• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indigo Bunting vrs. Blue Grosbeak - pls. HELP! (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I've looked at the pictures in my Sibley's, Peterson's and National Geographic guides and the overlap amongst the pictures only confused me more.

The rub is that I only viewed the bird from the front - and I saw no brown/rufous wing bars.

I got extremely detailed looks (very close up) of the female - but because of the overall brown/tan coloring I couldn't tell if she had the wing bar or not. I did see a definate darkening of the wing but it didn't look like the obvious wing bar of the male.

I saw the female first - on the top of a tall weed in a grassland next to a forest. I thought I was looking at one of the crested flycatchers (she did have a slight crest that was visible while alert) but ruled it out quickly. When male bird began answering her calls I realized I was looking at either an Indigo Bunting or a Blue Grosbeak but because of the front-on angle I couldn't tell.

I also looked through the gallery here and I am coming to the conclusion that until I am very very familiar with one or both of them that I will need to see the wing bar to decide.

Am I missing a key identification mark that is visible from the front? Was the presence of a slight crest significant?

JTF said:
The male blue grosbeak is about the size of a cow bird.
Thanks, I am just a terrible judge of size. Especially when the differences are only an inch and I'm viewing from 40+ feet away. I'd need to see them side by side to tell which was larger.

I'll head back tomorrow and try to get a look at the wing markings.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back