• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MCII zoom or 40x DS for Fieldscope III ED (1 Viewer)

markgriff

markgriff
I'm currently using a 24x MC eyepiece with my Fieldscope III ED, a combination that I really like but I was wanting to buy a second eyepiece to compliment these that had a bit more reach for those occasions the bird is a bit far off.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the MCII zoom and 40x DS eyepieces on this scope and which your preferred eyepiece was and why? I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells them locally to allow me to try either and will probably be having to make a purchase through the internet, so any advice and comments would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

I'm currently using a 24x MC eyepiece with my Fieldscope III ED, a combination that I really like but I was wanting to buy a second eyepiece to compliment these that had a bit more reach for those occasions the bird is a bit far off.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the MCII zoom and 40x DS eyepieces on this scope and which your preferred eyepiece was and why? I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells them locally to allow me to try either and will probably be having to make a purchase through the internet, so any advice and comments would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

If you don't mind the short eye relief the zoom will be more flexible.

But depends on how you use the scope.

In theory, the DS 40 is superior, it has about the same FoV as the zoom at 20x with twice the magnification.
Yet the zoom is more user friendly, as Vespobuteo says. It has displaced the DS on my ED50, which is my travel scope. It is easier, at least for me, to scan at low power and then zoom in as needed. Perhaps the view is brighter at the low power and hence more comfortable.
This preference however could be just habit.
The DS 40 may be Nikon's most versatile eye piece, great FoV and decent eye relief. In the 60mm EDIII, there is plenty of light for a 40x image, so perhaps the best of both worlds.

Now that answers another question for me, I was also wondering if there was any difference in brightness between the two eyepieces when at the same 40x magnification..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back