• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (39 Viewers)

On Monday morning, as there were no workmen on site, I took the opportunity to have a look inside the hide. Whilst the construction is obviously sound it is the attention to detail that is lacking. Apart from the numerous gaps between the boards and the frame none of the window frames actually fitted into the openings.

The weight of the two large windows are such that if the fixings were not 100% foolprove and one swung shut it would get pretty close to decapitating anyone sitting there.

On a less serious note the overhang at the front of the shelf appears to small to take a hide telescope clamp.

Oh my days ! :clap:

Alan - I presume you're saying that the wood used for the shelf isn't thick enough for the narrowest that a hide-clamp will take? As the shelf itself has nearly half its depth 'hidden' under the window frame, rendering the useable width of the shelf about half what was requested, this ideally will need to be re-fitted. If it is, then perhaps thicker wood could be used?

Unfortunately I don't think John was at today's work-party so, unless any other member of the Moors crew is on-line, we won't get a report from today. However I'm sure Des will give us an update tomorrow.

Personally I'm not holding my breath - either in anticipation of hearing about completion or that any of the attention to detail lacking thus far will be fully rectified.

Could be a disaster Dave, the utter incompetence of this hide building is now definately beyond belief, I have been taking a back seat and not had much of an opinion as I expected it to be completed well before now, but with the return of the Avo's imminent the ineptitude of the Wildlife Trust is truely staggering :C

Do you have the figures for their Upton arrival dates in conjunction with their first recorded arrival dates at the coast?

Hi Gavo - I will see if I can dig out some stats and post them later on winter Avovet movements preceeding their arrival at UW

On Monday morning, as there were no workmen on site, I took the opportunity to have a look inside the hide. Whilst the construction is obviously sound it is the attention to detail that is lacking. Apart from the numerous gaps between the boards and the frame none of the window frames actually fitted into the openings.

The weight of the two large windows are such that if the fixings were not 100% foolprove and one swung shut it would get pretty close to decapitating anyone sitting there.

On a less serious note the overhang at the front of the shelf appears to small to take a hide telescope clamp.

We have flagged to the Trusts and contractors the issues that all the windows (but particularly these two large first floor windows) pose. Unfortunately other than being able to see a bit more sky the additional height of these units add nothing; however they were shown on the original architects drawings that got planning consent.

Given the height of these windows there is insufficent room for these units to swing through 180 degrees to be caught by catches on the hide wall. There will have to be some form of catch on the roof which will create extra pressure - given the propensity to use nails rather than screws throughout the hide I am not sure how the woodwork will react to the weight pulling down on it.

We have been assured that the current pulley system for the windows strategically placed in the centre of the windows :eek!: will be replaced with something more substantial and less intrusive to viewing. But then this whole project has been littered with broken promises ... :C

WRT the hide windows and other features, the Trust have been warned! A trail of emails exists. By flagging up these issues to the WWT I believe that we, as volunteer wardens and members, have fulfilled our 'duty of care' towards our fellow members. If this advice is not acted upon by those with the executive powers (i.e. the WWT staff) then they will be failing in their duty of care. I wouldn't underestimate the seriousness of this - if someone was seriously injured then they could be answering charges of negligence (or worse).

The fact that they will also be failing in their other duty if this farce continues any further - towards the wildlife - is another very serious issue IMO.

Alan - I presume you're saying that the wood used for the shelf isn't thick enough for the narrowest that a hide-clamp will take? As the shelf itself has nearly half its depth 'hidden' under the window frame, rendering the useable width of the shelf about half what was requested, this ideally will need to be re-fitted. If it is, then perhaps thicker wood could be used?

Unfortunately I don't think John was at today's work-party so, unless any other member of the Moors crew is on-line, we won't get a report from today. However I'm sure Des will give us an update tomorrow.

Personally I'm not holding my breath - either in anticipation of hearing about completion or that any of the attention to detail lacking thus far will be fully rectified.

