• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Are there no WPs in Australia?
Jeff

Nope, not at all, we missed out on those beauties. :( The closest species are in Indonesia. I find it quite interesting actually, I have sometimes wondered whether the wood of our eucalypt trees isn't suitable for them to hammer or drill (I'm not sure what term is used) into. I have thought though that I'm sure that our large parrot species would benefit from the hollows created by some of the larger woodpecker species. But I doubt I'll ever get to test that theory :-O But I do love woodpeckers, they're my favourite birds from my visit to the U.S.

Had work the last two days so haven't been out to see the garden much. Although there was another blackbird feather left in the birdbath ;)

Had a brambling at the feeders this morning at 7am. Been around the garden on and off for a while, in amongst the siskins, but that's the first time I've actually seen it feeding.

Sitting quite happily at the nyger seeds in the rain ha ha.

All the snow at the weekend seems to have brought the birds back to my garden, think the spring onslaught may be about to kick in !!

Had a pair of Gold finches on ground this morning along with a pair of tree sparrows, Yellow Hammers,Only 1 Male Chaffinch , Blackbird, Magpie,No Robins today yet...Great Tit and Blue on Feeders

Finally

Finally the Robins appeared i was getting worried LOL.:-O We have a pair of Dunnocks and a pair of Long Tailed Tits to add, The list grows daily:t::t:

Had a brambling at the feeders this morning at 7am. Been around the garden on and off for a while, in amongst the siskins, but that's the first time I've actually seen it feeding.

All the snow at the weekend seems to have brought the birds back to my garden, think the spring onslaught may be about to kick in !!

Welcome to the thread. Same here over the weekend - Siskins, Lesser Redpolls and Bramblings all returned to the garden.

Welcome to the thread. Same here over the weekend - Siskins, Lesser Redpolls and Bramblings all returned to the garden.

No redpolls yet, but going to look at plants that attract birds as well as just feeders, hoping for a rewarding year

Also want a woodpecker to put in an appearance, little surprised there hasn't been one in the garden yet, as I know they're around.

Liking the sound of this, birds that do your gardening for you 3:)

One solitary siskin at the feeders this morning by the time I left for work, the birds have more sense than to go out in this rain !

Last edited:
early morning and 16 goldfinch at the feeders,very misty here,let's hope it brightens up,doubt it though,noticed the influx of blue and great tits around last few days,spring must be here soon!

We're getting quite a few pairs at a time now, blue, great and coal, think you may be right about spring. To be fair, it's about time !!!

Nope, not at all, we missed out on those beauties. :( The closest species are in Indonesia. I find it quite interesting actually, I have sometimes wondered whether the wood of our eucalypt trees isn't suitable for them to hammer or drill (I'm not sure what term is used) into. I have thought though that I'm sure that our large parrot species would benefit from the hollows created by some of the larger woodpecker species.

If I remember right, eucalyptus trees don't have bugs on them. So maybe that's why there are no woodpeckers.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Had a pair of Gold finches on ground this morning along with a pair of tree sparrows, Yellow Hammers,Only 1 Male Chaffinch , Blackbird, Magpie,No Robins today yet...Great Tit and Blue on Feeders

WOW, treesparrows, how lucky are you, I hav'nt seen one of those little beauties for about 17yrs, nice to know they are still around in small populations, lets hope they start recovering and spread their tiny wings far and wide.

our Blackcap locked bills with a Great Tit this morning who had the nerve to try and eat off the same suet block.

We now have a brilliantly vivid red male Bullfinch who tends to sit in the tree for ages and ignore the feeders. He is going to be tricky to photo.

Four Goldfinch, 3x Blue Tits 2x Great tits, Blackcap,4x Robins, 3x Blackbirds, 4x Woodpigeons 4x collared Doves a sprinkling of Dunocks and House Sparrows but no Partridge in a pear tree :-Oyet lol

Welcome to the thread.

CB

New visitor

Had a new Visitor at the feeders today a Starling, So far my Work feeder list is as follows:
Tree Sparrows 4
Robins 2
Dunnocks 2
Gold Finchs 3
Blue Tits 4
Great Tits 4
Wood pigeons 2
Chaffinch
Yellowhammers 2
Long tailed Tits 2
Magpie
Blackbird