumes or anything from their contents. I would like to see the description of Tringa carunculata capensis and other species which Walch could have discussed. Apparently Jena University offers no service for such a peculiar quest . . .
Hopefully somebody who reads this can give me a hint or URL or copy of a piece of text.
Thank you very much in advance, cheers,
Jan van der Brugge

Of course I wondered if Richmond's quote Walch.Naturf. perhaps should
read Walch, Naturg. (for: Naturgeschichte) ...
Jan, you can find Walch's "Tringa carunculata capensis" in Der Naturforscher ... (1782), here and as "Tringa carunculata Capensis" (1777) ... here.

If ever meant as a bi- or trinomial is beyond my understanding. See note here.

If of any help?
--

Last edited:
Gmelin calls this species Gracula carunculata and according to Richmond's Index his name is based upon: Walch.Naturf. II.p.9. t.2.17. p.14.
Gmelin's I's and 1's are not always really distinguishable, but he apparently intended to cite [here]:
Tringa carunculata capensis. Walch Naturf. 11. p. 9. t. 2. 17. p. 14.
Der Naturforscher appears to have been some kind of periodical publication. The reference is to two pages and a plate published by Walch in this outlet:
- "11. p. 9. t. 2." = page 9 and plate (tabula) 2 in the 11th issue: [here] (scroll up to see [unfortunately, only a part of] the figure),
- "17. p. 14." = page 14 of the 17th issue [here].

17th issue was indeed published in 1882, thus after Walch's death. The relevant text here doesn't appear to be by Walch himself, actually, but by the editor of Der Naturforscher, who had received additional parts of Walch's work through his brother. It was intended as a retrospective comment on the already published parts.

Last edited:
Better scans of the texts, with complete, but black and white plates (and no OCR) [here].
- 11. p. 9. [here]
- 11. t. 2. [here]
- 17. p. 14. [here]
(Based on the info on this site, Der Naturforscher was apparently edited by Walch himself in 1777, and by Johann Christian Daniel Schreber in 1882. The 1882 Beyträge zur exotischen Ornithologie are indeed signed "S." on [p.23].)

Last edited:
Björn, Laurent,
Thank you very much for your actions to reveal the text fragments written by or copied from Walch and the explanation added to them.
Laurent wrote:
"17th issue was indeed published in 1882, thus after Walch's death. The relevant text here doesn't appear to be by Walch himself, actually, but by the editor of Der Naturforscher, who had received additional parts of Walch's work through his brother. It was intended as a retrospective comment on the already published parts."

I had seen this construction, explained by the editor, while struggling through the Gothic characters. In fact, the Gothic is not the problem, it is the bad quality of the printed text . . . I might reactivate my topic on this strange name Tringa carunculata Capensis; the editor of Der Naturforscher appeared to share my wondering about this generic name for a Starling (although he did not say it was one), deviant as it might be.

There is an unexpected bonus in Der Naturforscher: a list of names and descriptions called "Preussische Ornithology", in which for example the innocent Striated Flycatcher bears the name Pestilenzvogel . . . Reminds me of our Dutch name "Pestvogel" (still the normal vernacular name) for Waxwing, based on the old superstition that the flocks of these birds brought the dreaded disease plague with them from eastern regions.

Thanks, hope to offer you some reading soon.
Jan van der Brugge

... There is an unexpected bonus in Der Naturforscher: a list of names and descriptions called "Preussische Ornithology", in which for example the innocent Striated Flycatcher bears the name Pestilenzvogel . . . Reminds me of our Dutch name "Pestvogel" (still the normal vernacular name) for Waxwing, based on the old superstition that the flocks of these birds brought the dreaded disease plague with them from eastern regions.
Jan, compare with Der Pestilenzvogel "Sylvia Pestilentialis"* KLEIN 1750 (here) a k a Todtenvogel, etc. ...

If relevant, or not?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back