• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (6 Viewers)

Late yesterday evening a male merlin at balaggan point. This morning a huge arrival of assorted gulls working the breaking waves including 200 kittiwakes, mainly adult, haven't seen them here since the autumn, also hundreds of whimbrel, a few white wagtails and a common sandpiper. The male peregrine was again hunting the shoreline...

quiet today except for two male whitethroats along the lane and a chiffchaff...
I think that's most of the summer migrants back now (or at least reported back), apart from arctic and little tern (latter arrived at Kilcoole yesterday so they are probably at Baltray by now), common swift (which should be here in next few days) and hopefully corncrake (was there already a report of one at Clogherhead?).

There was a corncrake heard at clogherhead, probably passing through...I had a sedge warbler along the shore and a blackcap singing at the locra this evening.

I think that's most of the summer migrants back now (or at least reported back), apart from arctic and little tern (latter arrived at Kilcoole yesterday so they are probably at Baltray by now), common swift (which should be here in next few days) and hopefully corncrake (was there already a report of one at Clogherhead?).

Yes, the Little Terns are back at Baltray, since last week. The 2010 Little Tern Conservation Project will get into swing next week-end when the fence will go up on Saturday, starting at 10am. All help welcome.

Some birds photographed in long grass between Son Ferrer and El Toro (whilst on an extended stranded holiday)............ I think first is a Pheasant and then perhaps Red legged Partridge birds.

Attachments

• Mallorca 2010 164-1.jpg
    Mallorca 2010 164-1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Mallorca 2010 165.jpg
    Mallorca 2010 165.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Mallorca 2010 179.jpg
    Mallorca 2010 179.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Mallorca 2010 180.jpg
    Mallorca 2010 180.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Mallorca 2010 178.jpg
    Mallorca 2010 178.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 54
Sedge warbler and whitethroat (I think!) photos from this morning - also had a grasshoper warbler - while I could hear it I'll be damned if I could see it!

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 64

I think I saw lots of common Swift on wednesday past flying around Daisyhill over the old Doctors quarters and House Martins as well. I could see the different end tails on two sorts of birds so hence my belief......The House Martins were circling and landing briefly on the flat rooftop drinking lying water as I was looking out window on break. I wanted to note the first date I saw them here but tuesday morn early after returning Mallorca these birds had already arrived. Of course I had no binoculars but I could see loads of Pied Wagtails on flat rooftop this evening but still think I saw House Martins landing briefly the other day. Is it possible House Martins would briefly land for water on high roofs or had they all to be Pied Wagtails.
I saw beautiful small black Swallows with all rusty red the whole way down chest stomach etc. on motorway near Palma such gorgeous birds, they moved so fast I had not a hope of getting a photo.

Yep common Swifts filtering over my house today coming up from hospital direction of course and possibly Sand Martins as small as such fluttering but could be all House Martins not certain. I am not sure if any Swallows about yet (this is harder work than quite expected).
I whilst indoors with radio on today had to turn it off (as sound above it) and go out and listen to one think type of large Warbler as had long fairly thick straight beak giving an EXPLOSIVE beautiful musical rapture of singing for ages and ages on top of a house ariel near here. It brought the world around here to a standstill simply. I hope he comes again, also had that sort of thick neck, flat head that some Warblers have. What unusual I thought is it would actually turn around and face another direction making sure no-one missed its concert.

Last edited:
Three swifts screaming around carlingford yesterday evening.

Also flushed dozens of snipe in at dusk below the windy gap - no sign of woodcock.

I now have two beautiful Coal Tits (all grey backs) often in my garden mostly feeding in the Ash tree but occasionally seeds. I have seen them in the same conifer trees in the woods that the Redpolls are also often hopping back and forth in. Dunnocks, Blue Tits, (one Willow Warbler or Chiffchaff here again) starting to return but all my Redpolls never left as they must just leave their young daily and feed away as usual or else they are running a creche.........A few Reed Buntings but many Sparrows back now too and heaps of nice Greenfinches. Quite a lot of different sounds early in morning and late evenings too ................... not sure what as yet.

I came out of work yesterday to two gorgeous Swallows just few feet over my head (think Barn as plenty of pink on their chests) near their nests in the old hospital building. I also watched through a window on my break dozens of them giving truly amazing low acrobatic displays down over the rooftops and also taking sips in flight from water lying on the roofs too. I have seen some common Swift as well gliding near these Swallows in the evenings especially. Quite a lot of beautiful Song Thrushes in the hospital grounds as well as in the small parks about here and often flying with worms in their beaks to their nests and young obviously. I think the Redwings are all gone. I saw the largest bird of prey I have ever seen not far from my house the other day just soaring straight downwards after prey probably and then disappeared out of sight with rooftops. No idea what but very large.

I am just after seeing the tiniest little black and white new young bird I have ever seen in the bird house while just filling up feeders. I saw one of the Coal Tit birds in my garden minute later so think it a new young Coat Tit or else a young Long Tailed Tit but guessing both their young might be similar and I know juveniles so tiny.

The Ramparts along the brewery on the Ardee Road has been dredged in the last week. JCB has deepened and widened the channel. Totally cleared the vegetation in and along the river as well as overhanging branches. They seem to be heading to Balmers bog next - I saw a JCB in the field tonight. Right in the middle of the breeding season too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back