Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 15th October 2017, 17:13   #1476
Mike Montier

The only news I have today is of a group of 32 Booted eagles leaving Mallorca at the Cap de Ses Salines, heading towards Cabrera. Seen by Juanjo. I am still in the UK, Leighton Moss tomorrow which will be a trip down memory lane. Mike
Old Sunday 15th October 2017, 20:32   #1477
Pancho44

Didn't see any more vultures for the rest of the week. Red Kite, Peregrine and some Booted Eagles around Andratx and Port Andratx. Enjoyed watching the Eleonora's Falcons on Sa Dragonera - very impressive.

From Dragonera we saw a group of about 10 large, slow-flapping birds land on an islet off St Elm. Looked rather more like dark herons than raptors, but were about 1 km away and we only had binocs! Any suggestions, anyone?
Old Sunday 15th October 2017, 20:39   #1478
Mike Montier

Hi Pancho44, I have seen quite a few groups of both grey and purple herons on the move from the Cap this year. It’s quite normal at this time of the year so maybe they were herons? Mike
Old Yesterday, 13:11   #1479
Herona

Thanks for your replies and recommendations, guys. Yes, I am taking my camera and the longest lens I have or have recently bought just for the event 400mm. It basically replaces spy glasses as well.

I also ordered a birder's guide to Mallorca and a map, both of which arrived this weekend. I can only recommend them. Very well made - with love! So, at least I should be able to name what I see or capture with my lens.
Sa Dragonera is definitely on my list of visits next week, and I hope to see/take pictures of some of the larger birds there.

One more question: If the parks only open at 9am and close at 5pm, won't it be rather late/too early to see the majority of the birds come and feed/drink?
Old Yesterday, 14:14   #1480
Pancho44

Mike,

I've looked at some video of Purple Herons flying and I'm sure that's what they were. Mainly, possibly all, juveniles.

Hope you're enjoying the warm UK October!
Old Yesterday, 14:38   #1481
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herona View Post
I also ordered a birder's guide to Mallorca and a map, both of which arrived this weekend. I can only recommend them. Very well made - with love! So, at least I should be able to name what I see or capture with my lens.
Sa Dragonera is definitely on my list of visits next week, and I hope to see/take pictures of some of the larger birds there.

One more question: If the parks only open at 9am and close at 5pm, won't it be rather late/too early to see the majority of the birds come and feed/drink?
Hi Herona, yes the park is open only this time, but if you are inside quitely watching from the hides, you can remain, specially if you have get the permit pass at office center.

I will recommend you Mortitx fields, in front of the tennis court and down path at the vinyegards and even quite longer until the small water reservoir, at this time of year it is good place for big raptors, small migrants, rock sparrow (at the reservois area) and the bonelli's eagle also. Dont forget also s'Albufereta, Maristany and the backyards of Port de Pollença, including Can Cullerassa.

I guess you got our guide and birding map, so thank you for your nice words.
Old Today, 14:07   #1482
Herona

Hello Josep,

my pleasure. Nice to meet you/one of the authors. :) Yes, this book is very lovely. I wish I could get at least one picture as great as any of the ones in the book. What is also ever so helpful, is the fact that it separates spring/summer and autumn/winter birds. It should be better known that this book is still in print and at 3rd edition and up to date.

Thanks for the additional tips, too. Mortitx is a bit far from Alcudia given what little time I have, but I will definitely pay Maristany a visit and consider Port de Pollenca on the way to Cap Formentor.
Old Today, 14:53   #1483
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

La Gola updated birdlist

Hello!
here you have last birdlist of la Gola
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-l...llistat-d-aus/
and the birds seen this morning in the park (attached image )
In addition there's a possible Siberian Chiffchaff (not confirmed yet)

Regards,
Cristina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171017_110204 (1).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	643392  
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença

Last edited by LaGola : Today at 15:09.
Old Today, 20:21   #1484
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

A few shots of crossbills at son real 14 sept.
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832 (733x1024).jpg
Views:	0
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	643413  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859 (1024x732) (2).jpg
Views:	0
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	643414  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0866 (1024x732) (2).jpg