• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope ED50 - Good first scope? (1 Viewer)

That said, there is one circumstance in which I wouldn't recommend getting a ~60 mm scope. If you _know_ you will be getting another scope in the future, I might choose the 50 ED and then make the second scope a ~80 mm model. That's a nice combo.

+1 with what Alexis said.

Also, re. what Boomer said - it is correct that there are lots of variances in the reported optical performance of Pentax scopes. However, I suspect that a lot of this has to do with the eyepiece, rather than the objective/scope itself. Those that test it with the standard EP find it less than impressive, while those that try widefield EPs usually end up raving about it.

By the sound of it, Kristoffer, you have settled on the 50ED. Excellent choice - and consider Alexis's recommendation of adding a 82ED Fieldscope at some later point. You should never need to upgrade that setup.

Vandit

This is the puppy you are looking for:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/132465-REG/Nikon_7464_MC_Series_Wide_Angle.html

You can read up on Nikon's eyepieces here:
http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/mc/index.htm

You are looking for #5 - the wide MC 26x/40x/50x eyepiece. You will note that there is a difference in specs between what is listed on B&H and what is listed on Nikon's site. I am not sure why this is the case... I dont think B&H would still be carrying the older MC eyepieces. Perhaps someone in the US can call them and check, and post here for everyone else...?

Vandit

Thanks! i struggled to find it but there it is then i guess? :)
I emailed accuflite and they had it for $429, very nice price!

I concur w/Vkalia's analysis. I have a full range of scopes, and I love the Nikon 50 ED with 27x eyepiece, but if I were to own only one scope, it would be a 60 or 65 ED. The beauty of the 50ED is that it has superb optical quality in a lightweight package. The downsides of the 50ED is that it is not as rugged as the 60 mm Fieldscope and other comparable scopes, and it isn't as bright in low light (or support as high powers in normal light) as the larger scopes. Note that the 50ED is lighter, but not much smaller than the 60ED.

That said, there is one circumstance in which I wouldn't recommend getting a ~60 mm scope. If you _know_ you will be getting another scope in the future, I might choose the 50 ED and then make the second scope a ~80 mm model. That's a nice combo.

--AP

Hi :) ve heard about it not being as rugged.. can it be compensated with some cover or protection? And is there any UV-lenses for front protection that doesnt reduce the image too much? Thanks for input. As i probably will get a bigger one when i get a car again the 50mm sounds a very good buy!

Hi Kristoffer,
I have the angled version of the ED50 and am very pleased with it. The ED50 is not a 'starter scope'...it is a lightweight scope with an exceptional view. I was originally interested in the Pentax (mentioned earlier), but I was a little bit concerned with the variations in the quality of views (different units...same models) that I kept reading about on different threads on BF (as well as other sources). I also purchased the ED50 knowing that eventually I would get the ED82 and could use the same eyepieces that I use for the ED50. The light weight of this scope was also a key issue for me, as I wanted to be able to use it for hiking and plane travel.

I have two eyepieces for the ED50:
1. FIELDSCOPE WIDE EYEPIECE MC
40X(60)/50X(78)
(the first number is the mag, the number in parentheses is the size of the objective used...40X for the 60mm, 50X for the 78mm). This is the way the eyepiece is marked (and marked on the box)...it works out to be 27X for the 50mm. Nikon said that it is the same eyepiece as the one listed as '27X/40X/50X WIDE MC'...just the box is different (prior to the 50mm & 82mm productions). This 27X eyepiece is excellent for most of the bird watching that I do. I even use it in the early mornings and late afternoons, and it is plenty bright...except right at dusk.

2. FIELDSCOPE EYEPIECE WIDE DS
16X(50)/24X(60)/30X(82)
As you can see, this is in the newer box (note that the '50' is listed, and the '82' is listed instead of the '78'). It is a digiscoping eyepiece, and the only difference between it and the non-digiscoping eyepiece is that the 'DS' version has a slightly bulkier housing (to allow easier attachment of camera adapter). Again, both eyepieces are optically the same...both fully MC...etc.

I have read numerous posts from people who were very pleased with the ED50 (including several from people who are now using the ED50 as their primary scope). I have read very few posts from people who have been disappointed with this remarkable scope. I would suggest that (if you do opt for the ED50) you try to get this scope with the wide MC 27X eyepiece (either DS or non-DS) as opposed to the zoom eyepieces. Most people seem to agree that the 27X is an excellent choice for most situations. As others have mentioned (on this thread as well as other threads), it does have a wider view, better eye relief, and is brighter than the zooms.

I hope that this info helps a little, rather than making your decision more difficult. Best Wishes. :t:

Ron Davidson

Thanks to you too. Everyones input is worth alot! The mc27x seems like a safe buy and my decisions are almost done at this stage. its just about picking a tripod and some way of protecting the tube now :)

+1 with what Alexis said.

Also, re. what Boomer said - it is correct that there are lots of variances in the reported optical performance of Pentax scopes. However, I suspect that a lot of this has to do with the eyepiece, rather than the objective/scope itself. Those that test it with the standard EP find it less than impressive, while those that try widefield EPs usually end up raving about it.

By the sound of it, Kristoffer, you have settled on the 50ED. Excellent choice - and consider Alexis's recommendation of adding a 82ED Fieldscope at some later point. You should never need to upgrade that setup.

Vandit

Hi, thanks for all help! That pentax or the other 60-66mms like kowa tsn-661 seem to be good choices aswell but yes, i have decided for the 50ED. Seems perfect now for mobility and later i can buy some 80mm for more power. :) Do you use any uv-lens on yours btw?

