• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (27 Viewers)

Salthouse Village on Christmass Day- and then west

As I got close to Gramboro’ Hill,
Sundry geese in the air they did mill.
Half a dozen flew east and went in the sun,
But def’nitely white was just one.

A strange call it then did emit:
Honk it was not, but more like a tit !
This sound I’d remember,
From t’end of December,
A lot ? Well, perhaps just a bit.

I got out my Lumix, in case
That a snap I could take of its face.
But, with much hocus-pocus,
I just couldn’t get focus,
By which time they were all lost in space.

This goose that was almost all white
Had flown by at a reas’nable height.
It could have been Ross’s
(One more of my losses),
A hybrid, a Snow ? Now it’s night.

The Blue Tit had returned. A Song Thrush remained from yesterday- and there was that goose.

A promised visit to Titchwell, to see the new hides, was undertaken in beautiful, if cold conditions. Every 5 miles west, it seemed, the thermometer went down another degree.

As I got out of the car, a whitish Redpoll sp flew over. Lost. 2 Woodcocks were near the feeders at the back of the Visitor Centre. A Whooper Swan was imitating (no ! even I wouldn’t say emu-lating) a flamingo out on the ice which had been the freshmarsh.

A Peregrine flew over- with, interestingly, less dramatic effect than they have at Cley.

A small flock of Siskins was a nice end to the visit- just west of the feeders- with a Redpoll heard and the Woodcocks seen again.

The hides (replacing Parrinder) are smart, with great, new views. Irritatingly, someone had already broken the windy-window mechanism in the northern hide (at the east end), with the effect that the freezing wind was whistling in. I hope to see several good birds from here in the future.

Attachments

• 007psesm.jpg
    007psesm.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 026psesm.jpg
    026psesm.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 051psesm.jpg
    051psesm.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 198
Walk at Titchwell RSPB this afternoon produced 4 Siskins on the Alder tree near centre, 3 Marsh Harriers, Pintail and 14 Whooper Swans that went right over my head, after I had put the camera away!!!!!

Video of the new Parrinder Hide on my blog tomorrow.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
I visited my sister in Haddiscoe this morning and discovered that an hour earlier there had been 40 Waxwings in the garden. Unfortunately, they didn't come back while I was there. :-C

Ron

As I got close to Gramboro’ Hill,
Sundry geese in the air they did mill.
Half a dozen flew east and went in the sun,
But def’nitely white was just one.

A strange call it then did emit:
Honk it was not, but more like a tit !
This sound I’d remember,
From t’end of December,
A lot ? Well, perhaps just a bit.

I got out my Lumix, in case
That a snap I could take of its face.
But, with much hocus-pocus,
I just couldn’t get focus,
By which time they were all lost in space.

This goose that was almost all white
Had flown by at a reas’nable height.
It could have been Ross’s
(One more of my losses),
A hybrid, a Snow ? Now it’s night.

The Blue Tit had returned. A Song Thrush remained from yesterday- and there was that goose.

A promised visit to Titchwell, to see the new hides, was undertaken in beautiful, if cold conditions. Every 5 miles west, it seemed, the thermometer went down another degree.

As I got out of the car, a whitish Redpoll sp flew over. Lost. 2 Woodcocks were near the feeders at the back of the Visitor Centre. A Whooper Swan was imitating (no ! even I wouldn’t say emu-lating) a flamingo out on the ice which had been the freshmarsh.

A Peregrine flew over- with, interestingly, less dramatic effect than they have at Cley.

A small flock of Siskins was a nice end to the visit- just west of the feeders- with a Redpoll heard and the Woodcocks seen again.

The hides (replacing Parrinder) are smart, with great, new views. Irritatingly, someone had already broken the windy-window mechanism in the northern hide (at the east end), with the effect that the freezing wind was whistling in. I hope to see several good birds from here in the future.

BRILLIANT POEM John!!!!!!!!!!:t::t::t:

Hi

I'm thinking of coming over to Norfolk tomorrow, has anyone got any recent news on the Northern Harrier. It is still at Titchwell in the mornings before moving East to the Burnham Overy area? Where's the best place to look?

Many thanks

Goosey, goosey-ander . . .

The original first two lines of this has always struck me as possessed of a most tortuous rhyme; in fact, even more so than some of mine. Yes, honest !

So (what a non sequitur ! ), arriving at Abraham’s Bosom, I was unprepared for the subject of the LH photo flying around. That’s a large Smoo, I thought to myself, until the brain kicked in and I recognised a red-head Goosander.

The 2 Smew were in situ, too; but the three sawbills didn’t flock.

6 Woodcocks flushed was certainly a recent record for me.

More Bullfinches were present; but I didn’t see the 15 that James McC had had. However, I did hear an unseen toy-trumpeter in The Dell, on my way back.

