• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drawings from Catherine Hamilton (1 Viewer)

Miraculous is the word! It's as if the birds are finding new life - pooling from the paper into more solid form. I imagine their spirit rising to life as your brush dips onto the pond and exchanges Chi with you.
That just about covers it. Wonderful work!

some stunning watercolour work here! Glad you've joined us on the art section, just catching up on all the threads.

Catherine, thank you so much for the details....I'm trying to learn watercolor and I'm going to try what I think I see there on some oystercatcher chicks...did you add white spots back in on that one...or somehow leave paper....I love how you use the spontaneous flows to make the form....Well just love your work in general actually.

Beautifully done! There's a delicate, ghostly and ephemeral feel to these which suits the subject matter perfectly.

Mike

@Colleen: on all of these, just the white of the paper (not quite exact to specimen, for the record, I got "lost" once or twice - the pitfalls of working loosely ;))

Thanks all, I was trying to get a little life into the poor fellows, while keeping them on the edge of ghostly.

thanks Catherine, when I get the oystercatcher chicks up you are going to see the best slavish imitation and craven copying I can muster;) I'm trying to learn to watercolor properly...and I'll have you know I only copy the very best.

Hehe - I wouldn't try to learn much from me - these are my first attempts at watercolor (this is the first year of color for me in a very very long time)! I don't have much experience with them, and am kind of making it up as I go along, so I guess I would encourage you to do the same! Or follow along the lines of the more experienced people on this forum! We can learn together...

The brushes are Winsor Newtown Series 7 travel brushes, which I bought eons ago, and would love to find again - does anyone know if they are still available?

Lovely, lovely watercolours, Catherine. If W&N Series 7 brushes help you to paint like that I hope you find them again! Never heard of the travel version (neither are they mentioned on the W&N website), but Series 7 brushes are certainly available. I like them too and get them from Jacksons Art Supplies - here's the link: http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk/images/fp_jacksonsuk.php

I field tested the series 7 and the comp kolinsky from Rosemary and Co, and hers won hands down and costs less by a good bit have a huge belly and a fine point, like the good kolinsky's had when they were all made in Europe....she ships from England at less than UPS charges...I've loved all her brushes...she may have a travel size

Thank you for the links! I'll look into them. The WN Series 7 travel brushes were these great little brushes that receded into a chamber and had a cap - really fine quality brushes that, when closed, are only about 11cm long. It's not hard to travel with full-sized brushes, of course, but these you could throw into a purse or bag with abandon. I think they discontinued them years ago.

Fantastic stuff!!! I love the black and white ones in your very first post (as well as the watercolors) You have such a delicate touch, I can't wait to see more!

didn't know it was called a notch, but I have noticed it, not good enough yet to focus on that level of detail...still working on the head and bill

desperately trying to catch up and get upto speed with all the wonderful images posted here since my last post,a belated welcome from me catherine.wonderful work here,i am particularly drawn to the black and white work,such lovely delicate pieces and looking forward to seeing more of your art

I'm not familiar enough with sanderlings to comment on the prominence of the 'notch' but I sure like the studies that point it out so well!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back