• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viewfinder - Canon 40D (1 Viewer)

Ross Ahmed

Hi all,

Some advice needed!

I cannon seem to get a sharp image when looking through the viewfinder on my Canon 40D.

I have tried turning the dioptic adjustment wheel, but this hasn't worked. Anu suggestions anybody?

Cheers.

To set the dioptre adjustment try pointing the camera at a plain subject, like clear blue sky, and then adjust the dioptre until the focus point squares look sharp. That means you are then able to focus your eyes accurately onto the focus screen itself. If you then point the camera at a proper subject/scene and that looks blurry then that is down to the focus of the lens.

I'm 45 years old and don't yet wear glasses, but my short vision is a struggle and I could sometimes do with longer arms. For me I have the dioptre adjustment just one click anti-clockwise from the centre position on both my 30D and 40D.

Try one or other of these two methods:

Manually set your lens to infinity and look through the viewfinder at a distant object. If the object does not appear in focus rotate the dioptre adjustment a few clicks one way or the other, remembering how many clicks you have made should you need to reset it. This should bring the object into sharp focus.

The alternative method is to rotate the dioptre adjustment whilst looking at the shutter speed and aperture readout at the bottom of the viewfinder until it looks sharp. You should now be able to focus correctly through the lens.

Hope either of these methods is some help to you.

I have the same problem, when I center my diopter wheel, viewfinder is blurry. Then I adjust it to the left, it gets even more blurry, when I maxxed it out to the right, then everything is in focus. I have 20/20 vision, is there something wrong with my diopter wheel? BTW, I have a canon eos 400d.

Is there a way to reset the diopter wheel so that everything will be focused when it is centered?

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back