• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clear glass protector 'lenses' on Dialyts (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Calling all Zeiss-guys

Does anyone know when the above protectors were fitted to the old Dialyts? Leif had an 8x30 with them and it sounds like they converted to Dialyts to fully internal focusing from just semi-internal with the moving objectives.

Gary? James? Anyone?

Lee

Nope, never heard of them being fitted to an 8x30 Dialyt.

The Conquests and Diafuns had them but not Dialyts as far as I know.

Gary.

Thanks, I guess I remembered wrongly then, sorry Lee. Presumably they were only water resistant and not water proof?

Thanks, I guess I remembered wrongly then, sorry Lee. Presumably they were only water resistant and not water proof?

Yes, water resistant. I had mine for 18 years and they spent many hours in Hebridean downpours and never sprung a leak or misted up. They gave me some great views over the years but I musn't be too rosy spectacled: FLs and HTs are far far better. For nostalgia's sake though it would be nice to have a pair on the shelf.

Lee

The 7x42 Dialyt is tested to be waterproof.

The comfortable easy view render them quite competitive with the FLs.

Should note that one of the HT commercials has a hunter using the HTs but a female companion using the 7x42 Dialyt. Can't judge who got the most usable glasses.

The 7x42 Dialyt is tested to be waterproof.

The comfortable easy view render them quite competitive with the FLs.

Should note that one of the HT commercials has a hunter using the HTs but a female companion using the 7x42 Dialyt. Can't judge who got the most usable glasses.
Yep seem to recall later versions of 7x42 Dialyts did come with some sort of water resistance/proof guarantee. Guess Zeiss eventually thought it worthwhile to put them through an ISO test or whatever to get appropriate certification. The 8x30s were discontinued earlier than 7x42s weren't they?

I think the only Dialyt that was ever completely waterproof was the 6x42 B individual focus model. That one was described in a 1992 brochure as waterproof "in accordance with DIN 58 390-80, degree of severity 10", same as the 7x50 B/GAT* Porro. Possibly the 8x30 IF Safari was also completely waterproof, but I can find no mention of it. The one Dialyt that is still in production (8x56 B/GAT*) is described in the technical data from the link below on Zeiss' German website as only "sealed against spray water".

http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/hunting/en_de/binoculars/special/dialyt.html#inpagetabs-2

The 7x42 was never completely waterproof - as in a modern nitrogen filled roof prism with internal focussing.

It is, and always was, listed as showerproof but will not survive if immersed in water.

The sealing was very good on this binocular but at the end of the day it is CF with external moving focus parts so can never be completely "waterproof"

Hi Henry,

It did throw me a bit when I pressed send and your reply popped up first !!!!!!!

Yup, the 6x42 was based on the same chassis as the 7x42 but was IF as opposed to CF and therefore could be made "waterproof". It was designed as a marine binocular.

Here is mine:

Attachments

• 6x42.jpg
    6x42.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 69
When they survived after being dunked in water for hours and then immediately subjected to freezing temperatures, they are "waterproof" enough for normal applications. Of course, I will try not to leave them in the rain overnight like my EDFs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back