• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lens info ( hate to ask sorry) (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Hi all, I am shrek from wales now living in Thailand, now missing my old d70s and sigma 500.
Sorry to ask this as I suspect its been done a zillion times but I have been out of the loop for over 14 months now.
I am looking to buy a new/used nikon and good lens and their lies my questions.

1 what nikon body is a good buy right now? I don't need the best or newest just a decent one with image stabilty as I shake like a bartender making a cocktail.(old one was a d70s)

2 what lens is good for distance shots, ie behind me are some large ponds with herons and storks etc, i would like to get some good distance shots in. so a prime or the sigma 300 - 800 or what is your recommendation please?
Thanks,
Ash.

well it seems from the lack of advice I need to go it alone and after some reading i AM GOING TO TRY AND BUY A D90 OR D300 NIKON AND AN 80 TO 400 NIKON LENS OR A 300 PRIME.
Both I believe I can use a converter with if I require one. I am still debating a sigma 50-500 as weight does not worry me.

Ash.

Image stabilisation in Nikon is in the individual lenses, not the camera bodies. So if you really need image stabilisation you need to look for VR (Vibration Reduction) lenses if you're buying Nikon.

The old 80-400 has VR but is slow focussing. I have used a Kenko 1.4 converter with the 80-400 but the image quality was reduced to the extent that I decided I was better off just cropping the image.

The 300 f4 does not have VR but is much faster focussing and is very popular among users on here especially when combined with a Nikon 1.4 converter (which cannot be used with the old 80-400). The new 80-400 sounds good but costs more than £2k.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back