• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Test of Time (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

I enjoy my zeiss 8x56 dialyts
part of the reason is they have survive
40+ years (M/L) of production

which other binoculars have long production runs?

edj

Historically, I think the Zeiss Jena Deltrintem/Deltrentis 8X30 models set the record being in production from 1920 - 1990. Currently in production the only one that comes to mind is the Zeiss 7X50 B/GAT* which I think was introduced in 1972 although not T* which didn't occur until 1981. You can make a case that the Zeiss 8X56 Dialyt has been around a lot longer than 40 years, though, its progenitor the Hensoldt 8X56 Nacht Dialyt coming out in the early 1930's.

The Nikon Tropical 7X50 (if still in production) has also been around for quite awhile.

Last edited:
The Nikon SE's are newcomers, the 8X32 coming out in 1997/8. The Swarovski Porro I's go back a ways, but I don't know if the build of the ones being made today is really the same (coatings and external finish would obviously be different) as those that were made in the 1960's-70's such that they could be considered the same model. Good question.

There are some incredibly long-running Zeiss lines. It's harder to say with things like the Customs because
they have had more variations inside. I tend to follow 'families' of features, which pass though different makers
in Japan in the past. The Mirador legacy keeps re-appearing even now in all sizes. That goes back to some
clever Zeiss spy-binoc dabblings in the 30's, though.

The first 8.5x44 Swift Audubon was produced in 1957 and continued through 2000, a run of 43 years. If one includes the Model 820 Audubon, we can add another 14 years making it 57 years total. H. H. Swift considered the Model 220 to be a true Audubon.

Swift & Anderson was the sole importer of Hensoldt back in the 1930s, so it's not clear that Zeiss should get the credit.

Ed

Last edited:
The Test Of Time

There are some incredibly long-running Zeiss lines. It's harder to say with things like the Customs because
they have had more variations inside. I tend to follow 'families' of features, which pass though different makers
in Japan in the past. The Mirador legacy keeps re-appearing even now in all sizes. That goes back to some
clever Zeiss spy-binoc dabblings in the 30's, though.
I don,t have
Bino,s but I do have a mirador spotting scope which was bought me in march
1987 very light and easy to use 60mm lens with two viewing lens one of 25x
And thee other 47x I saw the power of optic,s for the first time through These
Never to forget and for the price of around £75/£80 English sterling with
Everything Included very good value for money by biggest Issue was the
Scope case which started to fall apart inside foam lined I could find no
Replacements for this case and noboby gave me positive feedback from
Shopsellers etc so I drew the conclusion from the attitudes given was
Get another scope that will have a new case, apart of what I call a
Wasteful Society and something "you would think as simple as a case"
Is definenately not the case.... pardon the pun.

Most people don't know what to do if there is a little dust or smudge
or the case isn't perfect. Then there are those who are really into the
optics, and many of them will want the latest and best. The 'middle'
has fallen out of many markets. I assume most of the Zeiss buyers
aren't really wealthy, they just are 'extreme' about what they are into.

Mirador went the usual route for a brand name..all different quality levels
through the years. Their nice innovative ideas and obsessions ended up in various
things like the Bushnell Customs, many Fujis, Binolux, and so on. They didn't survive
on their own very well, and the name could mean great or not so great.
Consistency in design and assembly is one thing that keeps Alphas like Zeiss at the top.
Nikon's unification of factories and design priorities has stood by them well.

I assume most of the Zeiss buyers
aren't really wealthy, they just are 'extreme' about what they are into.

I think the same goes for most hobbies. Most of the people I know here who spend a lot on the 'best' in optics, paragliding or cycling gear aren't comparatively well-off people, they're ordinary folk on low-to-middle incomes with unusual priorities, small homes and old cars, if any. Meanwhile the few very wealthy people I know would think it insane to drop a grand on binos or new bicycle wheels, but perfectly normal to buy a 50,000 euro car, and view the scenery with a pair of zoom praktikas or grandad's cracked and chipped racecourse binos. (Maybe that's why they're wealthy).