Attachments

• 004psesm.jpg
    004psesm.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 010psesm.jpg
    010psesm.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 172
A quick trot down the path to the river at Buckenham produced a Peregrine on a fench post and a water pipit over, while Strumpshaw in the fading light managed a fox on the ice from the reception hide, marshie overhead and a water rail from fen hide. Reports on the board of three bitterns from fen hide along with 20+ waxwings earlier.

Reports on the board of three bitterns from fen hide along with 20+ waxwings earlier.
Indeed there were. The first photo shows two of them and they were then joined by the third which strutted across the ice to join them. Unfortunately I didn't quite manage to get all three in the frame at the same time.

I was pleased to get a shot of this fine male Brambling which briefly visited the feeders. I didn't hear anything about the Waxwings though.

Ron

Attachments

• First-two.jpg
    First-two.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Third-bittern.jpg
    Third-bittern.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Brambling-1.jpg
    Brambling-1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 149
Nice shots Ron. I believe there have recently been 3 Bitterns showing in the Filby Bridge area too. I bet the thaw can't come quick enough for them...

James

Any sightings of Hawfinches at Linford yet ? please.

Many thanks Nigel

Hi Nigel! Simeon and I had one on 24th, a little before 9am, so you might strike lucky. We also had a possible Firecrest (heard only) at the top of the carpark where it meets the field where the Hawfinches usually are. There was a big flock of Siskin (c.100) but it was very mobile so we didn't have a chance to check for Redpoll etc. Hope you see the Hawfinches!

Norfolk Birding

Hi everyone

am new to the Forum but just a bit of info about Norfolk. I stay at a cottage called Mount Tabor in Stiffkey very cosy and close to Titchwell and Cley. Stiffkey has its own fen, salt marsh and freshmarsh. Some fantatsic birds can be seen here. In the witnter there is a harrier roost at Warham Greens 1 mile away which attracts good numbers of both Hen and Marsh Harriers, its great for winter migrants, passerines et al. It has a great village pub the red lion but is close to the three horseshoes at warham pies to die for and some great victorian cases of birds. It is also close to the Crown at Wells with its own celebrity chef Morston Hall again ceelbrity Chef. Its close to a heath with dartford warblers, nightjars, woodlark and nightingale it really is heaven. I also use a bird guide called Carl Chapman Norfolk wildlife tours and education. He is exceptionally good and relatively inexpensive. Norfolk has got to be the birdwatching mecca of the UK. Easy to reach 130 ticks in a few days.

Regards

J

Ross's Geese / Goose

There were 4 reports of Ross's today. I saw one briefly at holkham around lunchtime which I assume then moved to burnham overy marsh. When seen in flight it appeared to have quite a few dark feathers in the secondaries, hence it didn't look clear cut white winged with balck primaries, Is this the same bird seen in the cley area and at Snettisham ?

What's the situation with fog up in N Norfolk today? I am planning a trip up tomorrow for the Northern Harrier and LWFG - but postponement makes sense if the visibility is as poor as the Met Office website suggests. Anyone out and about - and able to see anything?

cheers, James

What's the situation with fog up in N Norfolk today? I am planning a trip up tomorrow for the Northern Harrier and LWFG - but postponement makes sense if the visibility is as poor as the Met Office website suggests. Anyone out and about - and able to see anything?

cheers, James

I still have severe fog still and i live 20mins drive from the LWFG. Not bad enough to miss the blackcap in the garden on the nuts today though

Hello James,

Up here in the NE of the county the visibility is very poor; we're talking about a few hundred metres at best. I can't speak for the Cantley area but would certainly not entertain a trip there today myself...

James

Visibility very poor in west Norfolk too, though my brother is on the coast at Holme (near Thornham) and says it's cleared up - to what extent I don't know, but around King's Lynn visibility hasn't really increased at all.

thanks all - on balance, makes sense to postpone till early jan. couldn't hack leering through the fog for what might be a harrier, elt alone trying to discern the number of underprimary bars...

Knot a lot

The almost mild temperature was welcome, after what seems like the last few months of Arctic weather. Most of the ice on the surface of the pools had melted. However, the cold was replaced by fog. This was disorienting, as I could hear Pink-feet flying over, but not see them. With the timely pager message, possibly the Ross’s had flown east again. I was not to know.

I did see 7 Knot fly east, of which 3 pitched down on the brackish pool by Gramboro’. The Hill had 2 Blue Tits, which then flew across the field towards Meadow Lane. Perhaps this is their usual haunt and explains the frequent absence.

Some idiot had attempted to drive north from the beach car park. If they kept going, they might be lucky and hit Shetland; if not, then they’d pass between Greenland and Spitsbergen, on their way to the Arctic wastes. The waster !

Attachments

• 007pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    007pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 016psesm.jpg
    016psesm.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back