Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 28th September 2017, 15:51   #276
birderbryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Stamp View Post
I found this yellowy broad leaved helleborine in a dark beech woodland among 60 normal green blh's. It was more yellow in the field, the photo doesn't quite bring out the colour. Sadly the flower head just went brown and withered away. Is this just an aberrant example?
Hi Gareth, Not sure about the light colour, but it certainly to me looks like the plant is suffering with what I call "bract compression". Please click on my blog and then go to the bottom and you will see photos of examples within E. Helleborine and similarities with E. Atrorubens of bract compression.

https://epipactisatrorubens.blogspot...epipactis.html
Old Thursday 28th September 2017, 16:02   #277
birderbryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muba View Post
Dark Red Helleborines are usually Morello cherry flavoured, so it was nice to find this rhubarb and custard variation on Great Orme. Shame that last week's heatwave spoiled it a bit.
This is a really interesting plant Steve and to me it definately shows what I call the "Lemon Petalled qualities or Lempet for short". I am especially interested to find that it is on the Gt. Orme and not a totally "Cumbrian Feature". From others I am led to believe the Lempet situation does not apply within Bishop Middleham and also not yet been found on Ingleborough although it does exist within Hutton Roof and also other areas closeby to HR. Well done for finding this and for featuring it on here. Thanks. Bryan
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: