• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Thrush Incubating (1 Viewer)

Marolade

I saw a couple of brown birds with a white breast and brown spots on their breast. For weeks I had been trying to figure out what species they are. Yesterday, I saw a nest on the grape vine, and the same birds around it. After the birds left, I was able to climb up there and reach into the vine to take a photo. There were two eggs in there, blue with brown specs. Finally! I was able to identify them as Song Thrushes!

I really want to watch the progress of the eggs, it hatching and the baby birds growing. I was hoping to go up there everyday and just take a few snaps on my camera. But someone told me that some birds, if their mother sees that you're too interested in her eggs, she'll eat them in order to protect them?

My question is, are Song Thrushes one of these birds that will eat their eggs if I get too close?

Thanks in advance for any response!

Attachments

• Song Thrush Eggs.JPG
    Song Thrush Eggs.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 36
Hi, not sure about eating the eggs, but she might abandon or the eggs may get chilled if your at the nest, and the chicks might lose time they should be fed. In some places it's illegal to disturb active nests. Just watch the progress from afar,let them be :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back