Oh yes I was8-P
Didn't go down to the Flashes, but was told they were working on it. Had a word with AH from the Trust, he has told them to sort the left screen to the correct height, they will be back to do it (the hide builders didn't build it). AH had a heated meeting with the builders yesterday. I also informed him about the large windows, that they would be better as a smaller wooden opening. This will mean we have 3 glass windows and 2 wooden ones on the front. I listed all the items of concern and he relayed this to the builders who have promised to sort them. I also said that we would fit the benches in the correct place. Re the shelves and interior: I told him that once we are in the hide we will monitor its 'user friendly-ness' and amend as needs be. Like us he wants them out asap.

Last edited:
Tuesday work party at Moors 7th Feb 2012

Today 12 of us started the final phase of this season's work parties schedule.
In the last 2 weeks we have had 17 different people, welcome to Steve yet another new volunteer today.
Final Phase Amy's Marsh/Broadmeadow
The work include:
1. removing the alder saplings from the southern bank of Amy's scrape, these were then used to build up a screen around the back of the sand martin bank.
2. more alder saplings were removed from the 'seasonal pool.
3. The large oaktree along the eastern border of the Broadmeadow was pruned. This involved using the telescopic saw to cut the large overhanging limbs that have shaded the scrub below for years. These branches were then used to shore up the eastern boundary fence.
4. Even more large alder and willow saplings were removed from either side of the Broadmeadow pool bank. These were then woven into the southern boundary barbed wire fence.
5. Some more willows were coppiced behind the east hide.
pics laterB :)John

Avocet return dates

Further to Gavo's request, please find a list of Avocet return dates to UW and also the earliest dates they have been recorded in the River Severn (either River Avon and upstream or Godcliffe on the Welsh side).

We have no evidence that our birds come from the populations wintering in the Devon and Cornwall estuaries rather than say Poole Harbour but lets run with this assumption for the purposes of this comparison:

2011 - 13th February (2 at Portbury Wharf, Somerset on 12th Feb)
2010 - 21st February (7 at Goldcliffe on 21st Feb)
2009 - 1st March (1 at Goldcliffe on 23rd Feb; 1 at Slimbridge on 11th March)
2008 - 27th February (5 at New Passage on 29th Feb)
2007 - 13th March (1 at Slimbridge on 8th March)
2006 - 30th March (2 at Saul Wharf on 31st March)
2005 - 21st March (3 at Severn Beach on 10th March)
2004 - 5th March (1 at Severn Beach on 22nd Feb)
2003 - 18th March (3 at Frampton on 16th March)

Based on today's sighting in Gloucestershire, it would seem to indicate that Avocets should be due any time within the next week.

Birding today at the Moors.
A bit of movement today, involving thrushes starling, redpoll and a calling golden plover that flew south at 10am..
The pool was 90% frozen with the open area approx 100m x 100m to the north of the east hide. Although the temperature never went above 2 degrees the ice was thawing all the time.
species counts:
GCG, Little grebe, cormorant, mute swan pr, canada geese a solitary bird all day, then 70 came into roost (possibly helping to keep the water open). Shelduck pr (flew off early am), Shoveler pr, teal 40, mallard 40, Pochard 25 (16 males), Tufted 35 (19 males), water rail 2 calling in front of east hide late on, coot 150+,
Golden plover, snipe, curlew 11, lapwing 3,
Hering gull 2, LBBG 5
Peregrine adult at least 2 sparrowhawks, stock dove , collared dove 3, Fieldfare 30+ roosting along east path, redwing 5, song thrush, redpoll a few flew over,

Birding today at the Moors.
A bit of movement today, involving thrushes starling, redpoll and a calling golden plover that flew south at 10am..
The pool was 90% frozen with the open area approx 100m x 100m to the north of the east hide. Although the temperature never went above 2 degrees the ice was thawing all the time.
species counts:
GCG, Little grebe, cormorant, mute swan pr, canada geese a solitary bird all day, then 70 came into roost (possibly helping to keep the water open). Shelduck pr (flew off early am), Shoveler pr, teal 40, mallard 40, Pochard 25 (16 males), Tufted 35 (19 males), water rail 2 calling in front of east hide late on, coot 150+,
Golden plover, snipe, curlew 11, lapwing 3,
Hering gull 2, LBBG 5
Peregrine adult at least 2 sparrowhawks, stock dove , collared dove 3, Fieldfare 30+ roosting along east path, redwing 5, song thrush, redpoll a few flew over,

Good to see diving duck numbers increase at the Moors Pool. Something a bit rarer joining them would be nice; there has been a big influx of Smew into East Anglia in the last 48 hours.

