• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ1000 Review... (1 Viewer)

A proper photo manager such as ACDSee allows you to see thumbnails also from photos on external harddrives, assign keywords and categories to them, etc.

Niels

Hi, following my previous post, I've uploaded a different frame grab of the Blackback gull from the same footage. This one is a lot sharper, I think that the previous jpeg had a resolution problem in converting to jpeg.
Still learning !

Attachments

• blackback1300.jpg
    blackback1300.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
A few more video grabs in praise of the FZ1000, apart from the RBM (duck), I would have had little chance attaining the postures on the other four images using still shots. The fast moving Goldcrest at c6m, the Grey Wagtail at c4m, the Green Woodpecker at 13m and the displaying Sprawk at a fair height, I understand that Samsung have produced an 8kTV? Just imagine what an 8k ''Bridge'' might be capable of. :eek!: Cheers

Attachments

• A Def.RBM. Mistley 10.3.15.jpg
    A Def.RBM. Mistley 10.3.15.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 391
  • A Goldcrest. 2..jpg
    A Goldcrest. 2..jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 521
  • A DEF GREY WAG.1..jpg
    A DEF GREY WAG.1..jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 442
  • A Grn.Wdpckr.no.2..jpg
    A Grn.Wdpckr.no.2..jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 365
  • A displaying Sprawk showing flared UTC's from beneath..jpg
    A displaying Sprawk showing flared UTC's from beneath..jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 452
Hi, following my previous post, I've uploaded a different frame grab of the Blackback gull from the same footage. This one is a lot sharper, I think that the previous jpeg had a resolution problem in converting to jpeg.
Still learning !

I think that second gull shot does look a bit sharper.

A few more video grabs in praise of the FZ1000, apart from the RBM (duck), I would have had little chance attaining the postures on the other four images using still shots. The fast moving Goldcrest at c6m, the Grey Wagtail at c4m, the Green Woodpecker at 13m and the displaying Sprawk at a fair height, I understand that Samsung have produced an 8kTV? Just imagine what an 8k ''Bridge'' might be capable of. :eek!: Cheers

Hi Ken, a fine series of 4k still shots. Love the little bird in the second shot.

4k video really is changing the way I use my camera a lot of the time. I have heard about 8k video. The stills from a camera that had something like that would be incredible.

Hi Ken, a fine series of 4k still shots. Love the little bird in the second shot.

4k video really is changing the way I use my camera a lot of the time. I have heard about 8k video. The stills from a camera that had something like that would be incredible.

:t:

I am getting tempted to upgrade my GH2 to a GH4 because that camera also has 4k video - but I will need a larger HD first ...

Niels

Hi Niels
Off topic I'm afraid but...
I'd be interested to hear how you get on shooting video with the 100-300mm lens. I have taken quite a lot of video footage with my G3 and 100-300mm lens and find that footage is unusable (and unsalvageable) if I'm shooting at 300mm and there's even the slightest puff of wind. It causes minuscule vibrations in the lens which translate into ripples through the video footage. As a result, I'm looking into buying a camcorder for when I want to film birds.
Thanks
Hobbes

I do not do frequent video - I tend to forget I have the option. I also do my shooting handheld, not on a tripod. Having said that, I think that the videos I have done has met my expectations, but those expectations have been tempered by the fact that I have been handholding. Here is a link to one that I uploaded for id purposes: I have some that look a bit better, but nothing approaching pro quality.

Niels

I do not do frequent video - I tend to forget I have the option. I also do my shooting handheld, not on a tripod. Having said that, I think that the videos I have done has met my expectations, but those expectations have been tempered by the fact that I have been handholding. Here is a link to one that I uploaded for id purposes: I have some that look a bit better, but nothing approaching pro quality.

Niels

Hi Niels
You've forgotten the link ;), but no worries. I understand where you're coming from. I do 99% my filming using a tripod. If you do get the GH4, I'll be interested to see your video footage at 300mm.
Thanks
Hobbes

Sanderlings in flight

I was out on one of our local beaches today to test the FZ1000 with birds in flight, very overcast and dull so not ideal conditions. I set shutter speed at 1/8000. Perhaps I should also have used exposure compensation, but still learning.