Do you use any uv-lens on yours btw?

No, I don't use any UV filters on mine. This subject has been debated on different threads on BF (as well as on other forums). After reading the 'pros & cons' of using/not using a protective filter on a scope, I opted not to use one. I wanted the best view that I could possibly get, and no matter how good a filter is, it still compromises the view. I take extra care when using scope. If I were going to use it at the coast, with a lot of salt spray and blowing sand, then I would consider using a filter.

The ED50 is actually more rugged than is sometimes perceived. It does have a plastic body (instead of metal), and the plastic is prone to scratches. Keep in mind that many excellent quality binoculars also have plastic housings, and they are handled more frequently, and often in more rugged conditions. Here in the USA, I was not able to find a good source for a stay-on case for this scope. It seems that Europe has better sources for a SOC. I used some scraps from an old flannel shirt, and from an old Nylon raincoat, and made my own SOC. Others have made their own, and some have simply wrapped the scope with a sturdy Nylon tape (electrical insulating tape) or other tapes to protect it from abrasions. The ED50 is reported to be waterproof in most weather, however in rainy conditions I do like the added protection that my home made SOC offers.
Best Wishes. :t:
Ron

Last edited:
No, I don't use any UV filters on mine. This subject has been debated on different threads on BF (as well as on other forums). After reading the 'pros & cons' of using/not using a protective filter on a scope, I opted not to use one. I wanted the best view that I could possibly get, and no matter how good a filter is, it still compromises the view. I take extra care when using scope. If I were going to use it at the coast, with a lot of salt spray and blowing sand, then I would consider using a filter.

The ED50 is actually more rugged than is sometimes perceived. It does have a plastic body (instead of metal), and the plastic is prone to scratches. Keep in mind that many excellent quality binoculars also have plastic housings, and they are handled more frequently, and often in more rugged conditions. Here in the USA, I was not able to find a good source for a stay-on case for this scope. It seems that Europe has better sources for a SOC. I used some scraps from an old flannel shirt, and from an old Nylon raincoat, and made my own SOC. Others have made their own, and some have simply wrapped the scope with a sturdy Nylon tape (electrical insulating tape) or other tapes to protect it from abrasions. The ED50 is reported to be waterproof in most weather, however in rainy conditions I do like the added protection that my home made SOC offers.
Best Wishes. :t:
Ron

ok, thx! then i know even more about this subject then before :) (so informative thread that it should almost be sticky in the ed50 section ;) )

There's a series of posts on this forum about a problem with the tripod socket assembly unravelling. It happened to quite a few people, including me. So while I'd back the praise for this scope's optical excellence, I'd say be gentle with it when attaching it to a tripod or quick release plate. It's a Chinese-made product, unlike the bigger fieldscopes, and build quality in this respect is not as good. However, I've heard no suggestion of other faults with this scope.

Sean

There's a series of posts on this forum about a problem with the tripod socket assembly unravelling. It happened to quite a few people, including me. So while I'd back the praise for this scope's optical excellence, I'd say be gentle with it when attaching it to a tripod or quick release plate. It's a Chinese-made product, unlike the bigger fieldscopes, and build quality in this respect is not as good. However, I've heard no suggestion of other faults with this scope.

Sean

ok, but if this happens it must go on the warrenty i guess?

Sean

Sean is right...there have been some issues with the threads in the tripod mount coming lose or unravelling. However, this is an easy fix. The threads are a Helicoil that has been glued into the body. The Helicoils are intentionally made of softer metal than the mounting bolts, so that the Helicoil will fail instead of the bolt. Helicoils are very inexpensive, and are common parts available at almost any hardware store and at virtually all auto parts supply stores. Some of the issues that people were having were the Helicoil threads being stripped due to overtightening. In at least one other instance, the Helicoil itself became detached due to the glue seal failing, again from overtightening...and again, an easy fix. When I mount my ED50 on a tripod, I take the above into consideration and make sure that I don't overtighten. I do take care, but I am not overly concerned. Best Wishes. :t:

Ron

Last edited:
Sean is right...there have been some issues with the threads in the tripod mount coming lose or unravelling. However, this is an easy fix. The threads are a Helicoil that has been glued into the body. The Helicoils are intentionally made of softer metal than the mounting bolts, so that the Helicoil will fail instead of the bolt. Helicoils are very inexpensive, and are common parts available at almost any hardware store and at virtually all auto parts supply stores. Some of the issues that people were having were the Helicoil threads being stripped due to overtightening. In at least one other instance, the Helicoil itself became detached due to the glue seal failing, again from overtightening...and again, an easy fix. When I mount my ED50 on a tipod, I take the above into consideration and make sure that I don't overtighten. I do take care, but I am not overly concerned. Best Wishes. :t:

Ron

Ok, sounds like a problem that can be dealt with.

Im trying to understand what tripod/head i should buy now and the number of alternatives are just staggering. Vkalia and my local stores give great help tho :)

just bought one of these with a 27X wide for travel / hols and carrying on my bike and it must be a damned good scope as the first bird I found with it was a Buff-breasted Sand -- now that's what I call a useful scope!

No

I was told today from a store that nikon has stopped producing the ED50. True?

No - It´s the newest scope in Nikon`s line-up.

But for some strange reason it is almost impossible to buy it in Scandinavia.

I called KayOptical in London and ordered mine with the 27X wide eye piece.

Fantastic scope. Lightweight and more contrasty than my Zeiss 85, which I have sold. Due to the weight it didn´t get much use anyway.

cheers

Tom

PS. If you decide on the 50ED, be sure to order one of the wide eye pieces.
20X or 27X. Price around 190 GBP.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back