Golden Plover is the 83rd species for Upton Warren in 2012.

Flashes Work Parties

Unfortunately with the unfavourable conditions on Sunday we didnt get as much work completed as we would have wished. As a result there will be two further work parties at the Flashes:

Sunday 19th February - 10:00am start
Sunday 4th March - 09:30am start

Work to be completed includes:

- Replacing the gate to the sewage works (a constant weak point in keeping foxes out)
- Blocking a number of holes identified in the fox fence behind the Third Flash
- Reducing the tension in the top of the fox fence to prevent the "tight-rope" behaviour we saw last year
- Strengthening and improving thev areas of fencing regularly scrambled over by the fox last year
- Joining the fox fencing up to the new hide (including burying the fence in the ground)
- Creating a blackthorn and bramble barrier in front of the hide
- Digging out encroaching phragmites on the near shore
- Clearing those islands not treated by the Trust
- Mowing / strimming the islands and foreshore, leaving clumps for Lapwing and Redshank
- Strimming the Hen Pool in front of the hide

As always, any time you can give to the work parties, whether it be a whole day or just a few hours, will be very warmly appreciated.

4 pics from today,
1. the Broadmeadow pool reed bed, after alder removal
2. the screened sand martin bank
3. the southern shore of the scrape after alder removal.
4. the eastern border after willow coppicing and oak pruning

We probably have another 4 weeks before the waders return to this area.
hopefully the work will done in 3 weeks
B :)John

Attachments

• 4 forum Br meadow reeds afta alder removale (2).jpg
    4 forum Br meadow reeds afta alder removale (2).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 4 forum sand martin bank screened (2).jpg
    4 forum sand martin bank screened (2).jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 4 forum sand martin bank.jpg
    4 forum sand martin bank.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 4 forum east border after willow cop and oak pruning (2).jpg
    4 forum east border after willow cop and oak pruning (2).jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 59
Further to Gavo's request, please find a list of Avocet return dates to UW and also the earliest dates they have been recorded in the River Severn (either River Avon and upstream or Godcliffe on the Welsh side).

We have no evidence that our birds come from the populations wintering in the Devon and Cornwall estuaries rather than say Poole Harbour but lets run with this assumption for the purposes of this comparison:

2011 - 13th February (2 at Portbury Wharf, Somerset on 12th Feb)
2010 - 21st February (7 at Goldcliffe on 21st Feb)
2009 - 1st March (1 at Goldcliffe on 23rd Feb; 1 at Slimbridge on 11th March)
2008 - 27th February (5 at New Passage on 29th Feb)
2007 - 13th March (1 at Slimbridge on 8th March)
2006 - 30th March (2 at Saul Wharf on 31st March)
2005 - 21st March (3 at Severn Beach on 10th March)
2004 - 5th March (1 at Severn Beach on 22nd Feb)
2003 - 18th March (3 at Frampton on 16th March)

Based on today's sighting in Gloucestershire, it would seem to indicate that Avocets should be due any time within the next week.

Nice data, Phil,

The Avocet arrival date at UW appears to be very well correlated to the corresponting arrival date on the Severn estuary: Pearson's correlation coefficient (r) = 0.937.

The regression analysis (below) suggests that the most likely arrival date at UW this year will be this Sunday, 12th Feb. (given that the Severn Beach birds turned up today, i.e. 7th February).

It'll be interesting to see if this prediction is borne out. It is obvious, however, that the situation with Avocet is a very dynamic one - with an expanding population on a local and national level, the overall trend over the past 9 years has a gradient of -4 (i.e. on average Avocets have been appearing 4 days earlier per year!).

Attachments

• Avocet Arrival UW versus Severn Estuary.jpg
    Avocet Arrival UW versus Severn Estuary.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 52
... The regression analysis... suggests that the most likely arrival date at UW this year will be this Sunday, 12th Feb... on average Avocets have been appearing 4 days earlier per year!).

Erm, that could be today then folks... (unless in my very finite wisdom I've missed something - like the 4 days/year earlier figure having already been included in the regression analysis)! Which the more I think about it, the more I think it must have been... oh well - back to the beer. B :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back