• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

What can I say? There are so many superb scetches and paintings here. Wow! So beautiful, so inspireing! Going through these has reminded me again why I want to draw birds. There's just something in field scetches that...is totally enchanting. Even when looking at other people's scetches I feel as if I'd really seen the bird. You have to get so close to the bird, not physically, but on a more abstract level. You have to put the bird through your head, your arm, your fingertips to get it from the field on the paper.

I've been drawing for who knows how long. Actually many of my first drawings include birds. :) I've been getting more serious with drawing birds just lately (though my camera is at the moment on the way, I think I should start leaving it home so that I would HAVE to make scetches to have visual records of what I've seen. Besides, drawing seems to require so much staring at the birds that taking photos always is time away from looking and learning the poses and patterns and colors.).

Oh my, time to go to sleep or otherwise there is no way I can wake up early enough to catch the early bird catching the early worm.

Elina

Some lovely drawings Josh, the birds are very well drawn, nice and solid shape - the bearded tit is sublime, hope to see some more.

Wow some fantastic stuff Paschalis!!!!

I've been bogged down lately, but have kept painting. The dailies had to take a back seat to some studio paintings for a while because of an upcoming show and some travels. Hopefully, I'll get back to them at the end of May. Anyway, here are a couple of studio pieces I am working on. The blacktail is 24"x36", the eagle is 14"x18", and the raindrops (a revisited piece) is 20"x30"... The deer is the only one that is completely finished (think) and the eagle is very close.

Attachments

• ridgetop blacktailsm.jpg
    ridgetop blacktailsm.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Deserters Eagle2sm.jpg
    Deserters Eagle2sm.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 88
  • rain drops2sm.jpg
    rain drops2sm.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 86
atmospheric, dramatic and intimate, three very different pieces, all of them excellent - even if they're not all finished!

That water thing is splendid - it looks so real, just like a photograph! (I do like the two others as well, they're fantastic, but water is so difficult to paint that that one stood out.)

IMG_4254.jpg

just finished this... hope you like it... Paul

Some pretty drawings there Josh!
Peter what should I say?Agree of course with the others that this water study is more than
outstanding, but the other two are also of this caliber!
This which always fascinates me is your attention on lighting ,creating atmosphere!
My contribution now, is to show how important field sketching can be, in this case a
Bonelli's eagle in flight Illustration based on a small field sketch already shown here.
Attached both, fieldwork and Illustration.

Paschalis

Attachments

• Bonelli's eagle sketch.jpg
    Bonelli's eagle sketch.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Bonelli's eagle.jpg
    Bonelli's eagle.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 88
Been away up north working and only home until the weekend and I'm off again so no time to comment individually - but Wow! what an amazing body of work...

Paschalis - all the Bonelli's sketches are totally fantastic...chicks are stunningly well done!

Peter - brilliant work as always - Josh - beautiful colour and form - Paul amazing detail - truly wonderful...

Oops - think I just commented individually ah well - work this good deserves comment!!

Forgive my lack of posting to all your individual threads - I have to fit a road trip in as well this week but I certainly have time to go take a look at what you're working on - and that is always a thrill...

See you all again in a few weeks time!!

Wow not much posted since I last visited.
Everyone is doing wonderfully.
Well, I want you all to know that I have fallen back in love with painting. I am taking a class right now and we are doing landscapes, which I will try to share at some point when I get around to taking some pictures. I am enjoying myself so much I am actually questioning whether or not I will go back to clay any time soon...Great, one more painter in the mix, right?
Also, I did a couple of self-portraits (turned out horribly) and in each one I have put a bird or two in them. My instructor really liked the added birds. I told her I would put them in whenever I could get away with it.
Anyway, I've been so busy, I miss stopping by the forum. I will try to do better.

Best
Beth

Okay this isn't a landscape and maybe you could squint and cock your head at a weird angle and find a bird in it, but this was my first painting of the term. It was actually a color wheel project. I mixed it up a bit. Just wanted to show at least one thing that I have been doing. The only reason I have a photo of this is my instructor took it and emailed it to me. Hopefully, she will do the same of the others.
So there you go.

Oh and I changed the texture of the yellow square and made the whites more cohesive.

Attachments

• beth waite e.jpg
    beth waite e.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 73
Hi Beth, nice to have you back! Glad you're enjoying the painting, it kinda gets into you and won't go away doesn't it? It would be a crying shame if you neglected the pottery completely though. I reckon one compliments the other very nicely.

This thread has been pretty quiet but all the individual ones are still active and entertaining and generally wonderfully alive and well!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back