The two attached images are grabbed from 4K video and have been modified for brightness and contrast. The birds wading were taken on video just in case they took to flight.

Attachments

• Sanderlingflight.jpg
    Sanderlingflight.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 450
  • Sanderlingwade.jpg
    Sanderlingwade.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
I was out on one of our local beaches today to test the FZ1000 with birds in flight, very overcast and dull so not ideal conditions. I set shutter speed at 1/8000. Perhaps I should also have used exposure compensation, but still learning.

The two attached images are grabbed from 4K video and have been modified for brightness and contrast. The birds wading were taken on video just in case they took to flight.

The video captured the birds in flight very well, plus I think your idea of filming them standing on the beach "just in case" was a great idea.

I have expressed frustration before at the lag in 4K video starting and stopping and the sort of birds in flight that I am attempting doesn't work well when using 4K video for that reason. See the swallow image I'm attaching. There is no way I could get a shot like that using 4K video, as its just too slow to respond.

Attachments

• Swallow.JPG
    Swallow.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 433
Here are a couple of shots of more static birds where I find the use of 4k video ideal. The albatross shot does have a bird in flight in the shot, but that was an accident, I was filming the albatross, when this shearwater flew past.

Attachments

• Albatross and Shearwater.jpg
    Albatross and Shearwater.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 339
  • Robin.jpg
    Robin.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 435
Hi Niels
Off topic I'm afraid but...
I'd be interested to hear how you get on shooting video with the 100-300mm lens. I have taken quite a lot of video footage with my G3 and 100-300mm lens and find that footage is unusable (and unsalvageable) if I'm shooting at 300mm and there's even the slightest puff of wind. It causes minuscule vibrations in the lens which translate into ripples through the video footage. As a result, I'm looking into buying a camcorder for when I want to film birds.
Thanks
Hobbes

Hi Hobbes, I was just wondering, after thinking about your issue, whether or not you have image stabilisation turned off? If its on, its possible it could create the issue you are talking about.

Hi Hobbes, I was just wondering, after thinking about your issue, whether or not you have image stabilisation turned off? If its on, its possible it could create the issue you are talking about.

Hi Roger
It's great to see you still pioneering the FZs ;). Good point - I do have image stabilisation on. I'll try turning it off and see whether that improves my video capture. It's very frustrating when video is the only record I have of a bird and it's basically rubbish, lol.
Thanks,
Hobbes

Treecreeper

Hello all,

I was out flyfishing today and had a wee break from the brown and rainbow trout with the FZ1000.

I came across a Treecreeper and recorded some 4K video.
The first photo is a frame grab of the bird hopping down a branch. The second grabbed image is the bird in flight, pity the focal point wasn't slightly advanced. The bird then flew into the tree adjacent to me, I continued filming, it spotted me but I got a brief close up shot.

These shots are far from perfect but show the potential of the FZ1000 for recording bird behaviour. It's a pity the zoom isn't a little bigger than X16 optical but I'm sure that Panasonic are working on a 4k video competitor to the new Nikon.

Attachments

• treecreeper hop.jpg
    treecreeper hop.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 511
  • treecreeper flight.jpg
    treecreeper flight.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 505
  • treecreeper close.jpg
    treecreeper close.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 584
Hello all,

I was out flyfishing today and had a wee break from the brown and rainbow trout with the FZ1000.

I came across a Treecreeper and recorded some 4K video.
The first photo is a frame grab of the bird hopping down a branch. The second grabbed image is the bird in flight, pity the focal point wasn't slightly advanced. The bird then flew into the tree adjacent to me, I continued filming, it spotted me but I got a brief close up shot.

These shots are far from perfect but show the potential of the FZ1000 for recording bird behaviour. It's a pity the zoom isn't a little bigger than X16 optical but I'm sure that Panasonic are working on a 4k video competitor to the new Nikon.

Once again the 4k video does a great job. I am using it more and more myself.

I find that because the 4k video uses up a lot of hard disc space, I'm tending to save a few pics from the clip in camera, then after I've downloaded the images to the computer, I then ditch the clip from the computer and save it to an external hard drive, keeping only the saved still shots. If needed, I can go back to the external hard drive and retrieve the clip.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back