• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hawke ED X Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

Hi

It's my 1st post here so HELLO EVERYONE :)

I'm going to buy new roof 8x32 and I'm thinking about Conquest HD or Victory FL. Except of optics, small size and light weight is very important to me. I can buy Conquest HD for 950$ (710E / 610Ł) and Victory FL for 1550$ (1160E / 990Ł). Victory in this price is Simon King edition I believe. I have no possibility to compare both and I wonder if Victory is worth extra money...
I currently use Opticron SR.GA 8x32 and Nikon EII 8x30 - optics of both actually satisfy me but iI need something smaller and don't want to worry about destroying my bins in the field. Hope you can help.

Hi

It's my 1st post here so HELLO EVERYONE :)

I'm going to buy new roof 8x32 and I'm thinking about Conquest HD or Victory FL. Except of optics, small size and light weight is very important to me. I can buy Conquest HD for 950$ (710E / 610Ł) and Victory FL for 1550$ (1160E / 990Ł). Victory in this price is Simon King edition I believe. I have no possibility to compare both and I wonder if Victory is worth extra money...
I currently use Opticron SR.GA 8x32 and Nikon EII 8x30 - optics of both actually satisfy me but iI need something smaller and don't want to worry about destroying my bins in the field. Hope you can help.

Hey Andrew

I own an 8x32 FL and have tried the Conquest HD. The FL is definitely better to my eyes, its sharper and brighter to me. But its close and if you were not comparing them side by side you would say the Conq is excellent and it is. The one area the FL definitely beats it on is in the control of colour fringing. This is the sort of halo you sometimes see when viewing a dark object against a pale background. This effect is actually there all the time and it can really annoy some people. I can see this through the Conq but only when looking for it. The FL has it really well controlled.

But these two beauties really need looking through before you decide which is right for you. The FL is a step up from the Conq but the Conquest may be just right for you. Try them.

Good luck.

Lee

Hi Andrew. I agree with Lee. I tested a pair of 8x32 Victory FLs alongside a pair of 8x32 Conquests. I found the FLs to be slightly better, but not by much. The Conquests are excellent value for money. I was drawn to the FLs by the lighter weight, which was a key issue for me. I managed to get a second hand pair of FLs, only a few months old in mint condition for only a £150 more than a new pair of Conquests - so I have been very pleased with my purchase.

However, comparing these bins at retail price in the shops, I'd be tempted by the Conquests and use the money saved for something else!

Good luck with your decision.

Thx for replies.
I have another question: What is the Conquest's height with eyecups twisted up and down? I believe 132mm is a full height with eyecups twisted up. Am I right?
Victory is 117mm down and 129mm up (full height).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back