• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (41 Viewers)

The Hen Pool Hide

At this time the hide is coming into its own: today I had some stunningly close views of a water rail there.

I'm sorry I can't be at the all-dayer tomorrow, but best wishes for 90+ species and 10 warblers.

Peter
Thanks for that Peter
Water rail have gone quiet so will check there, just in case we don't get it elsewhere. 11 warblers would be even better.B :)John

Last edited:
A quick reci today. From late in the morning, for a couple of hours only.
Flashes: shoveler male, gadwall pr, common sand , 10 species of warblers, swift.
few waders and no terns.
Moors: Shelduck 7, lapwing 3 (fem still sitting)QUOTE]

In addition 2 LRP, 1 Common Sand, 1 Snipe (seasonal pool)

The Tufted Duck were again spending a lot of time circling pool in small groups of males chasing 1 fem.

Resident pair of Mute Swans saw off a second pair of swans; one of the interlopers was ringed Z98. Does anyone recall if this one has been at UW before.

Fine photos Alan as always. I think Z98 has been seen. I have some info on some swans I've reported in the past but can't put my hands on it right now. It's been sent ot me by the original ringer. I'll post it when I find it!

Rob

Moors Pool 6-7pm

A quick reci today. From late in the morning, for a couple of hours only.
Flashes: shoveler male, gadwall pr, common sand , 10 species of warblers, swift.
few waders and no terns.
Moors: Shelduck 7, lapwing 3 (fem still sitting)QUOTE]

The Tufted Duck were again spending a lot of time circling pool in small groups of males chasing 1 fem.

Resident pair of Mute Swans saw off a second pair of swans; one of the interlopers was ringed Z98. Does anyone recall if this one has been at UW before.

Spent an hour in the West Hide this evening and saw 4 Gadwall (2 pairs) and 1 drake Shoveler. No Teal|:(|.

great pics - especially the tufties :t:

CROFTY SENIOR HAS VAN TROUBLE

As unimaginable as Ronnie O'Sullivan not attending the Snooker World Championships at The Crucible, it would seem that former Upton-hero, Stuart Croft may miss this year's all-dayer as he has broken down on the M5, junction 17 - the prognosis of the "birding-mobile" is not good. Am awaiting further update.............

See you all tomorrow, wasn't going to be able to make it but due to a change of plans I'll be there.

Good luck early birds.

Oh! and I have a load of home made muffins from Hayley :t:

Crofty has arrived

Stu managed to limp home to the Mecca, thanks to the AA.
Had a series of texts from Crofty Senior (Stu) at the MOORS
The 1st was at midnight with calling gadwall (a species we can miss on the all-dayer). Later text have added : common sand, Avocet, cettis, reed and sedge warblers. And a first for the year TAWNY OWL on the east side. He also adds 'no crakes yet'. At 1.30am he finished with Bedtime!
I am just getting ready to leave at 3.21am.
Best of luck to Belvide and Marsh Lane Boys and girls
Bet lets wup em8-P
see you all later........ 'part timers':-O:-OJohn

Moors - Shoveler, Lsr Whitethroat, Kingfisher, Willow W, Gadwall, Cettis, Snipe, Little Grebe, Herring Gull, Common Sand, Garden Warbler, Rook

Last edited:
Hope you all have a great day - will be thinking of UW as I go across to the Farnes today and hopefully to Bempton on the way back on Tuesday - anywhere else I should go whilst up here in Northumberland?
Lou

Here are the first batch of BIH shots taken this morning.
The first two are the thin billed Chiffchaff, followed by a more average bird, and finally a Cetti's Warbler.

Attachments

• Chiff1.jpg
    Chiff1.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Chiff11.jpg
    Chiff11.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Chiff2.jpg
    Chiff2.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Chiff222.jpg
    Chiff222.jpg