• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuban ID's 4 (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

My Dad has just got back from a weeks charity trek in Cuba and whilst he was there he took several photos of birds he saw. I need help with some of the ID's.

These are the last 5 shots and as you can tell aren't the best quality, hence i'm not expecting ID's for all of them!

IMG_0788.JPGIMG_0812.JPGIMG_0923.JPGIMG_0944.JPGIMG_1089.JPG

Cheers Jonny

2 Loggerhead Kingbird, 3 Redlegged Thrush, 4 Bananaquit

1 is flycatcher, probably a Myiarchus sp, 5 a warbler but not sure which

Niels

Interesting example of seeing what you (in this case me) expects: the bill even looked downcurved and very bq-like until I zoomed in a lot. I did not expect a warbler hopping around on a table, bq does that all the time.

Looking in the book when I came home, I am not sure of the flycatcher but it could be a Great Crested on a winter visit?

Niels

Agree with Cuban Pewee for #1, and Palm Warbler for #5.

If that truly is a warbler in #4, it is exhibiting the oddest behaviour I've ever seen in the species! And that "handkerchief" in the wing is enormous, even for an AHY (oldish) male B-t Blue.

But I just came back from Tobago (which is positively infested with Banaquits), and they sure don't look like that ... what does a brand-new fledged Banaquit look like?

Peter C.

Last edited:
So we have Cuban Peewee, Loggerhead Kingbird, Redlegged Thrush and Palm Warbler. My first reaction to 4 was also BTBW although as you say the picture isn't great, he did take another (worse) shot of this bird, will post it tomorrow incase it can provide anything extra to the ID

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back