I think the same goes for most hobbies. Most of the people I know here who spend a lot on the 'best' in optics, paragliding or cycling gear aren't comparatively well-off people, they're ordinary folk on low-to-middle incomes with unusual priorities, small homes and old cars, if any. Meanwhile the few very wealthy people I know would think it insane to drop a grand on binos or new bicycle wheels, but perfectly normal to buy a 50,000 euro car, and view the scenery with a pair of zoom praktikas or grandad's cracked and chipped racecourse binos. (Maybe that's why they're wealthy).

Sancho:

I do think you have it right, there is a widely varied audience when it comes
to whatever hobby, whether it is sports optics or bicycles.

I have most of my interest in optics, but do have a nice Vintage Schwinn
ladies Breeze bicycle. I am only posting this as I do know you like bikes.

I bought this gem for only $2.00 at a local auction sale. This is only a representative photo of another one like it.

Jerry

Attachments

• Schwinn Breeze.jpg
    Schwinn Breeze.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 54
I am guessing this thread is about reliability also. I read some place, don't recall if was this forum or not that the Swaro 8x30 WB SLC is/was very durable.

Not sure which of the newer binos are really reliable, durable. I would like to know.

Extreme durability comes with independent-focus, shock-mounted marine binocs.
Most birders don't like the extra twiddling at near-range, though.

Sancho:

I do think you have it right, there is a widely varied audience when it comes
to whatever hobby, whether it is sports optics or bicycles.

I bought this gem for only $2.00 at a local auction sale. This is only a representative photo of another one like it.

Jerry

My sister had that exact same Schwinn when we were kids. I umm...wrecked it. Rode it straight into a parked car and bent the head tube something awful. One of my many bicycling mishaps.

Like many others here, my only real financial vice is birding optics. Good optics make birding even better.

And birding is a lot easier than riding my 1984 Ciocc. That's not mine, but it looks just like. My back doesn't like the riding position anymore. :-C

Mark

Attachments

• 4438959630_b6760fe6b1_b.jpg
    4438959630_b6760fe6b1_b.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 42
The Nikon SE's are newcomers, the 8X32 coming out in 1997/8. The Swarovski Porro I's go back a ways, but I don't know if the build of the ones being made today is really the same (coatings and external finish would obviously be different) as those that were made in the 1960's-70's such that they could be considered the same model. Good question.

First model came in 1948 as IF (now only as Military) and evaluated to CF nowadays, but in principle the same model!!

Jan

First model came in 1948 as IF (now only as Military) and evaluated to CF nowadays, but in principle the same model!!

Yep. And with modern coatings ... :) I've got a Habicht now, and I'll write about when I had more chance to use it in the field. So far I can only say the optics are unbelievably good.

Hermann

Jerry

Beautiful bike, Jerry! Curiously, that "cruiser"-type city bike, out of fashion here for the last 30 years, has made a serious comeback recently.

And birding is a lot easier than riding my 1984 Ciocc. That's not mine, but it looks just like. My back doesn't like the riding position anymore. :-C

Mark

Mark - get yourself tested on your racing bike by one of those outfits that "film" you on the bike in a studio, feed all the guff into a computer, and advise you about adjusting saddle, post, front stem, pedals etc. to suit your own physique. My brother had similar back problems when riding, but they disappeared with minor adjustments to the bike-bits. The study cost him about 150 euro, but worth it.

(I won´t post a photo of my main bike, it would appear ostentatious. I´ve just dropped a silly amount of money on new Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels. They make a loud, high-pitched "whistling" sound when you apply the brakes, as the rims are ridged - that alone makes them worth it!;))

Apologies for thread hijack.

Thanks Sancho, and yes big apologies for getting off track. Someone down the road at Penn State should be able to help, but mostly I fear the Ciocc has withstood "the test of time" better than I have.

I've ridden a few CF dreamcycles, but don't feel worthy to own one.

Talk about "ostentatious" just leave it to the Italians. That Ciocc has the word "Ciocc" in 13 different places, and it's not even pantographed. :-O

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back